When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trusty's New 164

HauteHippie

Of the three new PAMs Trusty is showing, I think the 164 is the best and very good overall. The dial is great. Even the A's are improved, although probably not quite perfect. The date font looks reasonable. The magnifier is improved, although probably still a little undersized (nothing I can't fix with a chieftang cyclops). The crown and CG really aren't bad. The crown thickness looks good but perhaps the number of teeth is off (too few). The 104 is good also, but the L SWISS MADE L is just too close to the 6 o'clock marker on the dial and looks too weird. Anyhow, what do you think?

Rep:

91011361id1.jpg

Gen:

pam_164_1.jpg

Funny, I was just sending Angus a mail about the new 164 and 104.

The 164 looks as the better of the 2 and is probably going to replace my 21j version with mineral crystal. I'm not sure if the font on the gen is bolder. See pics.

Too bad they didn't got the L SWISS L right on the 104. Business as usual... :(

edit:

the gen has silver-grey nummerals, 1-2-4-5-7-8-10-11

Hmmm, so much for the improved 164. I think I'm going to stick to my 21j version after all :(

post-4081-1199492610_thumb.jpg

post-4081-1199492644_thumb.jpg

The date mag and font look better than before, yet I still prefer the base look of the 111, 005 etc. cleaner and less cluttered.

The hours font look bolder on the gen.

Hmm, good eye... It looks to me like only 12 and 6 are lumed with C3 along with the 3 and 9 stick markers. The other numbers look like white paint. I wonder if The Zigmeister would entertain fattening up the painted numbers a bit.... That might be too much to ask, even of The Zigmeister.

EDIT: Check the pics scoobs1971 posted... Now the painted numbers look right to me.

Numerals 12 and 6 are bigger on rep and pusehed towards the edge of the dial, 12 is almost touching the rehaut.

Caseback serial is slightly wrong, as the I-series 164 came out in 2000 pieces, not 1500.

Other's have already pointed out oversized hour numerals on a rep.

Lug screw holes are now placed higher, the same issue new PAM250 has, a real eyesore IMO, but not to big issue for most.

Decorated mov't with CDG and OPIII engraving is a nice touch, but not sure why would you go that far on a closed caseback rep, and the movement that's missing ETA logo, anyway.

They sort of half-fixed the horizontal bar on letter A, but it's still off :-(

...just my quick & dirty 2 cents.

babola

the gen has silver-grey nummerals, 1-2-4-5-7-8-10-11.

the contrast is very interesting. the rep has for all numerals the same color, that's incorrect and ugly.

i thought they make a high end upgrade version, and what we get to see is a big disappointment.

here some gen pics.

rolli

post-2837-1199526293_thumb.jpg post-2837-1199526302_thumb.jpg post-2837-1199526311_thumb.jpg

post-2837-1199526328_thumb.jpg post-2837-1199526340_thumb.jpg post-2837-1199526353_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was really excited there for a minute when these were posted. But I agree with everyone else. The 104 has the "L Swiss Made L" too close to the 6. The 164 has too small of 5 minute dots. The 233 i doubt is the right color blue.

They all have the same new "A" in Panerai - which is closer - but still wrong. What ever font they are using now still has the cross bar too low and all of the letters are now a little to wide. Ahh, well. I await the next round.

Yeah, I was really excited there for a minute when these were posted. But I agree with everyone else. The 104 has the "L Swiss Made L" too close to the 6. The 164 has too small of 5 minute dots. The 233 i doubt is the right color blue.

They all have the same new "A" in Panerai - which is closer - but still wrong. What ever font they are using now still has the cross bar too low and all of the letters are now a little to wide. Ahh, well. I await the next round.

The 104 has the right "L swiss made L" position:

104.jpg.xs.jpg

This is from 2006 catalog though.

On previous versions it was lower.

It also seams that they made a version, probably the latest one, with open 6!:

1058861960822_dettaglio_3_g.jpg.xs.jpg

It also seams that they made a version, probably the latest one, with open 6!

Most of the wristies I've seen from gen 104s have an open 6. Didn't know there were also versions with closed 6...

The 104 has the right "L swiss made L" position:

Here's another one with the L Swiss Made L close to the 6. I think it's the same watch.

But these are the only pics I've seen with the font that close. Can we be sure this is a real released product and not a prelimenary Panerai pic?

post-4081-1199646464_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if the PAM0240 (Titanium, brown dial) is scheduled for release?

i saw the genuine of this model on hand and can say it is a very bad looking watch. First i thought it is a rep, but it was at a german jeweler Wempe :D

Most of the wristies I've seen from gen 104s have an open 6. Didn't know there were also versions with closed 6...

Here's another one with the L Swiss Made L close to the 6. I think it's the same watch.

But these are the only pics I've seen with the font that close. Can we be sure this is a real released product and not a prelimenary Panerai pic?

The pic where we can see the L swiss made L very close to 6, is from the official 2006 catalog..., I don't think they would publish on catalog just preliminary versions...