When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Titanium on Reps

casanile

Hi there,

I'm wondering about buying a GST TITANIUM, and I'd like to know something about titanium on a rep.

It's not real titanium so how is it made? Is it a kind of oxydation of the steel, a kind of paint...

And especially, what that lasts in time?

Thanks

Thanks, I'm happy to know that, I was just septic because I was sure that titanium was very expensive.

And I've just read a topic from a RWG suporter who had "oxyded" his watch in order to have the same color than the titanium...

He had a good result.

Thanks, I'm happy to know that, I was just septic because I was sure that titanium was very expensive.

And I've just read a topic from a RWG suporter who had "oxyded" his watch in order to have the same color than the titanium...

He had a good result.

There are plenty of manufacturers of cheap Ti watches out there including "Guess" as in Guess Jeans that sell for less than $100 USD so it's not as expensive as you would think. The 904L SS is probably more expensive than the Ti used, which is why you only see the 316 used in the rep watches.

100% Titanium:

gst-wp-3-640.jpg

Wait a moment.

Yesterday I asked to Josh when will be avalaible the yellow aquatimer:

"Hi,

This is in the making .. not it Titanium.. But it brushed steel with TI coating..

Should be ready in Mid Feb.

joshua "

Do you really think that a rep is going to be 100% titanium?

Some weight data form the IWC webpage:

Aquatimer Chrono-Automatic in stainless steel with stainless steel bracelet: 180 g

Aquatimer Chrono-Automatic in stainless steel with rubber strap: 122 g

Aquatimer Chrono-Automatic in titanium with titanium bracelet: 131 g

Aquatimer Chrono-Automatic in titanium with rubber strap: 99 g

Probably this is the only method to know whether a rep is made of steel or Ti

You make it sound exotic. :huh:

Titanium is the ninth-most abundant element in the Earth's crust and the seventh-most abundant metal.

true (well,I had it for the tenth most abundant), but the extraction process is what makes it expensive, its a difficult substance to isolate, hence the reason why some consider it exotic

but to address the OP, as Josh has said to Francisco , we will probably see Ti coating on reps in the very near future