When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Importing Cars from US to UK

TeeJay

I want to buy a 1978 Camero. I figure that, cost of the car, plus importing costs, is going to be less than buying a UK car, which, to be honest, does not 'grab me by the balls' the way this car has (thanks to the Transformers movie for putting a new face to the car) I've done a little scouting about online, and have found prices are reasonable, but, I don't know anything about the legalities or costs of importing, so wondered if anyone here might have any experience or advice?

In terms of cost/condition of car, this is the kind of thing I want to get my hands on:

1004075-510284_1.jpg

When I'm finished working on it, I want it to look like this:

camaro_bumblebee-old.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by TeeJay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UK is left sided driving. => problems? :p

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a 'problem', as there are plenty of left hand drive cars in the UK, it might just make visibility slightly less easy :)

Why not ask Google?

http://www.import-car.info/

Thanks for the link, I'll certainly look into it, I just wondered if folks might've had any personal insight rather than just 'facts and figures' on a site :)

why not get one from germany, theres are losts of old US cars over here, have a look

That's a fantastic suggestion, it would certainly solve a long freight trip for the car, would be a very good 'getting to know you/test drive', and of course, put me in the area for the proposed Europe GTG :lol: Cunning plan :lol:

First thing: Learn to spell the name of the car you're looking for. You'd be surprised how much that can help in online searches. ;)

ps. I have it on good authority that Bumblebee was a 1976 Camaro, not a '78

I was about to say, I believe they actually used a 1977, I keep thinking 78 as that's my date of birth... I'm no mathmagician :lol:

[Edit to add]

You're quite right, it was the 76, not 77 (or 78 :lol: ) model :) The fact I'm not looking for one in pristine condition will certainly help keep the price down :thumbsupsmileyanim::victory:

Edited by TeeJay

TeeJay, good luck to you. When I was a child, my father imported an automatic car for my mother from the US, so she could drive around the UK. She doesn't do "stick" as Americans say. And she preferred the left-hand ride.

Guess what? It was 1982 Camaro Barretta (sp?), if memory serves. Great muscle car.

What I recall is that the VAT almost killed him, but he got a break because they had owned it for a while -- a year or so. I think there's a discount if you can claim it's your regular mode of transport in the US, and need it as such in the UK.

So far, both Narikaa and Andy's suggestions seem the best. Sorry I can't help more.

You'll look a treat in it, as she did, I'm sure. ;)

P.S.: Actually, I can help you A BIT. I am going to buy a car this January, so these sites and I have become very close friends:

http://www.autotrader.com/

http://www.carfax.com/

Once you get a beat on your Camaro, be sure to get the VIN number. In the latter site, you can check its history, including if it's been in accidents to check the sturdiness of the frame, etc.

This site tells you what a car should be worth, key if you're a foreigner getting jacked for the price, the very famous Kelley Blue Book.

http://www.kbb.com/

Well, they don't exactly answer your question, but perhaps they can help you in your quest. :)

@Ape: Hmm, could be. Doesn't sound right, except for the -etta ending. I remember thinking the Camaro was cool because it kinda resembled our name. *g*

Guess what? It was 1982 Camaro Barretta (sp?), if memory serves. Great muscle car.

Berlinetta the word you're looking for, Vic? ..or maybe you mean the more recent Chevrolet Beretta?

I don't know if this applies to US-imports, but importing a veteran car (older than 30 years) is tax-free between countries in the EU/EEC. You have to pay VAT for freight costs and whatnot though. (Don't take my word for this bit)

So you might be better off looking for a car in Europe.. Germany/Denmark/Sweden could be good places to look. I have seen a lot of old Camaros for sale in UK-magazines too. ..at least they are a lot cheaper there than in Norway.

-Ape-

Somethin you might want to explore seeing as you arnt buying new.

I recall this from my days of riding the UK tarmac in a 7liter Lincoln Continental

That when they toughened up on MOT tests a good few years back, that is when the headaches started

Things like non EU type approved lights etc (flashing red indicators and the like, not to mention no 'Kite' mark approval stamps)

Be sure before you commit

Things like non EU type approved lights etc (flashing red indicators and the like, not to mention no 'Kite' mark approval stamps)

Be sure before you commit

I was going to mention that, but I believe the laws are different for vintage cars. Something TeeJay needs to research, and I would start with that site you listed.

BTW from the Camaro Wiki entry:

Top Gear's American fly-drive special featured a third-generation Camaro, bought by presenter Jeremy Clarkson for US$800 in Miami. During the filming, Clarkson became rather attached to the car, at one point stating that "I'd rather be in this now than an Enzo."

Heh. And yes, Camaros are dead cheap here, TeeJay. Miamians were always big into muscle cars.

It has to be alot easier crossing the pond from US-EU than for example bringing to the US from abroad.

I have family in spaion who wanted to bring a car back with them when they visited over here...it would have been a small pain, mostly the VAT fees, and some legal mumbo jumbo regarding non-clear turning blinkers, as they should be orange in color (the plastic). But i'm certain there might be other legalities you need to look into.

I'm certain the best route for you is to consult with the European equivalent of our D.O.T

Oh and good luck, the 76- camaro's are real nice projects when executed correctly

TeeJay, good luck to you. When I was a child, my father imported an automatic car for my mother from the US, so she could drive around the UK. She doesn't do "stick" as Americans say. And she preferred the left-hand ride.

