When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Aquatimer AR : double or not?

chad

I was curious because I have not seen one photo that looks like a cousteau or big bang as far as AR.

Certainly it looks nothing like gen or a custom coated crystal from a few friends here.

So either it is single sided or they have found a new source for double AR there that is inferior to older double AR watches....

??

Any thoughts?

Because every photo posted looks nothing like gen/custom double AR or HBB/cousteau AR so I would like some more opinions....

Aren't you curious to know if you are getting what you pay for or if the AR is crap? (which looks like the case)

The biggest tell in an IWC/Breitling rep is double AR. I see reps on the subway in NYC here all time the with no or single sided AR, but most importantly it just looks great.

I see one breitling bentley with no AR get on the train uptown twice a week :)

Why a special thread. Euno already answered you - double AR <_<

I agree... Whatever the AR is, it's not terribly impressive.

That's an understatement...

In fact, it looks like the manufacturer mixed up the AR spray with the ER spray (extra reflection). Almost every one of Euno's pictures features prominent crystal glare.

I don't know about Euno's AR quality, but I have bought this rep. from another dealer and the AR quality is not anywhere as good as the Hublot, or cousteau. If you really want that watch, count on probably having to get the crystal recoated.

Mine really looks single coated - if you look at a reflection of a light in the crystal, you see 2 reflections, one white reflection, and one with a blue tint. I could be wrong, but if it were 2x ar, wouldn't there be a single, blue-tinted, reflection, as seen on the Ultimate BCE, HBB, or Cousteau? This one looks just like the original, non-ultimate, BCE, and definitely could use an upgrade.

post-6577-1196391849_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdzsmith

Mine really looks single coated - if you look at a reflection of a light in the crystal, you see 2 reflections, one white reflection, and one with a blue tint. I could be wrong, but if it were 2x ar, wouldn't there be a single, blue-tinted, reflection, as seen on the Ultimate BCE, HBB, or Cousteau? This one looks just like the original, non-ultimate, BCE, and definitely could use an upgrade.

The AR looks much better to me in the cdzsmith pic, but still worthy of a better coating. I'd like to see one of these in person, though this probably isn't a watch I'll be buying...

The AR looks much better to me in the cdzsmith pic, but still worthy of a better coating. I'd like to see one of these in person, though this probably isn't a watch I'll be buying...

I just checked my Cousteau, and the light reflections do show up as 2 images, but both have the blue tint, due to the 2x AR, I believe.

Another issue that I haven't heard discussed - the chrono sweep hand on my Aquatimer has a definite stutter, very noticeable as it hits the 60 sec mark. As the sweep second hand approaches the 12:00 position, and the chrono minute subdial begins to increment, the sweep hand shudders, stalls, or jumps noticeably. Even my Omega SMP chrono, with it's problem-plagued movement doesn't do this...

Another issue that I haven't heard discussed - the chrono sweep hand on my Aquatimer has a definite stutter, very noticeable as it hits the 60 sec mark. As the sweep second hand approaches the 12:00 position, and the chrono minute subdial begins to increment, the sweep hand shudders, stalls, or jumps noticeably. Even my Omega SMP chrono, with it's problem-plagued movement doesn't do this...

Sounds like it could be a simple adjustment for The Zigmeister to make. The same symptom on a ETA 7753 of mine was.

If the dealers are advertising double ar and it is single I would like them to address this or least change the ads on there sites.
I know people get more annoyed about people complaining about watches here than people getting bad watches but wouldn't it be nice if a super rep came out once that did not have hands and screws falling off of it and not living up to what they claimed it would.
These guys keep raising prices and keep lowering QC and I still get flamed for nitpicking.......

Sounds like it could be a simple adjustment for The Zigmeister to make. The same symptom on a ETA 7753 of mine was.

You're right Chad.

I know that people give u a hard time sometimes, but to me your nitpicking is welcome. I've been collecting watches for 20+ years; that means that I've been nitpicking for 20+ years :D

My watch happens to be perfect all around. I appears that some of our dropshipping fellas could give a rats azz about shipping out an inspected example. Some things never change.

Anyhow, I agree that prices are going up stupidly. QC should be included with the fee hikes.

Cheers

PS. The AR is not bad on the Slevin. And I'm comparing it to someone's brand new genuine black-dialed Tag Monza chrono that has incredible AR ;)

If the dealers are advertising double ar and it is single I would like them to address this or least change the ads on there sites.
I know people get more annoyed about people complaining about watches here than people getting bad watches but wouldn't it be nice if a super rep came out once that did not have hands and screws falling off of it and not living up to what they claimed it would.
These guys keep raising prices and keep lowering QC and I still get flamed for nitpicking.......

This is a discussion board and we are here to do just that .. so attention to detail is an admirable trait.. one that in this hobby is much needed at times.. with that said here is my "opinion" on the double AR of the Aquatimer....

remember the first one that arrived .. HEHE... hands falling off, the AR was in my estimation double but "weak", Well the replacement was like night and day.. I thought Eunos looked great ( IMHO nothing can beat the SOSF at the moment unless you go with HauteHippie or k222 .. with that said .. my second Aquatimer is double and stronger than the first...

the maker who commissioned this watch must have sourced the crystal out to a different factory than the SOSF and Breitlings.. I have a feeling the quality will vary.. or let's just hope it was the very first few that went unnoticed.

I am not defending the collectors but the maskers are the ones with the responsibility to uphold their end of the bargin... proof is in the second Aquatimer i recieved which had better Quality in the AR..

If this were a genuine I would surely take it back for a refund.. but this is the business of replicas... it is after all "Illicit" and i feel good about getting improvments with the replications of the genuine article.... it is getting better all the time...

just my 2 cents

Lanikai

I have the latest Ingie with so called Double AR and it is not! It looks the same as the Aquatimer, single with a blue tint. The crystal never looks to dissapear in certain light conditions as it should with proper AR. Looking forward to getting my K2222double AR Ingie spare fitted to this watch.

THe AR is not such a massive issue on a flat crystal hence why Rolex have never bothered I guess but the AQT is domed so I imagine that in the flesh it will be worse and more noticable than some.

THe AR is not such a massive issue on a flat crystal hence why Rolex have never bothered I guess but the AQT is domed so I imagine that in the flesh it will be worse and more noticable than some.

You might think it doesn't make a difference on a flat crystal, until you have a flat crystal coated. After I coated my flat VCO and Ingenieur, they were like entirely different watches.