When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lange 1 (Zeitzone)

Victoria

This makes my fantasy look rather pathetic.....but I like it, it's different alright.

Lange.jpg

Wow! I kinda like it, Emmzy...probably because Langes are difficult to find, even in the real world. I have no reference for them, other than my grandpa's old watch (which I didn't care for, actually. What a fool).

Thanks for the post-pic!

If anyone needs a hit put out...pm me...will do in exchange for this replica...

haha...oh man, this is like my dream rep...I dont know if I want the 40k one, simply because no one would believe me...but the Lange 1 moonphase, would fit in nicely with my gen brietling, gen cartier and new rep. anniversary sub...

*drool*

Excellent photo review, Victoria. Superb photos. The only real flaw (other than the fact that the rep case is larger than that of the gen) is that the running seconds subdial (gen) is a 24-hour dial on the rep.

I have 2 of these watches, one gold, one stainless steel, but the moonphase version, that is identical to yours but with a moonphase arch at the top of the subdial which, like yours, is a 24-hour register. Also, neither of mine have the cities around the perimeter, are just the "standard" ALS Lange 1 Moonphase. Both are handsome watches, and the stainless version set off a near frenzy in one of the local mall jewelers when I wore it in there. No one noticed the absence of the running seconds, but all 3 all but drooled openly during their foot-and-a-half distance inspection. These are rare watches, and I'm surprised we don't see more of them. Every time I wear one, I am impressed anew at the quality of workmanship and detailing in an Asian 21J watch.

Thanks again for the fine photos of a classic timepiece.

Excellent photo review, Victoria. Superb photos.

Thanks, Doug!

The only real flaw (other than the fact that the rep case is larger than that of the gen) is that the running seconds subdial (gen) is a 24-hour dial on the rep.

That seems to be the case. I've seen another version of the Zeitzone, without those blue mini-subdials near the bigger ones (I'm scared it might've been a really good rep though).

Actually, here's a question.

If the Lange 1 has no proper "watch dial" in the traditional sense of going around the watch, is it still correct to speak of the main time-telling device as a subdial?

I have 2 of these watches, one gold, one stainless steel,

Wow, lucky dog!

I daresay this thread will chivvy out, like it has you and Emmzy, all those Lange 1 owners.

but the moonphase version, that is identical to yours but with a moonphase arch at the top of the subdial which, like yours, is a 24-hour register.

I used to be very big on moonphases when I was a young girl, not too much now. Not too sure why that is, as it's a beautiful complication.

Also, neither of mine have the cities around the perimeter, are just the "standard" ALS Lange 1 Moonphase. Both are handsome watches, and the stainless version set off a near frenzy in one of the local mall jewelers when I wore it in there.

Well, jewellers and not AD. That's a good thing. ;)

No one noticed the absence of the running seconds, but all 3 all but drooled openly during their foot-and-a-half distance inspection. These are rare watches, and I'm surprised we don't see more of them.

These must be from a very early batch, when rep dealers were more diversified. It seems now they target marques, and simply don't have Nardin, Glassh

Hi Victoria!

Wow! Beautiful watch, but excellent photography! Are you a pro? Nicely done!

Thanks, HikeUSA! (Nice ID, BTW)

Nahhh. Unless by "pro" you mean...still nahhh. ;)

My Sony does all the work for me. I do regulate some of the settings, but it's 90% the Carl Zeiss lens at work. :)

Thanks! I plan to hike the whole country........hehehe!......maybe! I still have to finish 48 of the 54 fourteeners of Colorado!

Now, just imagine what you could do with a Nikon or a Canon DSLR! I beat you could take one of those amazing sunsets in Miami!

Enjoy your warm weather! We had 6 inches of snow today!

Thanks, HikeUSA! (Nice ID, BTW)

Nahhh. Unless by "pro" you mean...still nahhh. ;)

My Sony does all the work for me. I do regulate some of the settings, but it's 90% the Carl Zeiss lens at work. :)

Victoria. Interesting semantic point regarding the "sub" dial on the Lange 1; perhaps it should more accurately be referrred to as the "smaller dial", period. Yet, since the main, or larger, dial has no sweep second hand, the smaller dial on the Lange has the same function as that on, say, the Portuguese chrono where the running seconds at 6 is referred to as a subdial. Whatever, on the gen Lange the smaller dial is for running seconds, but undoubtedly was impossible to replicate with an Asian 21J. Nothing anyone is going to notice since ALS's are terra incognita even to many rep collectors.

You're right about a Lange AD; would have spotted either of mine as a fake in 3.2 seconds, even from a few feet away. All mall jewelers know about Lange, if they've even heard of it, is that they are a) unique, and B) expensive as hell. Hence, they were impressed. Probably thought I was a crack dealer.

Yes, I bought both of these maybe 3 years ago, in the earliest months of the addiction. I rarely see them at all anymore. I had a non-moonphase version, too, but sold that to a friend about a year ago.

Agree with you on Blancpain. I've long lusted after a good BP rep. Dave Gates, who used to be a regular on this forum, had one but wouldn't sell it.

Agree with you on Blancpain. I've long lusted after a good BP rep. Dave Gates, who used to be a regular on this forum, had one but wouldn't sell it.

Yeah, he's not doing too well, I heard. I'm not shy, but something has prevented me from sending him a get well-PM. :(

Thanks for the semantic point deciphering. Good call. Smaller dial it is.

I have tonnes of relatives in the general area where Lange have their headquarters. Heard the 'museum' is phenomenal. A swing-by is in order. :)

blancpainnf9.jpg

Robert, that's the one Doug mentioned! Cool, thanks! I'd love to own that watch...

