When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement for Daydate movement?

olegunnar

As a newbie, I fear that may ask an old question: But I want to know if I can get a gen Rolex replacement for my ETA movement? (I got my Daydate (grey dial) from Jay in Silixprime and I am very pleased with it; I simply want to know the options). What is important to look out for? Does anyone have experience with such a replacement job? What should I expect to pay for the gen movement? Will a Rolex movement that was build for a gen Daydate fit straight into my Silix Daydate rep, or is that simply a naive assumption?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :-)

Will

Fitting a gen Day-Date movement into a rep case probably isn't worth the time and effort. The Silix Day-Date movt is a modified 2836-2, so first of all, you'd have to get the older 3085 movt to even have a chance of the stem/crown lining up w/ the case tube. Next, would it fit the rep dial? I don't know. Would the day and date line up w/ the windows on the rep dial?You'd definitely need new Rolex hands- they're different from the ETA hands. And where do you think you're going to find a Rolex Day Date movement? And don't forget, rep cases are a little bit bigger than gen Rolex cases- how you gonna keep the movement from moving around?

If you like your Silix Day-Date, enjoy it and service it for $100 if you have to. If you really want a gen Day-Date, look for a vintage- they're less expensive. IMO, it's just not worth t to put a gen DD movt in a rep case.

Fitting a gen Day-Date movement into a rep case probably isn't worth the time and effort. The Silix Day-Date movt is a modified 2836-2, so first of all, you'd have to get the older 3085 movt to even have a chance of the stem/crown lining up w/ the case tube. Next, would it fit the rep dial? I don't know. Would the day and date line up w/ the windows on the rep dial?You'd definitely need new Rolex hands- they're different from the ETA hands. And where do you think you're going to find a Rolex Day Date movement? And don't forget, rep cases are a little bit bigger than gen Rolex cases- how you gonna keep the movement from moving around?

If you like your Silix Day-Date, enjoy it and service it for $100 if you have to. If you really want a gen Day-Date, look for a vintage- they're less expensive. IMO, it's just not worth t to put a gen DD movt in a rep case.

Hi, and thanks for the realistic input. Im sure you are right, it simply was a naive idea I had. But as it probably is not worth it, I shall rather look for an vintage DayDate instead. Appreciated anyway.

Will

Ironically, it would stand to reason that they would use a 2834-2 because it is a DD movement similar to the Rolex, but my DD rep has a 2836-2 in it. And the 2836-2 has a day feature, only it is at 3 o'clock next to the date. Another case of the chinese making alterations to the movement- like they do for the 2836-2 GMT's.

my day date also has a 2836-2 ETA movement. The biggest issue with putting a gen day date movement into a rep case is that the case is stainless steel or gold plated and not solid yellow or white gold. If you are interested in doing a nice franken project that will be very realistic and accurate in the end, then you might want to go with a datejust. The 1680 submariner and 1665 sea dwellers are the best for building frankens becasue the movements are readily available and these gen watches hold their value unlike a datejust or day date. But like i said if you like the dressy Rollies, then go for a nice datejust franken and you'll have a more accurate watch in the end.

good luck!

dizz