When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 'final' Collection

mezzanine

post='375640']DSC00419.jpg

My fave. :wub:

Lovely collection, Mezz!

Because I have a collector's mentality, and I can never have enough watches, I don't know why people want smaller collections. I'm like that old dude with the gen Patek Sky Moon Tourbillon, who had 102 Pateks before owning the Sky Moon. I "get" him.

I first admired your collection. Then I did a mental calculation of how much your reps must cost. I see a DSN 112, two MBW Rolexes, probably a full ceramic HBB, and that fantastic MBW AP ROO.

That's around $3500, not including your the SFSO and Chopard XL you mentioned. That's a pretty tidy sum, if so.

I'm guessing your next move is a gen? :)

@Mezz below: I was already indiscrete in putting a dollar value, so I won't take up your offer to know the true estimate. ;) ...just to say that I like your rationale behind your spending, and I see that you are a more refined collector than I. You go for quality, whereas I go for sheer quantity, as if the delight of owning is more important than appreciating (not the case, but I can see where others may think so -- not that you were suggesting that!).

As an aside, someone recently mentioned another poster's writing elegance, and may I say that I enjoy yours tremendously. No matter how offhand, I know whenever I read a post marked "Mezzanine" it'll be a well-written one.

Well, thanks again, and Merry Christmas, Mezz! :)

Thanks for the comments all-

Vic, I can understand where you're coming from, having a growing collection is more organic and natural I think. I was certainly of that mind for the vast majority of my time here...but I found that I was collecting watches more than I was enjoying them a individual time pieces.

Also, as I learned more about watches generally, my interests grew more classic than they had been during my earlier phase, where I was looking for the newest, coolest sports chronograph. It's kind of nice to know that I'm partially liberated from the 7750 movement watches- even if I think they're more reliable than they get credit for...it's ironic, because for so long I thought it was cruel fate that I wasn't interested in many non-chrono watches.

I don't want to say too much about the cost of the collection, but I've been pretty fortunate in picking up some of them used. I think you'd be surprised if you knew the total, and your valuation is off only because I think you calculated the MBW rollies without consideration for the dials, other than that, it's pretty accurate based on the current pricing- pm me and I'll give you my own estimate, if you're curious...

As far as the idea of going with a gen...that's the one I wrestled with before I decided to sell off some of my collection and to mod a couple of vintage rollies, as the cost was going to get steep with the cost of gen parts. What settled it for me, is that I'm not really crazy about my SFSO rep, even though it's very nice.

Most of the mid-grade watches in the range of what I'd be talking about were in the tag/SFSO/Sinn/Seamaster range. I came *really* close to buying a SMP, as I love that watch...but ultimately, it's the uniqueness of the modded pieces, and the learning process in their construction that won it out for me. I've learned that % of cost of gen is a factor for me in some of my decision making...for most people it's probably not a very significant factor.

*edit- Thanks Vic, don't think twice about having curiosity about the dollar value, it's very much a factor in my rationale, as it is for most of us...it's experimenting with how I can differently distribute my resources across my collection that gave rise to this arrangement, and it's very much determined by my empirical tinkering with how best to distribute 'x' amount of $$ across a collection.

I appreciate the comment about my writing- it's interesting because as I've been here, I've become more intrigued with different ways to try to describe the watches that we collect, in terms of relating their value, their strenght/weaknesses, etc... and I know that I'm never going to be a technical afficianado like so many here, so I'm trying to take a different perspective in communicating some of my perceptions about these beauties.

thats a great collection - except you have nothing to wear in black!

:)

I can't let go of any of my reps. - thats how i got the collection down - i got rid of the stuff i felt i could get rid of. The rest - is my collection

I am waiting for a TT blue BCE - i'm sure it will come out at some point. And for some reason i still want a TT datejust. I don't know why, maybe cause its useful to have in certain business situations to send the right message.

anyway - like i said, - ok, let me restate, lets say a new watch comes out, that you really really love - and, you don't have Cash so in order to get it, you have to sell one. - well, when you look over the collection, and you just can't sell any of them- thats when you know your there :)

:) I'm with ya mezz.. I have a similarly small collection which is about to become even smaller since I will be selling my Swiss UPO

but basically.. i have a watch for every occassion i need.. a daily beater (HBB polished cer +RG).. a flashy watch (HBB steel with diamond bezel).. an all-ss watch (montblanc timewalker, which never gets worn but i like to have it around, lol) and my wear-in-the-streets watch a Pam 082

but yea.. im down to really 4 watches, 2 of which get worn most

great collection btw