When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage daytona frankensteins

mediawonk

I am buying custom vintage Daytonas, but there is never one that really does the whole trick either the movement cant set the time, something falls off the subdials are the wrong material or too close together, (serious offence)!! it has to be black with white dials with black or ss bezel I dont mind I would prefer a 39 or 40 mm case size even though I know teh older ones were only 37mm. Help Who is DW and how do I get in touch. I want ~ Parts emporium and someone to build it.

I want to pay good money for a genuine SWISS movement for a custom built Vintage daytona preferably auto. ??

Edited by mediawonk

A couple of things here: Vintage Daytonas were a manual wind watch, not automatic. Original movements were the Valjoux 72 and its variants (i.e. improved movts like the 722 and 727). Case size was 37mm.

If you want a vintage Daytona w/ an auto movt (the asain 7750), and 39-40mm case, just buy one from one of the collectors listed on this site.

DW is David Wang and he has the correct 37mm cases with the assymetrical pushers. To build a vintage Daytona w/ DW case, dial, etc and a V72 will cost you around $2K, maybe more. Oh and I forgot, he used to sell a vintage Daytona w/ the asian 7750. Never checked the price on that one- maybe around $500.

If you want to buy an assembled vintage franken-Daytona (or build your own the easy (albeit expensive) way), click here. But if you just want to buy a reasonable rep, check the Watch Collector Galleries (requires Supporter status).

These watches are complicated & there are alot of variations among the reps, most of which deviate from accuracy. So to avoid making a costly mistake, I would familiarize yourself with the gens in the Rolex forums on TZ or the listings on antiquorum.com before you click any Buy buttons.

How come that the case kits are so expensive now? J & W charges about 1500$, that he's expensive I've understood, but as I can see DW's as expensive, anyway on the casekit he has on iOffer. When I browse all the old threads regarding daytona's it seems that around 500$ bought you a case just a while ago. Freddy, didn't you have some suggestion to make a cheaper "correct case" with a modded 7750 (without the pendulum), for around 800$? That was a great suggestion, to bad nothing come of it (or?!). ;)

I love the 62xx series, but symmetrical pushers are a dead give away on the "standard" reps, shame... :mellow:

DW sells the same cases for less than Phong does, but your biggest hit, by far, comes from the Valjoux 72 movement (once you are actually able to acquire one) & all the ancillary gen parts you need. Figure $1,500+ for those (plus the cost of the case) and you still have to get everything constructed into a cohesive watch. Considering the amount of work required, I can see why Phong charges what he does for a fully-assembled Daytona.

I proposed the idea to DW that he consider selling the 7751-version here (the 7751 is the manual-wind version of the 7750), but he felt there would not be a sufficient number of paying customers (retail would run around $800) to make it worth his while. And my informal poll, while showing there is some interest here, did not convince him otherwise. But, I agree with you that such a watch is sadly missing from the marketplace.

DW sells the same cases for less than Phong does, but your biggest hit, by far, comes from the Valjoux 72 movement (once you are actually able to acquire one) & all the ancillary gen parts you need. Figure $1,500+ for those (plus the cost of the case) and you still have to get everything constructed into a cohesive watch. Considering the amount of work required, I can see why Phong charges what he does for a fully-assembled Daytona.

I proposed the idea to DW that he consider selling the 7751-version here (the 7751 is the manual-wind version of the 7750), but he felt there would not be a sufficient number of paying customers (retail would run around $800) to make it worth his while. And my informal poll, while showing there is some interest here, did not convince him otherwise. But, I agree with you that such a watch is sadly missing from the marketplace.

Thanks ~Freddy Ive already got J & W making me a 6263 they are going source me a V72 movement the whole deal is being built by them with genuine parts, The end cost is $6500.00 (toppy i know) But bear in mind the real deal is $50.000.00 on E~bay and im not planning to sell it, as it will have no box and papers.

It will be a good example that I can 'smoke' around town for the rest of my life . If it turns out good I will get them to 'Frank' me a 6265 as well.

Thanks for the Tip . I'd Never heard of J and W before you advised me . "I owe you one matey" (I mean a pat on the back, not a watch hehehe) I know this sounds painful but you know the meagre strap that goes with these little vintage Daytona's. Well with a little careful tooling or filing on the end link (collar) of a standard Oyster strap and you can make the bigger strap fit without it looking like the thin example they came with. Ive done one and it looks good. I even did it with a newer 'Rolesor' strap even though its not the strap for that watch I dont mind. its a strong sturdy (non Rattler).

Macintosh HD

Edited by mediawonk

Sorry to hear this won't happen... i would be interested if it did happen!

PS. a 7751 is a 7750 with moonphase and month, next to the day/date function on the regular 7750. You can make both movement into manual wind mvt just by removing the automatic winding system, but a regular 7751 is automatic.

PS. a 7751 is a 7750 with moonphase and month, next to the day/date function on the regular 7750. You can make both movement into manual wind mvt just by removing the automatic winding system, but a regular 7751 is automatic.

I must have the version number wrong then. Maybe it is a 7760, I forget. But the point, and plan, was to install the manual-wind version of the 7750 so it would allow for use of one of the shallower V72 casebacks, not a 7750 with the rotor removed (which is what I have done on mine).