When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I found the perfect Sub. replica

supermoves

So, I recently purchased a "perfect" Anniversary Sub from Andrew (trustytime) and brought it to a jewler. I made up a BS story about how I got the watch and asked him if it was genuine. My hope was that it would take him all the way till he opened the back to discover it was a rep.

Well, I handed him the watch, he looked at it for 2 or 3 minutes, and he handed it back to me and said "Its real...I dont even need to open it, I can tell by the look and feel, you have very generous family".

Just letting people know that a perfect looking sub does exist. It has so far kept great time, but I have not as yet tested its waterproofing.

So, I recently purchased a "perfect" Anniversary Sub from Andrew (trustytime) and brought it to a jewler. I made up a BS story about how I got the watch and asked him if it was genuine. My hope was that it would take him all the way till he opened the back to discover it was a rep.

Well, I handed him the watch, he looked at it for 2 or 3 minutes, and he handed it back to me and said "Its real...I dont even need to open it, I can tell by the look and feel, you have very generous family".

Just letting people know that a perfect looking sub does exist. It has so far kept great time, but I have not as yet tested its waterproofing.

I think that just because a jeweler said this to you does not mean that it is a perfect looking sub. He may not know much about subs, or he could be lying to you... A better way would be taking it to an AD. But this is frowned upon.

Open an account with a different name on TRF, tell the same story and post some pics, I'm sure they'll call it out in a hurry.

and I'm sure about 20 snot nosed purists will take the opportunity to say (brag) about how they only buy from an AD

Open an account with a different name on TRF, tell the same story and post some pics, I'm sure they'll call it out in a hurry.

and I'm sure about 20 snot nosed purists will take the opportunity to say (brag) about how they only buy from an AD

Please, we MUST NOT show our reps to ADs. NEVER. Otherwise, in the future, it will be very nuch difficult to buy reps.

Please, we MUST NOT show our reps to ADs. NEVER. Otherwise, in the future, it will be very nuch difficult to buy reps.

I don't reccomend it either, thats why I said post pics on another forum with a different name.

And I guess I'll add, never mention this place on TRF, watchusee, or any other gen forum.

Look, I am new here, although not new to collecting or other forums, but doesn't forum rule 25 say the following:

[25] - Do not visit an AD (Authentic Dealer) with your replica watch and show it of as the real thing. If you do so, we are not interested in hearing about it. Such post will be deleted.

I'd expect a mod to come along at some point and delete this dumb post.

Look, I am new here, although not new to collecting or other forums, but doesn't forum rule 25 say the following:

[25] - Do not visit an AD (Authentic Dealer) with your replica watch and show it of as the real thing. If you do so, we are not interested in hearing about it. Such post will be deleted.

I'd expect a mod to come along at some point and delete this dumb post.

Well its a good thing nobody has said they did that here. Good thing nobody recommended it either. I expect a mod to come along and read this post....and thats it.

Nice first post! Thanks for supporting the forum!

Well its a good thing nobody has said they did that here. Good thing nobody recommended it either. I expect a mod to come along and read this post....and thats it.

Nice first post! Thanks for supporting the forum!

I hate admitting I haven't read the rules, but it's good to see that rep wearing to AD's violates RWG rules as well as common sense!

Well supermoves you have made 29 posts on this forum ... congratulations ... I think it is time for you to spend some time reading and learning rather than sharing your wisdom for a while as taking a rep into Jeweler even if not an AD is just foolish and reckless. You hurt all of us with this kind of behavior. It brings unwanted attention to our Rep world. Perhaps you can learn from the posts on this thread and become a valued member of the forum.

To be a little observant, he said "Jeweller" not "Authorised Dealer". We have members here who work in watch retail/repair, are they banned from showing themselves their watches or wearing them to work?

If the jeweller were an AD, he'd have spotted it as a rep.

I don't get it.... why do you guys assume that somebody has knowledge about watches just because he's an AD? They sell watches to make a living, most of them know [censored]-all about what they sell.

The chance that an employee of an AD recognizes a fake as a fake is extremely low, unless it's one of those 10$ quartz beaters......

Edited by bricky

The chance that an employee of an AD recognizes a fake as a fake is extremely low, unless it's one of those 10$ quartz beaters......

What a joke!

He just only need 10 seconds to spot the fake, to look at the low crown position unless someone put a gen movement into his fake. But which fool will do something like that?

And that's the first thing an AD do to spot , and consequently also some, no need to look further

I've read that from an AD member on a dutch gen forum.

wow...talk about unexpected...I had no idea this was such a "no-no". In fact, I had no idea what rules you were even talking about. Now that I read this post I went back and found/read the rules. I hope the fact that this post hasnt been deleted means the mods felt it added SOMETHING to the forum, but if not, I apologise for maknig the post.

I suppse I understand the point of not going to the AD (not sure if I went to an AD or not, just someone who sold used rolexs). If they see a bunch of fake rolexes, they might be tempted to do something about it, right?

Anyway, sorry again...now I know the rules!

He just only need 10 seconds to spot the fake, to look at the low crown position unless someone put a gen movement into his fake. But which fool will do something like that?

And that's the first thing an AD do to spot , and consequently also some, no need to look further

Maybe in the Rolex boutique in New York, the factory headquarters in Geneva, or any other major Rolex-only boutique.

Your typical jewelry store employee has simply memorized a bunch of flash card literature, a little bit about every brand, and when a customer comes in they recite it. I once went into an AD and asked to see an Omega, so the guy starts his spiel about the history of the company, he was new, and obviously it sounded like he was spewing out a memorized script.

At least in my hometown, the salespeople work for close to or at minimum wage. They can tell apart a sub from a Daytona by reading the faces of the various watches... its the only way.

The majority of dealers will "recognize" a rep by the appearance/demeanor/behavior of the party to whom it belongs. Psycho-analysis (and to some extent, physiognomy) plays a tremendous role in helping the average employee determine a watch is fake or not. Nobody will tell me the college-aged girl with a "o.c." fixation behind the counter of my local jewelry store will know the difference between a good Breitling evo rep and the real deal. Once again, there are exeption, but these are mostly very posh boutiques where expertise and knowledge is mandatory.

Most AD floor salespeople are just puppets that are supposed to look friendly, hand people what they want to see, and keep their finger on the big red button in case of trouble while occasionally trying to recite who founded what company when and where.

Its sad but true. I see it every time I go into an AD here in Canada. (Except Kauffman's in Montreal... you don't wanna mess with those guys... )

...that being said, don't get the wrong idea. Wearing a rep into an AD is still not very bright. You might just get the one-in-a-million employee who genuinely likes watches. It happened to ME. And I was very glad I left my rep in my pocket where it belongs.

What a joke!

I've read that from an AD member on a dutch gen forum.

Sure.... could it be that all of your knowledge comes from internet boards?

Of course there might be one or another salesperson that actually knows something about watches.... but most of them definitely don't.

Maybe you should try to get out a bit more......