The reason I used to not to be interested in rep watches, is that I thought it was only about Rolexes. Well, it turns out it's about a few other marques than that.

But STILL these kinds of watches like Lange, Blancpain, Piaget, even Parmigiana, are not all that repped. That's a real shame.

Well... Sorry but... this is a very bad rep. I find it gross.

Lange is one of the finest watch brand in terms of "finition", it can't be repped.

LOL, yes, I can see that point actually! The counterfeiters gave it that good ole college try, but it's just not the same thing with such a marvel of mechanics that is the Lange marque.

In many ways, it would be easier to "swallow" a Patek Sky Moon Tourbillon rep, which I also have, and which I'll post a pictorial review maybe next week -- not because it's not as intricate.

But Patek is the sine qua non of taste. Lange is another level of appreciation and complexity. It's got that cold German touch that allows you to admire it, without becoming soppy about it. That's a great thing.

Anyway, thanks for the honesty. ;)

But Patek is the sine qua non of taste. Lange is another level of appreciation and complexity. It's got that cold German touch that allows you to admire it, without becoming soppy about it. That's a great thing.

My favorite in terms of taste is Blancpain, for both sport watches (FF...) and complications.

Just behind, Girard Perregaux, Audemars Piguet, Lange, Glashutte...

Patek Philippe... Apart from Nautilus and Heure Universelle I don't see anything worth its fame. Same for VC...

Finally de Bethune and de Grisogono brings us the marvel of italian style... !!

Anyway, thanks for the honesty. ;)

Thanks for your open mind !! :-D

This is a hard rep to "pull off" - not from "how different does it look from the gen" - but from a "position in life" perspective. A real Lange costs probably 3-5x that of gen PAMs/Rolexes/IWCs (or course, sans diamonds). I suspect most people could believe that you've splurged and bought a $5k PAM, even if you drove a Honda. But a Lange is a $20k+ watch, and unless the rest of you is similarly set up, that immediately screams "FAKE"!!

I work in a pretty high-end environment, Ivy League types, lots of Bimmers and Benzes in the parking lot, but if I showed up wearing a Lange (or a Patek, for that matter), there would be some skepticism in the air ;)

Having all that said, it IS an awesome rep. Narikaa has Lange reps, but not sure how accurate they are.

This is a hard rep to "pull off" - not from "how different does it look from the gen" - but from a "position in life" perspective. A real Lange costs probably 3-5x that of gen PAMs/Rolexes/IWCs (or course, sans diamonds). I suspect most people could believe that you've splurged and bought a $5k PAM, even if you drove a Honda. But a Lange is a $20k+ watch, and unless the rest of you is similarly set up, that immediately screams "FAKE"!!

Agreed, 100% agreed. But Devil's Advocate time...

I work in a pretty high-end environment, Ivy League types, lots of Bimmers and Benzes in the parking lot, but if I showed up wearing a Lange (or a Patek, for that matter), there would be some skepticism in the air ;)

Who really and truly knows a Lange but people who either have the money, or know watches? Where is that .sig with Vic Reeves' zing of 88.2% of stats are made up on the spot? Because here's one.

I bet you 99.8% of this world has no idea what this watch is, and how much it costs. The rest of the .2% wonder, or gawp, or both.

As you say, Tankster, you work with Ivy Leaguers which is American shorthand for Phillips Andover, St. Paul types who have Nantucket summer homes and are members of asmallworld and who have featured in the Social Registry, the lot.

Maybe you can't, but I bet you your average middle-class American wouldn't be able to tell, ironically enough, since they are more numerous and there are less chances to get caught out.

So, wear this watch to the movieplex, but not to the Knickerbocker Club in NYC, or the Capitol Hill Club in DC.

My father is a foreigner here in the US, British, and a professional. Unless he wore the rattiest, most blingiest Rolex rep out there, they'd believe anything he wears because there are too many variables with people like us, that make people think, hmm, maybe. It's easier to read people when they're you're own.

Having all that said, it IS an awesome rep. Narikaa has Lange reps, but not sure how accurate they are.

Dunno, but the good thing about Narikaa is that whatever he doesn't have, he maybe can find for you. And he's a FLAWLESS collector.

I also bought a Breguet from him, also for dad, and it works just fine even today (touch wood). It's a very close replica of the original, at that.

Who really and truly knows a Lange but people who either have the money, or know watches? I bet you 99.8% of this world has no idea what this watch is, and how much it costs. The rest of the .2% wonder, or gawp, or both.

Aha - but that's the entire point, yes - you'd want people to actually appreciate you have a Lange - but the same people who get what it means are exactly those who would wonder whether I could afford one ;)

Aha - but that's the entire point, yes - you'd want people to actually appreciate you have a Lange - but the same people who get what it means are exactly those who would wonder whether I could afford one ;)

Ahh. Well, that depends on your personality or shall we say, what you yourself want out of a rep.

Me, I like it to look good. Because of what I am, I let "me" do the rest of the work. :)

(BTW, Tankster, you are 100% right. And it's important to note that men can get away much less than women, in being seen as owning a rep watch. It's like a man wearing coloured contact lenses, or dyeing their hair. If another guy catches you, it can be very awkward. But a woman? Eh. That's just the truth, I'm afraid)

Dang! Looking at the title I got all excited thinking some were available again or something. I've given up entirely on the quest for the lange 1. Yours looks pretty good, thats as good as it gets with reps of this watch. Since you don't want to sell it, I guess we'll just have to discuss you giving it away...j/k.

Luckily, I've come down with daytona fever, so that distracts me from the Lange for now.