When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Introducing the Next, Best Thing in coatings - ADLC

Guest avitt

I just received my sample parts back, after being ADLC (Amorphous Diamond-Like Carbon) coated. This was done by a shop which did not have experience with watches...Needless to say, we are thrilled by the results, and possibilities.

ALDC is applied using Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition (PACVD), and has several advantages over PVD coatings, including the following:

[*]It harder, at about 3500-4000 HV (Compared to 2000-3000 HV for PVD coatings, and 3000 HV for DLC)

[*]It applies more evenly. Unlike PVD, ALDC is not a line-of-site process. This means that items don't have to be rotated in the chamber. It also allows better coverage of inner radiuses, lettering and engraving, etc.

[*]It goes on at a lower temperature of under 200

Thanks very much for the positive feedback!!!

Is this a service you will be offering in the future?

TBD right now...I'm looking into it.

I forgot the mention that this case was fully polished (to remove some scratches and dings), and then glass bead-blasted prior to being coated.

This is a picture of a link that shows what the coating looks like on brushed, and polished surfaces:

img2167hh5.jpg

This is interesting. Can the ADLC coating process yield the same colours that can be produced under PVD?

I don't think that there is as much of a range of colors available. With PVD, the color is determined by the compound which is applied (examples are TiN, AlTiN, TiAlN, CrN, CrCN, TiCN, etc.) ALDC coating are typically charcoal grey / anthracite in color (similar to the darkest of PVD coatings).

There are a few difference between ADLC and DLC:

• They are applied using different processes: DLC is applied using PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition), while ADLC is applied using PACVD (Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition). The two process are completely different, and require different equipment.
  • ADLC creates a harder coating than DLC.
  • ADLC applies a bit more evenly (on average).

The "A" in ADLC stands for amorphous. Amorphous describes a solid which does not have order to the position of its atoms (it is not crystalline in structure). Glass is an example of an amorphous solid.

im currently lookin at a few places to dlc a watch. if this is a lot better i might hold out for a tad longer n go for this. and how much r we lookin at under 1k? or above? ^_^ ^_^

Under $1000....well under $1000.

It all looks and sounds great to me I only have one question; I note the sample watch is a Hamilton, these people who do the process wont have a problem with doing our rep watches will they?

ok two questions.....Will the inferior grade of steel in our watches present any kind of problem?

Ken

Avitt

Looks very good, a good all over even coating

Just to let you know the PVD coating I get done on the B&R watches is a special in house PVD coating by the company and has a surface hardness of 5000HVN, yes 5000!. It is a special PVD with a mix of TiAlN and DLC, and it also takes place at very low temperatures so ok for rep parts

It all looks and sounds great to me I only have one question; I note the sample watch is a Hamilton, these people who do the process wont have a problem with doing our rep watches will they?

ok two questions.....Will the inferior grade of steel in our watches present any kind of problem?

Ken

DLC coaters will have no clue what kind of watch cases they're coating... replica, gen, from outer space, etc... They deal in engine components, tooling, etc.

A = Amorphous. I'm under the impression that DLC and ADLC are equivalent and interchangeable.

I've learned that some companies, like Bekaert, do use DLC and ADLC interchangeably...But in those cases, it does refer to an amorphous DLC applied using PACVD.

Edited by avitt