When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So were did Panerai's "fame" come from?

ssabripo

I've been a watch "enthusiast" for a few years now, and I've been an Avid Omega fan since a kid. As some of you know, I just fell in love with PAMs recently, and just purchased a modded 177H.

when I show friends and family what I got, they are all like "Panerai? what brand is that? is it good?" :lol:

I must admit that even just as recently as 3 years ago, I had not really heard of Panerai............. but pretty much everyone who likes watches knows about Rolex, Omega, Movado, Breitling, Tag Heuer, IWC, Patek, etc,etc, but not many have heard of Panerai.

so what's the history here?

I want to get educated :)

I've been a watch "enthusiast" for a few years now, and I've been an Avid Omega fan since a kid. As some of you know, I just fell in love with PAMs recently, and just purchased a modded 177H.

when I show friends and family what I got, they are all like "Panerai? what brand is that? is it good?" :lol:

I must admit that even just as recently as 3 years ago, I had not really heard of Panerai............. but pretty much everyone who likes watches knows about Rolex, Omega, Movado, Breitling, Tag Heuer, IWC, Patek, etc,etc, but not many have heard of Panerai.

Some will say, that it is a kind of sterotype answer,non too intellectual,but quality is a very very difficult thing to appreciate.

Panerai is simply that.Pure quality

all these brands that you listed are so publisized that even monkeys in the jungle probably heard about them. panerai is such a special brand that only real enthusiasts know and talk about...

everyone who likes watches knows about Rolex, Omega, Movado, Breitling, Tag Heuer, IWC, Patek, etc,etc, but not many have heard of Panerai.

Their 'anonymity' is one of the things I really like about PAMs. I admit, my favorite thing about them, is that their large dials are very easy to read, but, when wearing one, it's nice to not worry about hearing the "is it real?" that Rolexes seem to always provoke.

Yes, it's a real watch. It tells the time :lol:

Ohh, you meant did I have to sell a kidney to afford one from a shop... I did not ^_^

Edited by TeeJay

Yup as I become more involved with this site and becoming a watch enthusiast I hear more and more about these watches. Whats funny is this guy I played golf with slid one on his wrist after our match and I said wow nice 111h, he couldnt believe I knew about it and I dont even know that much!

One question for me is why if it is spelled PANerai is it abbreviated PAM???????

Yup as I become more involved with this site and becoming a watch enthusiast I hear more and more about these watches. Whats funny is this guy I played golf with slid one on his wrist after our match and I said wow nice 111h, he couldnt believe I knew about it and I dont even know that much!

I am still searching for that special Panerista moment -- the infamous:

"Excitedly spot a PAM. Raise your wrist at the person. Person does too. Exchange big silent knowing grins"

I've been stuck inside my home for a while. Next week, I'm going to a Palm Beach do (it's the start of the season), and hope to meet my PAM soul mate there. ;)

One question for me is why if it is spelled PANerai is it abbreviated PAM???????

PAnerai Model. First thing I asked here. :)

And we want to edumacate you. :lol:

Since you Wiki'ed you already know, Ssabripo, the barebones history of the Xa Mas Flottiglia and its historic importance to the marque.

But Panerai didn't really take off until an Italian-American actor who slurs more than speaks, spied a few chunky watches for a film he was making. He ordered a special set of them, and gave them to his high-powered California pals. In that decade and change, they became THE watch of choice for the nouveaux riche, the famous, the sporty, and those tired of Rolex.

Curiously, as I mentioned on Risti, Panerai is our generation's Rolex. It's a cult watch, par excellence.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=41501

Beats Scientology. :D

I don't know, but I would like to tell you my story here.

It was a long time I liked watches, and/but I never heard about Panerai. I was after AP, PP, IWC, VC, Breitling, all those brands of good taste, history, classy look, that you all are well aware of.

A couple years ago, while browsing a wristwatch book for another brand whose name began with "P" (I am now even unable to remember which brand it was, go figure), I stumbled upon the Panerai pages. Just a couple pages on a 400+ pages book. There were an Egiziano and a vintage model.

Wow, I thought. Strange, but... how appealing. I fell in love istantaneously.

Shortly after I discovered RWG -- and there were literally thousands of PAM enthusiasts (and rep enthusiasts as well) exactly like me! Unbelievable.

My fate was decided. :cupidarrow:

I don't know, but I would like to tell you my story here.

It was a long time I liked watches, and/but I never heard about Panerai. I was after AP, PP, IWC, VC, Breitling, all those brands of good taste, history, classy look, that you all are well aware of.

A couple years ago, while browsing a wristwatch book for another brand whose name began with "P" (I am now even unable to remember which brand it was, go figure), I stumbled upon the Panerai pages. Just a couple pages on a 400+ pages book. There were an Egiziano and a vintage model.

Wow, I thought. Strange, but... how appealing. I fell in love istantaneously.

Shortly after I discovered RWG -- and there were literally thousands of PAM enthusiasts (and rep enthusiasts as well) exactly like me! Unbelievable.

My fate was decided. :cupidarrow:

pretty cool surfer! B)

I still love Omega as my favorite.....but once I saw a PAM on some guy in Borders a few months ago, I was like "WOW, that looks really really REALLY good". I then started reading this subforum for days, and finally got in touch with another member "Phoband", who had the 177, and tried his on my wrist, and I just had to have one.

too long for me to attempt to explain.. so here you are with the entire panerai history and other very useful tech info enjoy... or simply PM sssurfer :D

http://www.panerai.com/s_storia.xpd?mode=r...3&anno=1860

I never get tired of this chronicled history .. especially the old photos of the "Family' and the very posh web site.. .. I am attracted to watches in large part because of the history behind the Time pieces... and the panerai is rich in history .. maybe because of the mystic behind the Italians... ( don't get a big head sssurfer :lol: )I love the history .. but ssurfer ..kruzer..they are the ones to go to for the detailed tech support.. they probably know every "tooth' in every gear in the panerai's B)

ssurfer ..kruzer..they are the ones to go to for the detailed tech support.. they probably know every "tooth' in every gear in the panerai's B)

Your thinking so highly about me is always gratifying, lanikai, thanks!

But I have to say that the little I know fades away when compared to PAMman's knowledge.

And we want to edumacate you. :lol:

Since you Wiki'ed you already know, Ssabripo, the barebones history of the Xa Mas Flottiglia and its historic importance to the marque.

But Panerai didn't really take off until an Italian-American actor who slurs more than speaks, spied a few chunky watches for a film he was making. He ordered a special set of them, and gave them to his high-powered California pals. In that decade and change, they became THE watch of choice for the nouveaux riche, the famous, the sporty, and those tired of Rolex.

Curiously, as I mentioned on Risti, Panerai is our generation's Rolex. It's a cult watch, par excellence.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=41501

Beats Scientology. :D

That's me summed up :lol:

As for Scientology... I read Battlefield Earth in one 12 hour sitting. Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of that fact... :unsure:

Edited by TeeJay

Tag Heuer was the brand that got me into reps (sh*tty Monaco Chrono bought in Bangkok as a first rep). The 3 other luxury brands I've heard of at that time were Rolex (who hasn't?), Omega (did I say Bond?) and Breitling (all pilots wear them, don't they? ;)).

I think the majority of people who only buy watches to complement their image go for one of these 4 heavily advertised luxury brands. People who think a watch is only for telling time don