When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 68 Eleanor/Bullitt Mustang

predfan2001

If someone asked me which movie car I would pick to be mine, of course my choice would be the Bullitt Mustang. Today I was looking through some old pictures and found a picture of my 1968 Mustang from 1976 (when my Dad owned it). It actually looks like an old mix between an Eleanor and a Bullitt Mustang. This J code Mustang had a bunch of genuine Shelby parts put on it in the early 70s along with some nasty customizing. It was my first car but I never drove it. We were going to restore it and make it all the way Shelby. Obviously we never finished and it's sit in my garage since. The good news is that even though it looks a little rough, it is rust free and low miles. Maybe I could get it going if I could stop spending $$$ on reps! (even though it is a rep too!)

Then:

aa2.jpg

Now:

aa5.jpg

With my bike:

S6300549.jpg

The good news is I did end up with a 68 Mustang as my first driver:

aa1.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Restore it. It's worth the money. People are paying good money for American muscle nowadays, parts are still cheap and available...and the costs aren't going to drop anytime soon. It's more than worth it to bring it back to some serious, serious glory. Back in high school when I proposed the idea of restoring a 911E to my grandfather...it seemed silly at the time, but parts were available, and not insanely expensive. Investment was worth way more than the car was at the time. Needless to say, the car is now worth multiples of the investment. Old P-cars, BMWs, specific Mercs (280SLs are the new hot Merc), and of course, American muscle...all are red hot right now. Do it...you won't regret the decision.

'69 Boss 'Jet FTW. '67-'68 fastbacks FTW as well. I always had a dream of doing a G-machine with one...however, I would probably end up going with a challenger or a cuda, since they are my first muscle car loves.

If someone asked me which movie car I would pick to be mine, of course my choice would be the Bullitt Mustang. Today I was looking through some old pictures and found a picture of my 1968 Mustang from 1976 (when my Dad owned it). It actually looks like an old mix between an Eleanor and a Bullitt Mustang. This J code Mustang had a bunch of genuine Shelby parts put on it in the early 70s along with some nasty customizing. It was my first car but I never drove it. We were going to restore it and make it all the way Shelby. Obviously we never finished and it's sit in my garage since. The good news is that even though it looks a little rough, it is rust free and low miles. Maybe I could get it going if I could stop spending $$$ on reps! (even though it is a rep too!)

Sweet. Low miles? How many? I see professionally restored mustangs go for some crazy cash these days. good luck with the project and NEVER give up.

Do you have any orig. documentation left on it BTW? I think for that year the build sheet was above the gas tank? If you want I can ask my buddy who sells classic cars

where do get paperwork and stuff.

Guest carlsbadrolex

DAMN... I dont know I could handle having something like that in my garage. I would be taking out a second mortgage and selling the kids to get it restored. I had a 65 mustang when I met my first wife. When she caught pregnant, she convinced me to sell it... I should have divorced her then and not wasted another 7 years!

Maybe if Overhaulin paid me a visit I'd end up with something like this:

575100207_l.jpg

:lol:

A little of Chip Foose's magic, and you'd be well and truly taken care of :) You've got an awesome car there, I'm sure you'll get round to the restoration eventually :)

The good news is I did end up with a 68 Mustang as my first driver:

aa1.jpg

My first car was the '69 Mustang. It really rocked.

It was the summer of '76 and I was just planning to get a beater to go to and from work during summer break, but my father offered to buy the Mustang instead. Talk about awesome parents!

The irony is that I just bought a Camry hybrid yesterday (somewhat boring compared to a vintage Mustang, I know, but a very nice car in its own right). When I told my father about the new purchase this a.m., he suggested that because he bought the Mustang for me, now I should return the favor by buying him a new car.

I wonder how my 84-year-old father would like a new Mustang?

Please do not do a eleanor retro mod on it. There are nearly no 68 fastbacks left, because everyone is eleanoring them. Keep it clean, and drop a nice crate bigblock in there. Id kill for that car.

Im currently driving a 65 resto coupe as my summer car. Actually nothing special, but i love it anyway.

And please dont leave in the garage like that. it hurts me to see it in that state.

Is there any rust on it? and what engine is in it?

Please do not do a eleanor retro mod on it. There are nearly no 68 fastbacks left, because everyone is eleanoring them. Keep it clean, and drop a nice crate bigblock in there. Id kill for that car.

Im currently driving a 65 resto coupe as my summer car. Actually nothing special, but i love it anyway.

And please dont leave in the garage like that. it hurts me to see it in that state.

Is there any rust on it? and what engine is in it?

J-code 302 4v. The engine was rebuilt along time ago and we actually found some NOS J code heads. Also added hi-po exhaust manifolds and a Holman Moody dual plane intake. It will need some freshening up.

The only rust it had was where the hood hinges lay at the inner rear aprons. 4 spots about the size of a quarter. The deck lid and hood will require some fiberglass work but they are genuine Shelby items. The frt valance is NOS Shelby that my dad bought in 1978. A NOS Shelby frt valance sold a few months back on eBay for $5500.00.

How many years have passed since pic #1 and the last pic? It appears to be the same house even though the garage doors have been painted the down spout removed.

Nope, different house. The first pic of the green car was in 1977, the last was in 2007. The garage was so funky because I had a wall leaking and I had stuff thrown around everywhere.

The gold car was my high school car but that picture was taken around 1989. The guy that bought the gold 68 was in it a few months back where I work. He has painted it maroon with gold stripes. I liked the gold better.

Edited by predfan2001

Ahh that brings back memories. My daily driver in high school was a 67 fastback, black on black with a 289 and four speed. Loved that car. Had a number of other 70 and before mustangs as well. Now, I have the Cobra. That reminds me, raffle ticket sales are up for the 2008 Cobra raffle car: www.londoncobrashow.com

Now, get that car back on the road!