When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What kind of watch was that Huge thing strapped to his wrist?

BobM

Yesterday, my wife and I were at the car wash getting her car washed. Because of my preocupation with watches lately, she has been making a point of looking at people's watches. She said to me, "That fellow has on a BIG watch." I tried to manuver into position to see the watch. It was hidden under his shirt cuff ... but I kept manuvering.

When he paid for his wash (he was right in front of us) I saw the watch. It was not big, It was HUGE! I was able to get a good look at it as we all were waiting for our automobiles to come thru the wash line. I could not see any brand name on it.

It was at least 50mm, maybe 60 ... looked to be perhaps 12-13mm thick. The dial was black with large white arabic numerals at every hour postion. It was a chronograph mechanism, with subdials at 12, 3, and 6 ... and with running seconds at 3. It had standard pushers at 2 and 4. It was hanging on his wrist by a black calfskin leather strap with white saddle stitching. I never got to see whether the strap was fastened by a deployment clasp or a simple buckle. If the watch displayed date or day/date, I did not see that.

I have never seen anything like that and I do wonder what it might have been. Any ideas?

:g:

I have never seen anything like that and I do wonder what it might have been. Any ideas?

Sounds like this German watch, minus the tourby:

1108ssw6gd1.jpg

Fleabay Item number: 330190251291

- automatic movement with 20 jewels

- stainless steel case

- case diameter without crown 50 mm / 2.0 in (!!!!!)

- case height 13 mm / 0.5 in

- weigth 130 gr / 4.6 oz

- will fit a wrist size up to 24 cm / 9.5 in

- display of day, month, & date

- genuine leather band

- hardened scratch proof mineral glass (mwahaha)

May have beenan Uhr kraft, i was reminded by another thread, i remember seeing one with a case like the big russian driver, a chrono with a white dial and black numbers, so if they do it that way they probebley do it the way you saw it, i cant find it on their website now?

uboat that looks like the description

Good guesses guys. We all knew it must've been a "German watch". But which?

This one looks like the one, but for the fact that Bob would've mentioned that huge bulging CG. It looks like a nursing mother's nipple...sorry for the gross out. :p

I believe TWP wears that, along with his Grahams.

Yesterday, my wife and I were at the car wash getting her car washed. Because of my preocupation with watches lately, she has been making a point of looking at people's watches. She said to me, "That fellow has on a BIG watch." I tried to manuver into position to see the watch. It was hidden under his shirt cuff ... but I kept manuvering.

When he paid for his wash (he was right in front of us) I saw the watch. It was not big, It was HUGE! I was able to get a good look at it as we all were waiting for our automobiles to come thru the wash line. I could not see any brand name on it.

It was at least 50mm, maybe 60 ... looked to be perhaps 12-13mm thick. The dial was black with large white arabic numerals at every hour postion. It was a chronograph mechanism, with subdials at 12, 3, and 6 ... and with running seconds at 3. It had standard pushers at 2 and 4. It was hanging on his wrist by a black calfskin leather strap with white saddle stitching. I never got to see whether the strap was fastened by a deployment clasp or a simple buckle. If the watch displayed date or day/date, I did not see that.

No idea, but I'm never afraid to ask someone about their watch if I like it. If they like their watches as much as we like ours, chances are that they'll be more than happy to talk about it.

Good guesses guys. We all knew it must've been a "German watch". But which?

This one looks like the one, but for the fact that Bob would've mentioned that huge bulging CG. It looks like a nursing mother's nipple...sorry for the gross out. :p

I believe TWP wears that, along with his Grahams.

No, not the uboat. I looked at the link you have provided. The one I saw had both the stem and the pushers on the right side. The case was perfectly round, with a smooth, domed silver bezel. The numerals were all the same size. The subdials were inside the numerals; they didi not cover or obstruct any of the numerals. The numerals at 12, 3, and 6 were all fully formed. The more I think about this the more I believe this watch (or was it a clock straped to his wrist?) was surely 60mm across.

No idea, but I'm never afraid to ask someone about their watch if I like it. If they like their watches as much as we like ours, chances are that they'll be more than happy to talk about it.

You are right! Dammit! I should have OHHed and AAAHHHHed over his watch and asked about it.

By the way, he was driving an SUV of some sort and had 'Honorary Consular' plates. Could have been from southern Europe, but also looked like he might have been from Central or south America. Maybe that might give us some clues as to likely style preferences.