When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mods for a Super SD

triplehd

Intrigued by the hype - got me a SDD. I know the usual mods can be done - CG's, insert & pearl. But what other mods can be performed? Do I need to swap the SDD bracelet and dateoverlay with a noob bracelet and overlay? Reason why I ask is that, swapping bracelet and overlays is a must if modding a MBW Sub.

How good is the SDD overlay? Any difference between the two?

• 2 weeks later...
Intrigued by the hype - got me a SDD. I know the usual mods can be done - CG's, insert & pearl. But what other mods can be performed? Do I need to swap the SDD bracelet and dateoverlay with a noob bracelet and overlay? Reason why I ask is that, swapping bracelet and overlays is a must if modding a MBW Sub.

How good is the SDD overlay? Any difference between the two?

I got one of those, will be interested in knowing also what could be done to improve it.

peace

triplehd - I have got one also. I am doing the usual stuff - insert, crown, tube, crownguards. The big question is can someone (BK) make a replacement crystal that does not have such a prounced etch (or heck - get rid of it altogethoer). Also - the datewheel font is a little large. Not sure where you are going to get a smaller one though. It is about 10% too big.

Other than that - i am not sure what else can be done - lume? The rest is pretty good or can't be changed. i.e. Rehaut.

A member on RWG1 purchased a "SeaDweller Kit" on e-bay, it's a gen diver's extension. He claims it's a perfect fit. He also replaced his bezel insert with one from watchmaterial.com, said the pearl is great and has great lume. When I get mine SSD from Silix I'm going to do those 2 "mods."I think even I can handle it!

triplehd - I have got one also. I am doing the usual stuff - insert, crown, tube, crownguards. The big question is can someone (BK) make a replacement crystal that does not have such a prounced etch (or heck - get rid of it altogethoer). Also - the datewheel font is a little large. Not sure where you are going to get a smaller one though. It is about 10% too big.

Other than that - i am not sure what else can be done - lume? The rest is pretty good or can't be changed. i.e. Rehaut.

Talked to BK and he said the date overlay was actually fine. Im not too worried about the date font. As for the insert, might just get the watchmaterial pearl and keep my existing insert.

A member on RWG1 purchased a "SeaDweller Kit" on e-bay, it's a gen diver's extension. He claims it's a perfect fit. He also replaced his bezel insert with one from watchmaterial.com, said the pearl is great and has great lume. When I get mine SSD from Silix I'm going to do those 2 "mods."I think even I can handle it!

The tool kit has been mentioned here & TRC several times. The first I read of this was from Gioarmani a few weeks ago. The tool kits are flying off the shelves on Ebay so others must be doing this as well. I wonder where all the supply is coming from but the pair I received are 100% gen.

The gen extension fits the SSD clasp perfectly. All reported issues are history with the very easy installation. Other than this, inserted a gen pearl on the SSD insert and may shave the CGs down the road. The rep crown & tube are very good so there shouldn't be a rush to change.

My nephew got the SSD this week and we were comparing the crown and tube to the gen crown and aftermarket tube on my noobmariner. The SSD crown matches up beautifully to the gen crown and the tubes are the same large size. Someone here a month or two ago said the gen crown fit the SSD tube and I'm not surprised (haven't tried it myself). So I'm with Jet on this-

why go to the trouble of changing out the tube and crown?

I think putting a better pearl in (watchmaterial) and trimming the cg's a little are all that's necessary. Not much you can do with the etched crown at 6. They say the noob is the best out of the box, but now I think the SSD is.

• 5 weeks later...