What I recall is that the VAT almost killed him, but he got a break because they had owned it for a while -- a year or so. I think there's a discount if you can claim it's your regular mode of transport in the US, and need it as such in the UK.

So far, both Narikaa and Andy's suggestions seem the best. Sorry I can't help more.

You'll look a treat in it, as she did, I'm sure. ;)

P.S.: Actually, I can help you A BIT. I am going to buy a car this January, so these sites and I have become very close friends:

http://www.autotrader.com/

http://www.carfax.com/

Once you get a beat on your Camaro, be sure to get the VIN number. In the latter site, you can check its history, including if it's been in accidents to check the sturdiness of the frame, etc.

This site tells you what a car should be worth, key if you're a foreigner getting jacked for the price, the very famous Kelley Blue Book.

http://www.kbb.com/

Well, they don't exactly answer your question, but perhaps they can help you in your quest. :)

@Ape: Hmm, could be. Doesn't sound right, except for the -etta ending. I remember thinking the Camaro was cool because it kinda resembled our name. *g*

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a look :) I know there are UK magazines dealing in American cars, but, that's just asking to get my pants pulled down over the price, which was why I thought buying in the US and then importing it might be a cheaper option. Thanks to Narikaa's link, I've discovered that the VAT applies if the owner is importing it within 6 months of ownership. This won't be a purchase I'll be making for a while, but I wanted to try and get the facts well ahead of time. What I'm thinking might be worth doing, is, tracking down a car in the US, going over to see it, test drive it, etc, and buy it, then throw it in storage for 6 months with one of those storage companies and return to the UK. 6 months down the line, I can then make the plans to bring it over, and get round the 6 month ownership criteria ;)

TeeJay, you realize that a real '76 Camaro wont "transform" into a guardian robot, right????

What?!?!?! You're [censored] shitting me, right?!?!

You mean I don't push a button on the dash and get a robot guardian to help me get the girl and defend me from school bullies?!?! Well [censored] that [censored] then, I'll look for something else... I've seen the Citroen adverts... Those bitches transform!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

citroen.jpg

53635-1.jpg

53197cit-.jpg

;)

[Edit to add]

The 'skating' robot appears to have been a design fore-runner for Bumblebee...

tfbay2.thumbnail.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

Since it's a long-term project anyway, I'd certainly explore the EU route if I were you. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by finding one in Germany, for instance.

On the other hand, going over to the U.S. and tracking one down might be a great adventure and a wonderful experience.

I wonder how much one in show-car condition would cost....?

Update: over $100,000 for certain mint late 60s models :o

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/chevro...&offset=160

Otherwise, from $500 (project car) and up, depending on year and condition.

Here's a general link that should keep you busy:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...G=Google+Search

Since it's a long-term project anyway, I'd certainly explore the EU route if I were you. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by finding one in Germany, for instance.

On the other hand, going over to the U.S. and tracking one down might be a great adventure and a wonderful experience.

I wonder how much one in show-car condition would cost....?

Update: over $100,000 for certain mint late 60s models :o

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/chevro...&offset=160

Otherwise, from $500 (project car) and up, depending on year and condition.

Here's a general link that should keep you busy:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...G=Google+Search

Thanks for the links :) You're right, an EU purchase could well cut back on some expenses, it's certainly worth a look, although as you say, going to the US to get one would be a great adventure :)

Show-condition cars cost a fortune... I've seen enough episodes of Over-haulin' and Wrecks to Riches to know that in pristine condition, the cars command a high price. Fortunately, I'm looking for one that's not so perfect, to give it the 'personality' which Bumblebee had during the first half of the movie. I recal reading that that filming car was sold on eBay, and brought a price as high as a pristine car, simply because it was the movie production car. The 're-boot' car would also be nice, but, that was a custom-built concept car, which was actually built on a heavily modified Pontiac GTO with moldings and parts (even the wheels were faked) so that would also command a ludicrously high price (as would the real thing when it's released :lol: )

I just thought I'd have a look on eBay, just to scout around, and, although it isn't the right year, I did find a Camaro for sale for $600. " :thumbsupsmileyanim: " I thought, till I read the sale. Car is complete. Minus engine and transmission :lol:

I just thought I'd have a look on eBay, just to scout around, and, although it isn't the right year, I did find a Camaro for sale for $600. " :thumbsupsmileyanim: " I thought, till I read the sale. Car is complete. Minus engine and transmission :lol:

Wow!

Think of what you'll save on petrol! :lol:

Berlinetta the word you're looking for, Vic? ..or maybe you mean the more recent Chevrolet Beretta?

<Snigger>

Can we have a bell installed in this forum that we can ring every time Vikki makes yet another one of these mistakes....

<runs for cover......>

<Snigger>

Can we have a bell installed in this forum that we can ring every time Vikki makes yet another one of these mistakes....

<runs for cover......>

Or one installed for every time you call her on it? C'mon dude, there's just no need for bringing that to a thread I started to get advice on importing cars... It's supposed to be the season for goodwill and all that...

I wish someone would take a Beretta and shoot half the fargin' idiots on these boards...that come up with idiotic notions based on a movie.....Dad...Dad.....I wanna Bumblebee car.....awww.....please Dad......c;mon....Dad....I'll be good I promise.....!

Festive greetings to one and all....!

Edited by TTK