When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Andrew's (Trusty _Time) Xmas special

newf

Hi, Folks,

Here's a noobie review of the Rolex Yacht-Master offered by Andrew at Trusty-Times.

First impressions - for $78.00 you can't go wrong especially if you have another watch on order to combine with this one for the so called free shipping. Luckily I did.

Now for all you photo people who are also into photography, these pics were all shot in ambient light at the breakfast table on an overcast day and no interior lighting or flash - my camera is a Canon PowerShot S-3 point and shoot with a few other selectable options.

Here's the dial with the 2.5X cyclops - the dial color is a silver grey - which really complements the watch band color. Very pleasant to view.

RolexYacht-Master78Dial.jpg

Next is the case back along with hologram and presumably correct number - have to check this out yet.

RolexYacht-Master78CaseBack.jpg

RolexYacht-Master78Clasp.jpg

I have an 8-1/4" wrist and the bracelet is out to its fullest extension and fits perfectly so it should fit the vast majority of people. The links don't exhibit any sharp edges and seem very flexible and the pins seem clean.

RolexYacht-Master78Clasp.jpg

I immediately took the watch apart to have a look at the innards - found a couple of pieces of lint about 1/16" round and a few pieces of heavy dust - probably the movement need to be cleaned and oiled - but don't forget this is only $78.00.

The name was easily read inside the case back.

RolexYacht-Master78InsideCaseBack.jpg

Here are some shots of the movement - the last one showing the stem release and time regulator.

RolexYacht-Master78Movement1.jpg

RolexYacht-Master78StemReleaseandMo.jpg

And of course for last is the obligatory wrist shot.

RolexYacht-Master78WristShot.jpg

My only caveats so far is that when you pull out the stem to adjust the time - the dial face moves indicating the movement isn't fully secured in the case.

I adjusted and tightened both movement hold down clamps but it still moves around - maybe they're the wrong size or just located improperly.

The other is possibly nothing or at least something very easily fixed - the o-ring seems extremely thin. In fact it falls out when you open the case back - the other cheapie a friend gave has a rather substantial o-ring which needs to be almost pried out but fits snugly.

Anybody have any suggestions as to which way the o-rings should fit.

RolexYacht-Master78WatchO-RingandCa.jpg

But other than that it's a bargain plus looks great to boot.

Newf

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is definitely the Noob factory version.

Excellent rep for the price, but this particular watch (newf's) has a weird datefont. It's probably borrowed from some vintage rep model.

Wouldn't be a big deal for me, but it's definitely different and less accurate on this one (compared to Narikaa's offering). Just FYI.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, this is definitely the Noob factory version.

Excellent rep for the price, but this particular watch (newf's) has a weird datefont. It's probably borrowed from some vintage rep model.

Wouldn't be a big deal for me, but it's definitely different and less accurate on this one (compared to Narikaa's offering). Just FYI.

hey by-tor since you do have narikaa's version.. i have a couple of questions..

1. does eta datewheel fit in these movement?

2. does this have the quick set date change? :D thanks