When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does AR on a watch always emit a colored tint?

Jawo

I just got my Baume & Mercier Riviera in RG from Andrew today. On his site, it is advertised that this watch comes with AR and saphire crystal. When I look at it, there does not seem to be any colored tint from the crystal. Do all AR coatings emit a colored tint? There seems to be quite a bit of glare from the crystal. Here is a link to the watch I bought :Riviera. Other than that, it is a fantastic rep.

A crystal will only reflect color if AR is applied to the outside of the crystal. As it doesn't say "Double sided" in the description, you likely only have AR on the inside of the crystal. If it is a deep enough tint, you should be able to catch a glimpse of the blue tint on the inside.

I'd have to disagree with Andrew... Single AR does have a hue. Double is just more noticeable. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... You're not really supposed to easily see the color of an AR coating. It should be subtle. All these rep coatings where you see an obvious, prominent blue tint are unrepresentative of true genuine AR you find on the genuine watches. Good AR makes the crystal (and the AR itself) disappear. When you intentionally reflect an overhead light source in the crystal, the reflection will be slightly tinted by the AR, be it single or double AR. Florescent light makes the color especially noticeable.

I agree with what has already been said.My Tag Aquaracer has single sided AR on the inside of the crystal and does have some glare,alot less than with no AR as with my LV sub.

The blue/green/purple colour you see in an AR coating are the colours in the light spectrum that the AR cannot dissipate and so only those colours are visible.

Hope this helps.I have had all my reps from Andrew and find him to be very honest and accommodating if you have any issues with a rep he sends.

Be lucky people

:)

@ chieftang the one thing i noticed on the gen SOSF was the blue reflection in the overhead spots in the AD (white dial) so that one does have very noticable AR, is that just because of the floresant light in the spots?

You will see a blue tint on genuine AR, but what CT is saying is that REP AR is not accurate. Tou have to see a rep AR to know what he is speaking about, but what you will see is blue in just about any light condition. A friend dropped by with his new Chopard rep this week and I had to ask if the dial was blue or black because the rep AR was just that invasive. Genuine AR will not be seen unless you turn the crystal just right towards a light source. Its very subtle.

@ chieftang the one thing i noticed on the gen SOSF was the blue reflection in the overhead spots in the AD (white dial) so that one does have very noticable AR, is that just because of the floresant light in the spots?

Yes, that is where the color shows up... in the spots. You shouldn't look at the crystal an see the entire surface looking blue as in the rep photos.

Thanks guys, i would say from that that the AR on the SOSF is about same as the gen when i had voth together that day the spots shoed up the same and in daylight they gave the blue tone the same. now where can i find a gen ingy to compare?

Thanks guys, i would say from that that the AR on the SOSF is about same as the gen when i had voth together that day the spots shoed up the same and in daylight they gave the blue tone the same. now where can i find a gen ingy to compare?

Based on the pics I have seen, the AR on the Swiss SFSO is the only rep AR I wouldn't strip and redo.