When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of throwing in the towel

Guest watchbuff

Guest watchbuff

I usually have the patience of a saint, but my lates Franken just has pushed me to the limit. I have been inbetween handling other peoples watches, servicing and light modding etc.

I have a 16200 with an ETA 2824-2 that is cursed. When I finally got it all together after much trial and error of setting the datewheel overlay and detting the dial just so on the movement, I find that the 2824-2 no workie.

I removed the hour geat an the canon pinion gear came out with it. I did this in test setting the time and the geat that sits under tha canon pinion was "wobbling" around. i think (not sure) that the canon pin has to be attached there somehow, and of course on top goes the hour wheel.

So in my disgust ai Put my tools down and packaged everything up either to sell or tackle later. I'm leaning roward selling and getting a gen but not until after the holidays.

What do you think this stuff would be worth as a DJ ki to someone? Is Fleabay a plan>? I have everything to make an entire watch except that the movenet needs to be replaced or repaired.

(Insert your help here!!!!!)

Or should i just get a 2824-2 from a dealer here (If one would sell one to me) and just start over and get it done.

Just ranting but my hands are shaking and my eyes are buggy.

I need a drink.

I once spent 6 hours trying to learn and fix the keyless worrks in a Dg2183 and subsiquently found out i could buy a new movement for $8 but i learnt and then learnt some more, i set the hands 20 odd times and reset a date wheel 10 times but i learnt. I have [censored]ed up so many things but every time i learnt. I have not bought a watch that is not still working but by god i have learnt a lot (at least i think i have) never give up! but be patient and learn form your mistakes.

Guest watchbuff

Then it is worth the effort I guess? I should buy a 2824-2 (new or used) and just finish it?

Here is the culprit:

This is with the hour wheel on: and then off

The gear (the one with the two lines bisecting it) used to turn with the canon pin (minute hand) Under the is the canon pin supposed to be attached somehow? Im at a loss if this is a quick fix please let me know.

Or else it goes up for grabs for another 2824-2

post-8404-1195083469_thumb.jpg

post-8404-1195083521_thumb.jpg

Don't give up so easily. Maybe just walk away for a bit. I've been modding for years... and I actually took a break for a couple years, and one day when I moved to our new house, I found my box of parts, and have been back at it. Sometimes the best way to learn is by trial. Do you know how many date overlays I've burned through when I first started out? Gummed them up with glue, scratched the numbers, etc. I'm looking at 5 right now, and who knows how many I've thrown away. And don't get me started with hand sets! Good God!, do you know how many sets I've damaged by picking them up with my fingers? Then trying to wipe off the fingerprints, and then I wind up scratching the hell out of them? Or ask me about the time I tried to remove a speck from a dial with an eraser and left a nasty smudge mark. I've screwed up probably more than anyone, but I sure learned a lot along the way. I've screwed up a few movements, but they are great for practice and tinkering.

Good news is, you will have some parts for test fittings etc. I've learned to use old parts if I am trying something new. And if it works, then I transfer that knowledge to my project and use it on my final project.

I have been inbetween handling other peoples watches, servicing and light modding etc.

@WB

Please don't take this the wrong way...

But you've been on this Forum less than 2 months...

I sure do hope that you're not soliciting business for mods here...

Your entire original post is a written contradiction...

We have already had our fair share of wannabe modders hack up our members pieces...

And we are very guarded at this point...

So I implore you...

Practice on your own stuff and do not attempt to solicit the membership here...

TT

Guest watchbuff

I have never donr anything for anyone here beyonf my capability or that I have not done before. SO because I am on here for a mere 2 months it dioes not mean that I have been collecting modding tinkering with reps and gens for just that time so I IMPLORE you, do not make assumptions and I DO NOT solicit and the one person I have done work for on this forum is 110% satisfied. I stand by mty work i just hit a roadblock and venting my frustration.

Im at a loss if this is a quick fix please let me know.

In watchmaking there are no "Quick Fixes" or shortcuts. The sooner you accept this fact, the easier it will be.

Your in way over your head, I can say that with conviction just by reading your posts. I know exactly what is wrong, but if you don't, you have exceeded your capabilities.

Why not step back and invest some time and money into taking the Time Zone watchmaking course. Winter is on the way (at least in Canada) and the course will give you the basic much needed level of knowledge you must absolutely have when your working around a mechanical watch. As soon as you open a caseback, the movement is at risk to damage from mishandling.

Opening other people's watches and offering to do work, without the basics of watchmaking, is certain to end in disaster. It's been tried before, and there are many examples on this forum of the results. In the end, the loser's are always the members who's watches end up damaged.

I am not sure of what training or back ground you have in watchmaking, but the Time Zone course is well worth your time and money.

RG

Guest watchbuff

New movement it is.

I figure I can "learn" on this one while I install the other. I figure a 2824 from a titoni should suffice. As long as it works and is regulated by my watch nazi I'll be happy once I close the caseback and be done with it.

As for me, yes when I am in over my head I'll admit it. I have assembled a watch or two for a member her and a few friends but never has my ego surpassed my ability to say"I can't do that ...yet".

