When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Semi-bubbleback 1952

dieselpower

Diesel -- Beautiful watch & nice gift. You should be expecting a new car for your next birthday.

Are you going to replace the old strap? Or maybe give her a nice aftermarket steel Jubilee bracelet as an option like this one (I am assuming it is a ladies Oyster-Perp)

ladiesjubilee.jpg

Here is the link

You might even consider overhauling the case & crystal (I think most women prefer new/sparkle over old/patina (especially, when it is someone else's patina) on their jewelry).

Hi Freddy333,

Sorry I forgot to point out it is not a ladies watch it is a gents with 19mm lugs. Although it is a gents it is quite 'delicate' and my wife likes large watches anyway so she is very happy with it. She also likes the patina and does not mind the fact that it has been 'previously owned' so all that is good but you have given me an idea about the bracelet though - I will have a look at the link you kindly posted and see if there is a 19mm bracelet available (Xmas is coming!). The story of the crystal is not a happy one however. The original crystal (glass) had a curved profile at the edges but was damaged by my watchmaker upon removal (admittedly it was already cracked) and they are not made anymore so he had to fit a crystal of the correct diameter and polish its harshly angled edge to try to replicate the profile of the original. This has not been altogether successful but as the glasses are no longer available I don't see a way around it. If anyone knows where I might get a NOS glass I would be most grateful for the info. I don't know what size it is other than measuring the diameter if the inside of the bezel - which appears to be 29.5mm.

Thanks for any help/suggestions,

Dieselpower.

Nice vintage Rollie!

These are good value these days, if one dont mind the small size. I have picked up an Oysterdate (6694) and modified the endlinks on a 20mm replica band to fit.

Is yours a true Chronometer, or a redial?

All original never been re-finished. The only thing not original from 1952 is the glass.

Diesel -- They also sell very good quality 19mm (men's size) jubilee bracelets (as well as Oyster, etc.). But in the larger sizes, you can go up a notch to the Italian-made Milano bracelets (similar quality to Rolex OEM) that, as I recall, sell for just a couple hundred dollars. Of course, the clasp will not contain the crown, but you could always swap that part over from a rep bracelet of similar style/size. But most women do not care whether the clasp has the crown or not--as long as the overall quality and feel is 'luxurious', which is the case with the Milano bracelets.

I do not think a glass (mineral glass) crystal would be correct for that watch. Are you unable to locate the proper plastic crystal or do you just prefer the look of glass (which has a slightly green (think Anniversary Milgauss) appearance when viewed from the side)?

Its not so much the colour of the glass, I don't care about that but its the shape that my watchmaker says he can not get any more. Its difficult to describe but if you look at the photo below you can see that the bezel (in profile) is shaped at a 45 degree angle rising to where it comes into contact with the crystal, well, on the correct crystal that line carries on and then arcs to near horizontal, a bit like a flattened dome.

As you can see, the replacement crystal has vertical sides and this is wrong. Like I said, my watchmaker has rounded off the top edge to reduce the harshness of the look but it is not right and makes a surprisingly big difference to the look of the watch. With the correct crystal it looks much more old fashioned.

I hope this makes sense.

post-2563-1196414469_thumb.jpg