When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How good is the best 3706 rep?

kiwi

OK, this is unusual, but here's my story. I have a gen 3706, a gift from my brother as an attempt to get me addicted to watches, which I love and which I wore every day until I discovered this forum. A couple ago I had the watch buffed to remove accumulated scratches, and was pretty much horrified to discover that the beautiful subtle alternating bands of polished and brushed finish of the bezel that make the watch so beautiful were lost (all pretty much brushed looking), and the edges were slightly rounded instead of crisp and sharp. I would have rather kept the dings!

So, I'm wondering if there exists a 3706 rep with a case good enough to swap out for my badly buffed case. It need not be 1:1 if it is very close and the parts will fit. Any thoughts?

Or, does anyone know a source for a gen case?

Alternatively, anybody out there really, really good at restoring finishes?

PS: In the future, my gens are going to The Zigmeister.

PS: The Zigmeister: Eat healthy, exercise, and keep enjoying watches! There's no one to replace you!

Actually there's a good enough replica of your watch (by the way, one of my favourite watches ever) but i can't say if accurate enough for a case swap.

I'm also considering to purchase one as i have a genuine dial i'd like to use but i'm still unsure as it's not one of the best replica around and i'm not disposed to spend a lot of money for a replica with so many flaws.

But case looks pretty good except for pushers maybe a little small.

Dial is a shame, glossy and with several flaws.

However you can judge with your eyes and read Pugwash review here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...4&hl=review

By the way, drop me a line if you want to sell your genuine dial :D

Why don't you send it back to IWC to get the case refurbished? I have a gen sub and a local AD did the same kind of bad work on the case like it sounds they did on yours. I sent it to a Rolex service center and was amazed at how crisp the edges were and the polished parts were back to polished and the brushed back to brushed.

I would send it to IWC and have them work on it.

I would suggest you do that (send the watch directly to IWC). If it's a gen watch, they will take care of it very well. I have personally encounter service with them (Richemont Service Centre, Singapore). They replaced case and bracelet on Porsche Design IWC Chronograph for about 300USD. This is made of full Titanium which I believe costs more than SS case. If you are located outside EU, you may choose to contact them by phone or fax for a service estimate.

I sent my 3706 back to IWC and it was like new. They totally strip the watch to the sum of its parts and then rebuild the watch fitting new parts where required. mine came back with a new crown and hands plus the case was re-done. not cheap but better than trashing your watch with a case that is not very good in the first place and not very accurate in comparison.