I have done alot of different things, all so far has been to my satisfaction through my staying power to learn the correct way and get it done right with a quality end result. My first project a Frankenjust runs to this day from a year ago.

I guess at some point I would hit a road block but there are ways around them.

This watch that has given me trouble, is actually for me. So the experimentation is at my own cost which i try to minimize.

When i wanted a great watch I did not buy a basic PAm 111H and try all the mods myself I bought one done from an experienced dealer with good feedback.

We learn from our mistakes The Zigmeister, the learning curve may be steep but not impossible.

Im sure I could strap any one member here in to a Navy A6E and they would surely kill themselves. But if I could do it most could if they take the time t learn. Thats the human condition.

All I did was vent and ask for help, instead I got "your in over your head" and "don't touch other members watches if you can help it". Please.

WHEN I do fix this movement and NOT IF. I'll be happy and may just keep it as a reminder ticking away, to never give up.

Watchbuff is a very good dude...I've had many long convos on the phone and in person and I must say his knowledge in this hobby thouroughly impressed me, and at the same time hes a standup guy- Good luck man, cant wait to see it when its all finished!

so I IMPLORE you, do not make assumptions and I DO NOT solicit and the one person I have done work for on this forum is 110% satisfied.

Well what exactly do you call this?

Anyone looking to have their DJ asssembled PM me. I am finishing up some long overdue work on the bench and will be available an a week.

For a reference, take a look at UB7's DJ. It's my latest work. :lol:

I will repeat myself...

DO NOT SOLICIT WORK ON THIS FORUM...

Consider yourself warned...

TT

Guest watchbuff

SO who can solicit? What is the criteria? Dealers? Admin? Or whomever you think is worthy?

I'll consider myself educated, warnings are for children.

Any one can ASK me for help, and that is exactly who I was referring to in that forum.

SO who can solicit? What is the criteria? Dealers? Admin? Or whomever you think is worthy?

I'll consider myself educated, warnings are for children.

Any one can ASK me for help, and that is exactly who I was referring to in that forum.

Consider yourself on a Time-Out WB...

I'll e-mail you when you can return...

TT

Watchbuff is a very good dude...I've had many long convos on the phone and in person and I must say his knowledge in this hobby thouroughly impressed me, and at the same time hes a standup guy- Good luck man, cant wait to see it when its all finished!

LOL!

The horror, the horror.

You know what they say... When the going gets tough, quit. When life gives you lemons, quit. At some point it ceases to be a hobby, after all. Seriously though, as long as you're doing this to your own watch and not turning into the second coming of RBJ, why don't you take a step back, collect yourself, and then come back and finish the job, whether that means buying a new $80 movement or not.

You have to admire anyone who undertakes working on a wristwatch. The parts are so damn small that a person could go blind, or insane, or both. Keep at it though persistence pays, even at the price of sight and sanity.

New movement it is.

All I did was vent and ask for help, instead I got "your in over your head" and "don't touch other members watches if you can help it". Please.

WHEN I do fix this movement and NOT IF. I'll be happy and may just keep it as a reminder ticking away, to never give up.

Roger copy...most got it....you're just venting and this is the place for that....bottom line however is...

What would Bret Easton Ellis do? Er What would Patrick Bateman do....lol

B)

I see you are a fan...

We learn from our mistakes Ziggy, the learning curve may be steep but not impossible.

And we don't want those mistakes to be at the expense of other people's watches. Which is what is going to happen without any training. One of the best ways (apart from going to a watchmaking school) to learn about watches and movements, and not damage them, is to take the TZ course.

Im sure I could strap any one member here in to a Navy A6E and they would surely kill themselves. But if I could do it most could if they take the time t learn. Thats the human condition.

Exactly why I suggested the Time Zone course, take the time to learn before you open someone else's caseback.

Please? Let me use your example. You strap me in the A6E and I ask you what the yellow and blacked stripped handle on the seat does - YOUR seat not mine - as I start pulling on it... then I ask you what this stick between my legs does and push it forward as were heading off the catapult..."How do you fly this thing..." I ask...and I guarantee your response is going to be "Your in over your head" and "DON"T touch anything, your dangerous...sit on your hands...". Swap places and watches for airplanes, someone' else's watch at that, and the comparison is the same.

And for the record, I would not kill myself in your A6E, having spent a lot of time in the back of a F-18...and many other machines...

RG

Sometimes its not quitting but rather realising that the battle you are trying to win is not necessarily worth the trouble. New ETA movements are still available throught a few sources currently, so just starting over with a new one and keeping the troubled one for future experimentation and learning would be more feasible.

I've got a Daytona A7750, seconds at six that was dead as a dorenail, so I decided to have a little fun with some light demolition :rolleyes: . Removing the rotor was easy, removing the next part resulted in various parts falling all over my table in front of me :p . I didn't care, I figured this one was not worth the repair cost since it was an older 7750 and with what I can get in a Daytona rep now (better dial printing, slightly improved 7750, etc.), its better for me to replace the whole thing and save the parts for future learning experiments.

My modding, reparing and learning are for me and me only anyway. Since I started this hobby, I have gained a solid respect for the folks who do the hard core modding. This kind of fine work is not for the faint of heart!!