When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A fantastic, mysterious watch? Or not?

olegunnar

As a newbie, I am honestly surpised that none of the wise members of this forum have actually had any experience with the Omega De Ville Chronometer? How can this be? When I posted a photo and asked for comments or hints of this model, there were no replies. Did I say something wrong, or is this model so unique? I have never actually seen it reviewed, only the Bi-axel chronometer or whats it?, but never this model. What can I do? Perhaps I am too impatient, and that a response should not be expected just after a day or two?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Will

post-9350-1195512548_thumb.jpg

Edited by olegunnar

Hi Olegunnar (Solskjaer?).

The De Ville does not get much attention around here. the only dress-Omegas that seems to be somewhat popular are the Railmaster, Aqua Terra and sometimes the Constellation. I guess you have read By-Tors Omega guide?

Personally, I find it dull... Dressy and classic, but....just dull.

If you like the Deville, buy it and go ahead and make a little review. To show what we are missing out on! :)

The size is a big reason why it's not popular. It's only 37.5mm.

I don't know if Asian 21J versions of this rep exist, but if they do, that's what I'd go for.

Gold plated are a little less popular with rep buyers since the plating is often suspect, stainless steel is a better bet long term. That said, there are many gold enthusiasts on the forum who have some great input on the subject (including ways to protect the plating).

The size is a big reason why it's not popular. It's only 37.5mm.

I don't know if Asian 21J versions of this rep exist, but if they do, that's what I'd go for.

Gold plated are a little less popular with rep buyers since the plating is often suspect, stainless steel is a better bet long term. That said, there are many gold enthusiasts on the forum who have some great input on the subject (including ways to protect the plating).

Thanks for input. I understood the De Ville isnt popular here, since most members appear to go for large (or frankly oversized) watches. I personally think a PO 45mm appears highly disproportionate on an ordinary man's wrist. To me, that's not a watch but realestate! Its a matter of taste, but I dont read such watches as masculine, but rather as a emblem of insecurity in an unstable and unpredictable world. Of course, there are fashions in watch styles, as in everything. I had a 27 mm postwar Tudor Prince once, and it was a beauty, even for its small size. So size is not everything, as in other situations .-) And besides, 37,5 is only 0,5 mm less than most Rolex watches, which is popular enough. Is it something with Omega people?

I shall certainly try to write a preview and read on ways to protect the plating. BTW, why the Asian 21J movement? Is that superior to the ETA 2824? How?

Thanks,

Will

On the contrary, there are many who believe that larger sized watches offer several advantages. "Large watches allow subtle patterns or decorations to be seen and appreciated more easily. The dials, markers, and hands are much more readable. It is much easier to deliver accuracy and reliability in a large watch than in a small watch and shock absorbing, magnetic shielding, water-sealing, finishing, and assembling also become easier with thicker movements and larger cases."

I don't buy into the idea that the majority of people wear oversized watches to stave off insecurity. There are many small watches 38mm or less that in the $20,000+ range. In the end, like you said, it is all a matter of preference. If you like the Omega, go for it. (despite what women will think of you) ;)

So size is not everything

I thinkyou'll find a lot of women disagree with you on that.....!

I've sold a lot of DeVilles.....most labelled as co-axial....( but never bi-axel....isn't that similar to try-sexual ...yeah yeah yeah...)..B)

222D.jpg

110OMEGADeVILLELOZENGE1.jpg

081GOMEGA.jpg

PICT0111copy.jpg

PICT0112copy.jpg