When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof SFSO

Fireman_Fred

Was I dreaming or did one (or more) of the collectors claim their Super Ocean Steelfish was "guaranteed" waterproof to 1000m? Does anyone know who it was and is this version of Steelfish still available?

i beleive all of the dealers claimed that...on both asian and swiss "fishes"...remember that rbj did a test with his tester and the watch paseed the test...it was one of the first samples that Angus provided him...

But is it really waterproof up to 1000m...don't know...remember that some members tested it (not 1000m) and the results were both positive and negative...

I beleive that the watch is built well, and if sealed corectly and if the caseback is well screwed and the crown well protected with rubber rings...it should be waterproof...up to?...

i beleive all of the dealers claimed that...on both asian and swiss "fishes"...remember that rbj did a test with his tester and the watch paseed the test...it was one of the first samples that Angus provided him...

But is it really waterproof up to 1000m...don't know...remember that some members tested it (not 1000m) and the results were both positive and negative...

I beleive that the watch is built well, and if sealed corectly and if the caseback is well screwed and the crown well protected with rubber rings...it should be waterproof...up to?...

I'm glad I wasn't dreaming !! :lol: I haven't even tried my Asian SFSO in the shower yet... <_< I doubt I'll ever get to 1000m, 42m is the deepest I've ever been ! :mellow:

I love these dpth ratings on watches. The gen makers have to know that the deepest 99.99999% of their watches will ever go is however deep the deep-end of the Country Club pool is. That, and if someone does dive to 300m to salvage a ship or something, they're not going to strap on a 10,000 BlancPain, not because it will crack under the pressure, but because they don't want to dent it.

BTW, one of the watch mags tested a Breit dive watch and it cracked at 1/3 it's rating. If a collector rates a rep to 1000m I'm thinking you can wash your hands, shower w/ two russian hotties, and hit the pool...as long as you don't dive in too forcefully. Isn't that enough?

I love these dpth ratings on watches. The gen makers have to know that the deepest 99.99999% of their watches will ever go is however deep the deep-end of the Country Club pool is. That, and if someone does dive to 300m to salvage a ship or something, they're not going to strap on a 10,000 BlancPain, not because it will crack under the pressure, but because they don't want to dent it.

BTW, one of the watch mags tested a Breit dive watch and it cracked at 1/3 it's rating. If a collector rates a rep to 1000m I'm thinking you can wash your hands, shower w/ two russian hotties, and hit the pool...as long as you don't dive in too forcefully. Isn't that enough?

Well stated, mate... :victory::thumbsupsmileyanim:

I keep all my watches out of water. I never understood why people feel like they need to shower with their watch on.

There are many horror stories of people ruining their genuine Rolexes and Omegas in water. Why risk it?

I greased all the seals on my BCE and it's perfectly waterproof. Swam with it, dived with it (3m) and held it in a powerfull jetstream. No problems what so ever.

My experience is that when you grease and check all the seals, press the crystal (by hand) and thighten the case back it's perfectly waterproof. For god's sake a $50 Swatch is waterproof 5ATM and it doesn't even have a screw down crown nor case back.....

Edited by Rolexman

I greased all the seals on my BCE and it's perfectly waterproof. Swam with it, dived with it (3m) and held it in a powerfull jetstream. No problems what so ever.

My experience is that when you grease and check all the seals, press the crystal (by hand) and thighten the case back it's perfectly waterproof. For god's sake a $50 Swatch is waterproof 5ATM and it doesn't even have a screw down crown nor case back.....

I know what you mean... But somehow, I just freak out at the thought of water entering through the chrono pushers... :blink:

My Asian SFSO has remained bone dry after a whole summer of swimming in a pool, hottubbing, diving, and washing the car. I was willing to take a chance with a $115 watch. I think it was money well spent for sure.

The stem on this thing is so long I don't know how water would get in if screwed down all the way and having the caseback secure.

For the waterproofness alone, I'll never get rid of this watch. Doesn't get any wrist time except when water is on the agenda.