When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What grits of sandpaper to finish modded CG's?

Martyd3

I use fine and, if needed, superfine followed by an initial buff by way of a dremel (at slowest speed) fitted with a cloth wheel coated with green rouge (available at ofrei.com or any other watch supply house). Finally, if I want a brilliant shine (for modern watches), I may do a final hand buffing with Maguiar's Mirror Glaze Number 7 (available at many auto parts stores) and a clean terry cloth towel.

Once the the CG's are filed down, what grits of sandpaper do you use to finish them prior to polishing?

Thanks.

Marty

start with a single 0 (single ott) then a ..00,.. then go to a 000, you can buy single sheets at a body shop (car) supplier or they may have it at the hardware store,.. but for this fine grade auto refinishing painting supply's are sure to have them .. that is the grades u will be looking for.. use a small block of wood or some thing flat and wrap the paper around it...you will keep the lines straight this way... get dish soap and put a few drops in a cup of water and use that to wet sand it, the sand paper will glide smoother.. alway's move the block in straight lineswith the grain of the line,.. be sure to "wet" sand it

then get a dremel and metal polish (aluminum mag wheel polish works just as well as rouge) or jewlers rouge.. available at Ace hardware as accessory to dremel tool, and a polishing wheel, (dremel kit has all of this.. it is a good investment at aroung 30 usd for the entire kit) finish with a soft cloth and more metal polish to get the swirls out from the dremel

good luck

Lani

I use wet/dry sandpaper from the auto parts places, but the grits that I buy are 320, 400, 600 and 1000. Progress from 320 to 1000 and then I usually put some polishing compound on the 1000 and then like Freddy says, buffing w/ a dremel, or hand polishing w/ a cloth. Cape Cod Cloths are good also for a final polishing.