When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you think a Rep Watch value guide would be helpful?

lnoblesus

I am not sure if I am the only one that thinks this would be helpful. But I know that brands like Rolex, Cartier, etc. use to have a used market value guide. I have always purchased reps from either dealers or other members...Now that my taste in rep is changing and I plan on placing some of my rep for sale, I want to price them at a fair value. But what is a fair value?!? I have seen threads dealing with the issue of dealers and their pricing and some of the issues regarding what members are charging for rep they are selling. I just think it would be helpful for not just the noobs but members like me to get fair value for our reps. I just wanted to put this out there to see if it is something the would make our community better.

_41347321_replica.jpg

In need of an update, but here is the link

So is this an endorsement? I came across this a few times in my search for reliable info on reps, but wrote it off since it seemed too much like the fake forums about reps. Never really looked at it, so the depth of my perception was low. If the daytona king says its good, its good enough for me!

It's always nice to know good sources to glean trustworthy info from, thanks.

It is not easy for me to grasp anyone buying rep watches with the prospect that they can be sold later and what the market value for them is. I know that many members trade and sell their reps and there is nothing at all wrong with that and it should be encouraged. It takes the customs risk out and many of us have done mods that make the watches far better than when first purchased. When we get into values though, that is something which belong in the gen market. A replica watch is a novelty, a novelty which many of us take seriously and find much enjoyment from collecting these illicit little treasures, but placing fair market values on reps is not really going to happen, nor should it. We all would like to see reps priced as low as possible, and that is the main attraction, as well as what sets the standard for the market.

So is this an endorsement? I came across this a few times in my search for reliable info on reps, but wrote it off since it seemed too much like the fake forums about reps. Never really looked at it, so the depth of my perception was low. If the daytona king says its good, its good enough for me!

It's always nice to know good sources to glean trustworthy info from, thanks.

Less an endorsement & more an answer to your question. The book is pretty good, but a bit dated since it has not been updated for a few years. But I think it is good reading since it covers a number of popular brands/models & provides basic guides and recommendations that are still useful. The author even references some of the content in RWG (reviews, tech guides, etc.) on his website.

Richard Brown, if I may say with all politeness, is a [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]

Let's not make this even more popular so every single person on the street has easy access to reps. Let the masses get scammed, its better for us. You may hate me for being so harsh, but TOUGH COOKIES. I want to look exclusive and rich.

That being said, the best replica value guide is this message forum. Do some careful searching and reading and you'll be knowledgeable and up to date with the latest models and releases.

If a rep has been modded in some way which is actually beneficial to it, ie re-lumed, better quality movement, crystal been AR coated etc, then a re-sale price should certainly reflect that, and be higher than the original sale price (even taking into account that the item is now pre-owned, the work done to it, improves it from it's original state, so the original price no longer really applies) That's not to say that people should start trying to charge silly money for a modded watch, as after all, it is still only a rep, and not a genuine item, but, beneficial mods should definitely be taken into account.

With regards to the cost vs value, I'd have to agree that these are novelty items, and, novelty items, can often command very high prices. As I've mentioned before, I'm a collector of movie memorabelia. I read an article recently that a piece of plastic celery, worn by Peter Davison in a charity-filmed short of Doctor Who sold for

Making it simple, I would say a fair price would be 20 % off the cost of your watch plus the expenses of your mods, if any.

In example: NEW Ingenieur Chrono AMG....$250

Delivery..................................$20

Double AR coated.....................$55

-------

$325

Fair price for USED (20% off)....................$260 (plus delivery)

It may depend also in the condition of the watch, or the exclusivity of it... but for those reps we all constantly see in the forums I, in example (and that's just my opinion), never pay attention to a used watch more expensive than that "fair" price :)

It may depend also in the condition of the watch, or the exclusivity of it... but for those reps we all constantly see in the forums I, in example (and that's just my opinion), never pay attention to a used watch more expensive than that "fair" price :)

The problem with pricing comes with rare watches. I had serious problems pricing my Speedy, for instance, and had lots of PMs for a "fair price" that was half of what I sold it for in the end.

Guys,

I'm with Pugs.

My vocation is purchasing. I have made a lot of money from my abilities, and equally lost similar amounts.

When it comes down to the crunch, an item... any item... no matter what.... is worth as much as someone pays for it.

Take your motor vehicle guides... red/blue /green.. book... they are market average guidea. The people who put them together have 1000's of car sales to compile statistical info.... and guess what... they are at best an indication. (and these companies make a sizeable income from publishing the data)

There are too many contributing factors in a final price.... area, how used (by whose defintion), model popularity for the region, etc etc... my god, in an area such as motor vehicles... which is scrutinised, analyzed.. etc .... some of the people, get their pricing right, some of the time. Dealerships employ expert valuers for this purpose... and sack them regularly for not getting it right! And these guys have industry and local knowledge, do it 30 times a day, and have a handy little data generated model, called a buying guide to work from!

When a buyer and a seller get together, and a deal is struck... that is the value of that item. If 5 minutes later, another two get together, on the same item/condition, and a price say 20% lower than previous is reached, that then becomes that items' value.... ad infinitum.

Can I also refer you to a recent article published here, which exposed the practice by Omega, of putting their own watches up for auction, and shill bidding them up, just so a higher selling price was established for that model. Nothing more than artificially contrived "valuations" (sort of sounds like some of the rep pricing we have recently seen :p )

A buyers price guide for rep watches?... New or used......Not a snowflakes hope in hell!

Do your own research!...................Caveat Emptor.

Offshore