When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A B C Tutorial "how To Make A Strap"

pubus

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic tutorial, I still wouldn't give it a whirl myself though. Although it has to be said I am worryingly looking at different leathers now and thinking "Wow that would make a great strap" - gets on the nerve of the gf but its good to know that belts are suitable too ;)

I seem to miss any real difference between the one-needle and the two-needles method. If it is, please would anyone explain it?

Difference jumps to the eye.

If you use only one-needle the line of the thread is not perfectly continuous neither above neither under the strap.

If you contemporarily use two-needles with an only thread (a needle to a head a needle to the opposite head of the thread) the line of the thread will be continuous both above that under the strap.

Trusted my father and my mother were tailors and I had an industry of wrappings and suits for man and for woman.

Thanks sssurfer !!!

As for the side painting, I see that a Don's strap here has sort of a gum/rubber paint.

This is some kind of sealant, but I dont have any idea what kind of :)

Although it has to be said I am worryingly looking at different leathers now and thinking "Wow that would make a great strap" - gets on the nerve of the gf but its good to know that belts are suitable too ;)

hehe one day I caught myself staring at some girl purse in the subway thinking what a great strap would it be :lol::lol::lol:

If you use only one-needle the line of the thread is not perfectly continuous neither above neither under the strap.

If you contemporarily use two-needles with an only thread (a needle to a head a needle to the opposite head of the thread) the line of the thread will be continuous both above that under the strap.

Trusted my father and my mother were tailors and I had an industry of wrappings and suits for man and for woman.

This is a good advice, Ill try that next time.

btw do You know anything aboud the curved needle?

This is a good advice, Ill try that next time.

Use of an only needle :

67609-33433.jpg

Resulted only with a needle :

67609-33434.jpg

67609-33435.jpg

Use of two needles with the same thread :

67609-33436.jpg

67609-33437.jpg

67609-33438.jpg

Resulted with two needles with the same thread :

67609-33439.jpg

67609-33440.jpg

A strap realized from me :

67609-33441.jpg

Thanks for the trust pubus !!!

Edited by MAHLER

Thanks sssurfer !!!

Thanks to you, Mahler, and even more for your last post with those great pics!

But, just in order to better understand:

I am still missing what makes the two methods differ in their results.

On the following (oversimplified) picture, I would guess that the overall result should be the same.

So, what makes them different is possibly that by the 2-needles method one can apply a more simmetrical tension? Or what? :blink:

67629-33428.jpg

BTW, congrats on your self-made strap! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

useing two needles same time, same hole etc prevents You from thread crossing, I mean, if You use one needle theres awlays a risk that you can put the needle ine the second turn of stitching trough the thread line you stitched before and the line may look messed a bit. And I quess the stitching goes faster :p

btw, great post sssurfer :)

Thanks again for great input into this thread Mahler!! :) that strap does look nice!!

Edited by pubus

On the following (oversimplified) picture, I would guess that the overall result should be the same.

In apparenza i metodi sembrano uguali.

All'occhio purtroppo no (sapessi quanto l'occhio di uno che cuce può accorgersi di particolari piccoli piccoli a differenza di uno che non cuce).

I vantaggi di due aghi sono :

1) la velocità di esecuzione del lavoro;

2) la tensione nel filo che è come quella di una macchina da cucire;

3) la possibilità di usare anche un filo di colore diverso se usi due pelli diverse;

4) non allarghi il buco già fatto se usi un ago di dimensioni più piccole dell'altro.

Il mio è solo un suggerimento sssurfer, non ho detto che il mio metodo è migliore di quello di pubus.

è solo il mio metodo per fare cinturini, portachiavi, mini borsette ecc.

Grazie ancora per i complimenti (ps. spero mi farai sapere cos'altro ti piace del cd)!!!!

In appearance the methods seem equal, but to the eye unfortunately no (I knew how much the eye of one that sews can acknowledge small small details unlike one whom it doesn't sew).

The advantages of two needles are :

1) the speed of execution of the work;

2) the tension in the thread as that of a sewing machine;

3) the possibility to also use a thread of different color if you use two different skins (for example a brown out and a clear color inside) ;

4) you don't already widen the hole fact if you use a needle of smaller dimensions of the other;

Mine is only a suggestion sssurfer, I have not said that my method is better than pubus.

my method is only "my method" to make "my" straps, "my" keyring & "my" mini bags etc.

Thanks still for the compliments!!!

Edited by MAHLER

Thanks for your answers, Mahler!

(As for the CD, it keeps on getting better and better :thumbsupsmileyanim:. PM will follow as soon as I'll have a more complete listening at it -- it is huge!!! -- and as soon as I'll have something for you, too ;) ).

Your nice idea of a cardboard for the holes makes me wonder if it does exist somewhere sort of a pin line (metal pins lined up and firm at a metal bar like a comb or rake) that can be pushed all at once by the hammer.

A simple project.

I draw it because I don't have time to personally realize it.

I hope can be of some utilities.

You can use of the wood or of the pressed cardboard.

The project foresees the creation of 2 outlines of the dimensions of the final strap.

68585-33232.jpg

On one of them you practise some holes corresponding to those of the seams.

68585-33233.jpg

To use screw, nails or nails for tapestry :

68585-33234.jpg

To put the nails in the holes :

68585-33235.jpg

You overlap the outline without holes above that with holes and nails.

With the screws fixed both the outlines :

68585-33236.jpg

The End

Great idea, Mahler, and a great step forward from punching every single hole individually with no guideline! :clap2:

Just two clarifications needed:

Do you mean it just as an improved version of the cardboard outline, or are the nails rather supposed to be fixed to the outline so they can be punched / pressed all at once just by punching / pressing the outline?

How can the screws holding the two outlines together not affect the strap? I seem to understand that they should be placed beyond the strap's ends, correct?

Uhm... I feel some great project is taking shape here... keep up with the good work! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How can the screws holding the two outlines together not affect the strap? I seem to understand that they should be placed beyond the strap's ends, correct?

The screws can centrally be situated to the beginning and at the end of the piece in consistent position not to interfere with the nails.

Obviously being a project on paper must have suited in base for the objective necessities that introduce him during the work.

An improvement could be done foreseeing two screws without end to the sides to get a press auto-holeing.

Do you mean it just as an improved version of the cardboard outline, or are the nails rather supposed to be fixed to the outline so they can be punched / pressed all at once just by punching / pressing the outline?

I believe that in this case the choice is subjective.

Uhm... I feel some great project is taking shape here... keep up with the good work! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

For me it would not be badly.... for you?

For me it would not be badly.... for you?

I think I've found what to think about as soon as I'll get rid of the cyclops thing... ^_^

Oh, and besides of reluming, loose lever, and so on... :scratch:

This is an indeed a great idea, but theres a one main disadvantage of it. As it is a pattern, you have no diverse in the stitching look. It will always be the same.

But its still a great idea :)

Edited by pubus

how it happened I have never not found this one.......

This is amazing, and we canb clearly se the sealant to cover the edges there :) Now its only a matter of time, when we will know the thing :p

This is an indeed a great idea, but theres a one main disadvantage of it. As it is a pattern, you have no diverse in the stitching look. It will always be the same.

But its still a great idea :)

Thanks still.

As every idea on the paper will have to be correct to the practical action.

@pubus....I promised to give you some links that could improve your strap making skills...

here are some useful links...

How to - guide

tips for hand sewing leather

preparing for leather craft project

key techniques for working with leather

guide

hope this links will be useful to you guys...

and if it will be of any use I am expecting from all of you (that will find it useful) a free leather strap! :lol:

OK?