When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on Coffeemakers

Victoria

Hey Victoria....

Looks like I might have to break down and get a Capresso Z5 something or other....my friend just got one and man oh man..talk about L A Z EEEEEEE...that thing is really nice....but for $3k...yikes!

;-)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Victoria....

Looks like I might have to break down and get a Capresso Z5 something or other....my friend just got one and man oh man..talk about L A Z EEEEEEE...that thing is really nice....but for $3k...yikes!

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.as...;ItemId=137fee5

Pennys has it for $3,249.99. Usually, $4,200.00. :o

Haven't been in a JCPenny's store for maybe a decade. I'm glad to see they've upgraded from their Mr. Coffee image...but 3.500, wow. Mind you, if there are $2000 grinders, that's a steal. ^_^

Mmmmmm.... coffee. Something I could talk about for days.

For a good (the best) drip pot - I'd go with something by Technivorm (http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml). They are, hands down, the best in drip coffee makers. It is my next drip pot, right now I have a Zojirushi and am VERY happy (http://www.zaccardis.com/zojirushi-thermal-coffee-maker.html). Bang for the buck, it is tough to beat!

If ya want to talk espresso, I can REALLY do that too! Here are a few 'shots' for y'all!

P1020061.jpg

P1020069.jpg

And one naked!

P1040337.jpg

Edited by WatchDude

My own thoughts:

41K6BNPYWKL._SS500_.jpg

Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker

I own two. One at home and one at my summer place (so 2 altitudes and 2 water sources). Both make excellent coffee. It has been rated highly almost everywhere I look. It costs around $89USD. And for me the big thing is the carafe. It keeps coffee hot for several HOURS! I am not kidding. Come home it's still hot. Bought mine at Amazon

Good luck with whatever you choose :good:

Edited by Xyphis

Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker

I was terribly interested in this Zojirushi brand, after scouting the coffee forums where the one you pictured, Xyphis, received glowing reviews (next to the Capresso Coffee Team ones, which had the burr grinder built-in. A bit redundant for me).

Since you and Watchdude mentioned the Zojis, but having already gotten the also phenomenally-reviewed Aeropress, I went with the red-headed stepsister version.

zojirushidualyg3.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068PCQ

Price: $20.00 (!)

I took into consideration what another member said, that grinding beans just before brewing is imperative (which I do, religiously). I wanted the bells-and-whistles, but like a tachymetre scale, chronograph, and helium valve in our watches, these programmable features in a coffee maker I will rarely use, and my father less. Its very small footprint ultimately swayed me.

Unfortunately, it looks a bit low-rent, doesn't it. :lady:

But basically it's the same idea -- a thermal carafe coffeemaker.

We'll see. Thanks people! May your beans be lovely and roasted in 2008. :tu:

The problem with a lot of the thermal carafe models is that they all use steel carafes :yuk: that taint the coffee with a steel/tin like aftertaste....I perfer a glass lined carafe and they aren't easy to find.

Otherwise, I only make two cups at a time in my cuisinart glass model along with a couple of espresso shots from the Nespresso

nespresso006.jpg

cheers

All this talk of expensive coffee makers is killing me. I could not help but to chime in.

I am a coffee fanatic. Espresso, Nescafe, American, I don't care as long as it has caffeine...Im good. In the morning, my wife wakes up and sets up a pot of coffee to start our day. We have tried the Cuisinart model you referred to early on in the post, Victoria - It was horrible. it spilled water over our counter area several times and we had to return it twice. I then went to the Braun version that grinds the beans and makes the coffee...I think that one is still sailing through the atmosphere from when I threw it out the back door. Finally we got what I feel is the holy grail of coffee makers...A Mr. Coffee machine from Wal-Mart. For under $60. I am now at peace with the world as my coffee needs are met daily with this wonderful machine. check it out here----------->>>MR.COFFEE

Enjoy the aroma as you start your day.

Happy New Year,

Steve

A Mr. Coffee machine from Wal-Mart. For under $60. I am now at peace with the world as my coffee needs are met daily with this wonderful machine. check it out here----------->>>MR.COFFEE

Thanks, Stevie!

As I posted earlier, I got the Zoji dual. I have a funny feeling I may not like the coffee (for the reason Tech said; before I used colourless filters because I don't the taste of coffee in white filters...), so I'll keep this in mind.

Though Rima's in-laws were not pleased with it, both you and JFreeman suggest the same Mr. Coffee maker. I can tell by the Infiniti clock dial. Everyone who responded was of GREAT help to me, however. :)

(If I do get it, I'll go to where you suggest. I've never been to Walmart, but unlike Paris Hilton, I know they don't sell walls there)

Thanks again, and a very Happy New Year!

DSC04856.jpg

OH! This reminds me. You won't believe this, but I have found a way to merge Ajoesmith's Electric Tootbrush thread, with my Coffeemaker one.

The crema is fantastic in my Gaggia Evolution (not as great as that above), but you need to clean it with a Pallo, such as this:

espressopallong9.jpg

It's less than $10 on ScAmazon, but then there's shipping and the WAIT...no thanks.

So I just hunted down my old $5 Oral-B Cross Action electric toothbrush, and wallah!

pic_centertop_crossactionpwr.jpg

Only on RWG. :lol:

But now, I need advice on a good American-style coffeemaker, so since RWG is slow, please help me out with this non-watch related question. :)

The words 'American' and 'coffee' in one sentence don't match. Even in the Netherlands where coffee is not the same as in Italy or France, they call American coffee ... ditch water :rofl:

Kiddin'... if you wanna know about espresso i can be of advice... the other stuff named coffee is not my field of expertise.

Vic, any thoughts on the Aeropress? IMO, it's not glamorous, it simply makes a great cup of coffee.

It'll be here any moment. I'll let you know in this thread, when it arrives! :)

You know the prezzies I received for Christmas are just "hitting" now. I got a new DVD-Recorder Monday, the Gaggia machine arrived on Saturday, the Zojirushi Drip Dual comes any day, but THIS BABY arrived today, the Logitech Harmony 880 remote:

lharmony880py8.jpg

I'm in love. :wub:

(I'm such a gadgets girl)

Zojirushi

Its Japanese, pure excellence at an affordable price

It's one of those brands that you've heard of, but never really paid attention to -- well, I didn't in Japan! The dual coffeemaker shipped out today. Will take a wristshot with my first cup o'Joe from the Zoji. :)

P.S.: You really are in love with your wife's country, Ajoesmith. That's beautiful to see!

@Doc Savage: Whoa. Good idea. This remote is REALLY cool. I'm searching for anything in my home that needs a remote, just to be able to use it.

...you know, Doc, you and I are scarily similar in tastes. Hmm. ;)