When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

24A - Ziggified

Watchmeister

Here is another 2 year project. As usual, big thanks to Ziggy for another wonderful outcome. Start with a first generation 24A, then add the following mods:

- Polished bezel

- Remove hour marker bezels and relume pearl, hands and "enlarged" hour markers

- Lello datewheel

- Improved crystal/cyclops from the 199

- And gen crown of course :smile:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Nice one W,

the first ever Vendome-era Pam Sub, although part of a 'contemporary' Pam auto line, a truly historic piece, IMO.

I believe their attempt was to create a hommage to Egiziano, but still keeping high-polished finish of the recent historics .

Is the lume the same color/shade as your recently done 27A ?

Wear it in good health,

babola

E-

The 24A is definitely an acquired taste. It gives it an art deco feel and causes the watch to visually pop off the wrist. I prefer polished bezels on the gens too.

B-

The lume is a tad yellower than the 27A. Also the hands are purposely whitened and lightened just a little bit more than the dial as it is the appearance on gen subs. For whatever reason the tritium on the dial is always a little browner and darker than the hands - especially on the submersibles.

B-

The lume is a tad yellower than the 27A. Also the hands are purposely whitened and lightened just a little bit more than the dial as it is the appearance on gen subs. For whatever reason the tritium on the dial is always a little browner and darker than the hands - especially on the submersibles.

Agree, and have you unoticed how the numerals on the 1000m Subs with T-dials are almost always lighter than dial markers...something I first noticed on 064 "La Bomba" and 087.

It almost looks like they used different lume compound for numerals and metal edged fill-in indices, mind boggles... :huh:

cheers,

babola

Yes, but I have always attributed the dial differences to the the fact that the lume sits in a metal "bathtub" on an 87 or La Bomba which for whatever reason darkens the markers. If you look at a gen 24A (the only one without metal tubs around the hour markers) the difference is almost non-existent. Whether it has to do with reflection, different base color (dial or tub underneath) or the tritium being impacted by the metal surrounds I don't know. I do believe that in the long run it all settles down into a browner color based on older t gens I have. That was how we decided on the coloring on the 27A.

Higly likely, especially knowing the fact that more recent T dials (as well as L dials) come with base paint applied on dial indices and numerals, before the T lume is applied. A and B series gen T dials didn't have this underlayer, the Tritium was applied to the dial directly.

I don't believe they apply this 'paint' layer inside the beds of metal markers, and the darker lume on markers compared to numerals could be very much the result of darker 'reflection' of the metal thru the lume itself. In general the lume being L or T is opaque, and as such will expose to an extent the base it's applied to.

cheers,

babola