When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody has a gen SD?

bklm1234

I'm investigating if I can custom-make crystals for the SSD 'cause I think it's too high. I need the exact thickness of the part of the crystal above the case (not above the insert) and what the bevel angle is. I have a Krysworks' SD and sub crystals, which are supposed to be replacements for gen crystals. The part above the case for the SD one is about 1.03-1.04mm. Seems too thin to me. The same part for their sub crystal is 0.96mm, also seems too thin to me. Can someone help?

crystal_height_angle.jpg

-bk

I'm investigating if I can custom-make crystals for the SSD 'cause I think it's too high. I need the exact thickness of the part of the crystal above the case (not above the insert) and what the bevel angle is. I have a Krysworks' SD and sub crystals, which are supposed to be replacements for gen crystals. The part above the case for the SD one is about 1.03-1.04mm. Seems too thin to me. The same part for their sub crystal is 0.96mm, also seems too thin to me. Can someone help?

-bk

I don't have the measurements, but I can't tell you from personal experience that krysworks is out to lunch. Their sub cyclops isn't even close to the right mag. And the bevel on their sub crystal is much too small.

I'm investigating if I can custom-make crystals for the SSD 'cause I think it's too high

It's not only too high... the bevelled side is not correct and the etched crown is way too visible!

If you can get a correct crystal it would open the option of drilling lugholes and have a proper pre-2004 SD :yeah:

'cskent69' has a gen crystal he was going to have fitted into the SSD in January... maybe he can get you some sizing information...

i also know that the genuine crystal has a notch around the bottom of the crystal that most likely snaps into the gasket for further waterproofing...

if you could mimic the gen crystal in this way, that would be way cool!

another thing that needs to be established is the DIAMETER of the rep vs. gen.

i have a feeling that the gen crystal will expose the rehaut in a way to make it look more like genuine.

the combination of height, width, and bevel are totally wrong on the rep... and $250 for a gen crystal is just ridiculous!

PP

how do you know?

My dad's a TV repair man. He's got this ultimate set of tools.

i bet you it CAN fit!

Ok,

if you can, I sent to you mine too. :rolleyes:

The GEN SD have one crystal retaining ring that is not present in SSD.

The crystal is only pressed in position, so it has one different edge shape than the GEN one.

Unfortunately the SSD is NOT 1:1 construction. :(

how do you know?

My dad's a TV repair man. He's got this ultimate set of tools.

i bet you it CAN fit!

The diameter of the part of gen SD crystal that fits into the rehaut is smaller than that of the SSD crystal. Unless you make a fat gasket, you can't fit a gen crystal into a SSD.

SSD and F520117 (aka noobmariner/nymphomariner/beginmariner, etc.) crystals copy the gen in having a recessed cut all around the part that resides in the rehaut. But they don't copy the notch/hook at the very bottom, which I don't think is a big deal. The recessed cut however is very important, esp. on the F520117 crystal which allows it to have a dark ring on the bevel when viewed from the front, much like the gen.

I drew this pic to illustrate the constructions:

crystal_const.jpg

Anybody else knows the crystal height above the rehaut and the bevel angle, pls kindly let me know. I will make as many as people want to buy it.

-bk

why would tear apart a perfectly good gen?

'cskent69' has a gen crystal that is being sent to Zig next month for his SSD...

I think we can get the skinny from Zig once he is back from his overdue break...

trust me, i am as giddy as the next guy about this topic... i have even looked into micro-lathes just in case it requires some work to get it to fit...

i thought i read somewhere that the SSD crystal is about .5mm to .8mm smaller than the gen... something like 28.7mm vs. 29.4mm?!?! that could be totally incorrect!!!

i am just going off what i thought i read somewhere...

hopefully we can expedite this one major issue regarding the SSD... (besides the crap bracelet, which i have switched out with a gen sub bracelet, which fits perfectly by the way... )

PP

hopefully we can expedite this one major issue regarding the SSD... (besides the crap bracelet, which i have switched out with a gen sub bracelet, which fits perfectly by the way... )

PP

PP, I don't find the bracelet to be crap at all, at least not from my experience. No stripped screws (in my case) and SELs fit darn near perfect. The problem lies with the divers' extension and that can be easily replaced with a gen. SD toolkits are readily available for approx. $35 delivered which include the necessary parts.

The gen extension fits the SSD clasp perfectly and all issues of properly closing are history.

Credit goes to Gioarmani who came up with this brilliant idea. :thumbsup:

PP, I don't find the bracelet to be crap at all, at least not from my experience. No stripped screws (in my case) and SELs fit darn near perfect. The problem lies with the divers' extension and that can be easily replaced with a gen. SD toolkits are readily available for approx. $35 delivered which include the necessary parts.

The gen extension fits the SSD clasp perfectly and all issues of properly closing are history.

Credit goes to Gioarmani who came up with this brilliant idea. :thumbsup:

How about taking the section of a noobmariner/beginmariner/nymphomariner bracelet that are screwed in, which includes the clasp and diver-extension? I'll give it a try. At least the noob bracelet that I have has good screws and diver's extension is quite decent.

BTW, Stephane will take pics for me on the crystal.

-bk

nah, i hear ya man... and i agree to the eye its nice.

as far as being compared to gen, it is crap... squeaky and clanky... also, doesn't follow the curvature of the lugs correctly... and thats a biggy FOR ME, but not all...

(towards the spring-pin side, it starts to peak over the lugs. Hate that! it is as if they drilled the SEL in the wrong place... a matter of a millimeter or two...)

again, wearing this thing in public with either bracelet is no big deal... most wouldn't notice... but I DO!

side note: i need to just get a new camera already and start showing my points more clearly...

but, if you look at ANY (modern gen) RLX model on fleaBay compared to ANY model on our dealers sites, you will see almost all of them have this attribute: SEL's are AT or OVER the lugs at some point...

now, i am sure with some work you can make the rep bracelet feel pretty silky...

but having it fit perfectly WITHOUT popping over the lugs is what i am going for here!!! (hence, the use of a gen bracelet, and yes, i know its incorrect for the model since it doesn't have polished sides)

PP

Edited by poopypants