When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon

Victoria

The Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon watch is perhaps the world's most covetted luxury watch, certainly one of its most expensive, sometimes reaching a staggering U$1.5 million. Having 301 components of complications will do that to a watch.

It's not a timepiece where you can saunter into an AD, and plunk down your Benjamins, though.

A gentleman from Miami waited over 2 years to get an interview with the President of Patek Philippe's son, VP Philippe Stern, who then questioned him intensely about why he wanted to purchase this watch. The answer he gave was precisely what Patek want to stand for, in terms of watches -- tradition. The elderly chap said one day, he wanted to pass it down to his grandson.

He was approved.

If you want to know why I myself bought this rep watch of a hideously expensive gen, the answer is simple: I truly like it. Visually, it is a rather stunning watch, even in rep form.

When you consider that it cost me only, if memory serves, $108 shipped, from a collector who no longer carries it, it's amazing even if it has never gotten ANY wrist time.

Without further ado, the Patek Sky Moon Tourbillon (Ref. 5002) in Rose Gold.

GENUINE

patekskymoonla0.jpg

REPLICA WATCH

pateksmfaceshotoa6.jpg

pateksmtopce9.jpg

patekskymoonrightsidebc5.jpg

pateksmleftdialya4.jpg

pateksmleftbottomdialec2.jpg

patekskymooncrowngz4.jpg

patekskymoonpushersve1.jpg

patekskymoonfilligreehn3.jpg

pateksmreversecn5.jpg

patekskymoonreverseconsym6.jpg

patekskymoon1ex2.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS AND PRICE AT ONE SITE

psmspecs1aa1.jpg

psmspecs2oh5.jpg

psmspecs3qh3.jpg

From: hxxp://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=viewWatchDetails&watch_id=1463

PATEK SKY MOON TOURBILLON OWNER

skymoonnc8.png

From: hxxp://www.orbita.net/pages/12141.htm (story on getting an Orbita winder specially built for the Sky Moon)

...hope you enjoyed the pictorial review. :)

Yep, I have this one... it is stunning to behold in person. It really glows and twinkles in sunlight. I bought it (oddly enough) because I'm always forgetting the calendar dates and it had a good layout to remind me. It is a very comfortable piece and it's just a pure delight to look at.

dsc05142no6.jpg

dsc05152wy8.jpg

mdsc06035yb1.jpg

mdsc05996gx6.jpg

mdsc06005jk8.jpg

These days I rarely wear it... but can you blame me when this arrived in the mail?

dsc07045xw1.jpg

dsc07028mg6.jpg

This one is just a tad more "realistic" looking on my wrist... nobody notices it anyway...

I love PP :wub:

Exquisite photos, Victoria. I, too, have this watch; bought it from Joshua well over a year ago, perhaps for the same reasons you purchased yours: It is such a stunning, complex piece, even in its rep incarnation. I think its wrist time consists of maybe 3 wearings, but I am still not unhappy I bought it. I regard mine almost more as sculpture, as a kind of museum piece more than a watch. It's just enjoyable to look at and handle. One thing: I have replaced the battery for the quartz sky/constellation backside twice, and it is currently dead. Since the back has to e popped off and cemented anew once the battery has been swapped, I decided not to replace it again. Maybe there is something in the movement of this particular watch that drains the battery so quickly. Thanks for yet another excellent photo essay.

Thx for this review Mademoiselle V.

Well, I've been thinking about this one for me as well, for the same reasons you mentionned : it's a very special watch, and looks completely different from the usual things we see around.

I would be curious about a wristshot, because one of my fear is the height of the case... the second one is to look like the gen owner :sorry:

This rep is one of the first I ever purchased and while it looks good, quality wise it is a POS. Thats why it only sells for 150 bucks. The gold rubs off right away, and the hands fall off if you bump it. I sent it back and it was fixed, but in the end I just gave it away. If you want something that looks nice in your watch case then get it otherwise, pass...

Yes Victoria, you are welcome. I do believe that the purpose of our forum here is to give the members an unbiased and forthright

view of personal experiences regarding their rep watches, both pro and con. You have written a nice review yes, but this is not your personal blog. Anyone considering buying this watch should know that it is basically a piece of junk. I owned one. It disentegrated in less than 6 weeks. The backside function is quartz and moves like a one legged sailor. It does not even keep time. After the hands fell off, and I had it returned, the hands became misaligned again, and because it is such a good looking watch, repped after one that is a million dollars, it was a very dissapointing experience. As an owner of this shabby creation, it is only in the sprit of being a good neightbor that I warn others about something they might be considering purchasing.

A local AD owner told me an interesting factoid about how Patek sells their ultra high-end pieces. They'll happily take an order for a super expensive watch from an AD (who has already agreed to order well over a million bucks worth of watches to sell on spec over 3 years, just to sell and keep selling Pateks) but the AD can make a maximum of $35,000 or 15% whichever is less. That either tells you Patek's margin is pretty low for those watches or that they see no use for AD's or both.

I've had 2x of them for a considerable time.....one of which I sold to a buddy locally here....he's still my buddy....and he still wears it regularly at night.....the gold hasn't rubbed off....neither have the hands fallen off......he loves it.....and it garners plenty of attention....!

My own is still running strong...no faults....except to replace the quartz battery.....which runs ok now......some people buy duds......that only serves to emphasise QC....!

PICT0321copy.jpg

PICT0325copy.jpg

PICT0309copy.jpg

PICT0313copy.jpg

PICT0308copy.jpg

PICT0318copy.jpg

PICT0323copy.jpg

Agree completely with the assessments of Naarika and TTK. This is a spectacular rep and, even though the dial details are not all that spot-on vis a viz the gen, all the complications nonetheless work. My sole complaint is the short battery life of the reverse side; as for the movement, I found it the same as any other quartz movement, that is jerky/hoppy; I suppose "one-legges sailor" is an accurate metaphor, but it would also apply to every quartz movement. I've had mine for going on 2 years and it has not disintegrated. We have to acknowledge that these are $100-150 reps, that quality control is a crap shoot and that, consequently, some unlucky buyer is going to receive a dud. This doesn't diminish the reality that most of these reps, Sky-Moon included, are remarkable reproductions. As Naarika says: $150 for a reasonable fascimile of a $1.3 million dollar timepice, what'dya want?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the all the replies to this last pictorial review of 2007.

Since the Patek Sky Moon Tourbillon rep is the only watch I have which changes YEAR, tonight I'll be keen to see if this works. Can a $108 change at the stroke of midnight to a whole new year?

Do you have a watch that turns calender year too? :p

(Just checked. No, it's the Vacheron Constantin Retrograding Calender. But the question still stands!)