When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got a 24mm Rubber Strap

Leifhaus

I got the standard officine Panerai rubber strap finally after being lost in the mail for half a month. I put tubes in and screwed it on. Wow this strap is what's the word, it aint broken in leather that's for sure. It's stiff. Is it going to break in at all or what you get is what you get? It looks cool but doesn't quite sit centered on my wrist because it's not conforming. Any thoughts?

I got the standard officine Panerai rubber strap finally after being lost in the mail for half a month. I put tubes in and screwed it on. Wow this strap is what's the word, it aint broken in leather that's for sure. It's stiff. Is it going to break in at all or what you get is what you get? It looks cool but doesn't quite sit centered on my wrist because it's not conforming. Any thoughts?

I'm presuming it's a rep rubber diver strap, Screech? I really dislike wearing the rep versions, because of what you describe. Mine are not exactly stiff, but they are very uncomfortable for ME.

I finally had to buy the OEM (original) Panerai strap, and that is much much softer, if pricey ($125).

I'm going to be joining a fitness spa soon, so I will have ample opportunity to test out both the OEM and rep rubber straps. As you suspect, with a good work out, it might soften.

Thanks V. I'll give the strap some time, but will eventually try to buy a used gen strap. I hate my screen name :yuk: . It was chosen in haste after I found this great forum. I guess I can cancel the account and choose another, but I'll lose all my posts.

No no, E. Just PM Admin with your desired screen name, and he'll change it for you. He's the only one who can do it. You could be BANNED if you have more than one account!

Word in your ear -- when I changed mine to my Christian name, I included a few surrogates, in case my first choice was taken. Shyeah, like there are so many WOMEN on RWG...

An idea I had earlier, and forgot to post until now, was:

Try using a hair-dryer to gently heat the strap, manipulate it into a more curved shape, then, holding it in that shape, run it under the cold tap. Might help put some shape into it, I can't say I've actually tried it myself... Best of luck :)

There are 2 different rep straps that I have owned..The standard buckle strap sucks!!...Wayyyyy too stiff for my tastes...

The strap that comes with the deployant clasp, on the other hand, is quite supple and comfortable...This is probably because the deployant buckle needs a thinner strap to work properly, and it is a good deal thinner especially at the buckle ends...

I have also found some non Panerai aftermarket straps at :

Thorntonwatch.com, that come with a very decent deployant clasp, for @ $12.00!!...Theses are very comfortable and pliant...I bought a couple just to harvest the deployant buckles, and decided to use them as they were!

• 4 weeks later...

OKAY! I fixed my rubber strap and now it is very comfortable. I basically trained the rubber to stay curved and now that it's cuved it doesn't cut into my wrist. I squeezed the two pieces, removed from the watch head, between two desks right near the lugs, where the "C" of OffiCine, and the "N" of PaNerai are and left it squeezed between the two desks for 24 hours. You could also use clamps I guess.

So far the rubber hasn't settled back and is sufficiently curved and comfortable. When laying the watch flat now there is a curve to the rubber strap, which is more like a broken in leather strap. It's great. Try it and add your results to this thread. BTW this is a rep strap.

All the best.

Eric