When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie Help w/my new IWC Portugeuse

mseanschmidt

Just received my IWC 7750 from Andrew at Trusty. He is a GREAT guy! Watch is awesome!!!

I was hoping to get a few questions answered about using my watch since I'm NEW to using chronographs:

1. Should I keep the second hand running or leave it locked at 12?

2. How often should I wind? Can you wind the watch too much, does it stress the movement? Or, should you rely on the movement throughout the day only using the winding crown when necessary?

3. When they refer to a "power reserve" is that the power built up by the movement? How much power will build up? When will my watch stop working- after sitting ideal 12hrs, 24hrs.?

4. Is there anything I can do to prevent this "seconds at 6 problem"? How will I know... does the watch stop working or just the Chronograph?

5. Okay... here is my big NEWBIE question: what is the chronograph used for? You have the seconds running in the bottom circle but you also have a second hand that does the same thing. Then you have a 30 minute timer (I think this is what it is?) in the upper circle. What is that used for?

Sorry to ask such dumb questions! Just want to make sure I get the most out of my watch. Thanks for such a GREAT forum!

Just received my IWC 7750 from Andrew at Trusty. He is a GREAT guy! Watch is awesome!!!

5. Okay... here is my big NEWBIE question: what is the chronograph used for? You have the seconds running in the bottom circle but you also have a second hand that does the same thing. Then you have a 30 minute timer (I think this is what it is?) in the upper circle. What is that used for?

The best way to learn, is by trying it :p

3. When they refer to a "power reserve" is that the power built up by the movement? How much power will build up? When will my watch stop working- after sitting ideal 12hrs, 24hrs.?

Correct. E.G.: The "8 Days" Panerai has an 8 day power reserve. Like the Lange models, you can actually see it "count down" to let you know how much time you have left.

But, Mseanschmidt...I am reminded vaguely I PMed you -- and you replied. I hope I answered you, as I recall it was before RWG was upgraded!

If not, please let me know what it was you needed. :)

I was hoping to get a few questions answered about using my watch since I'm NEW to using chronographs:

1. Should I keep the second hand running or leave it locked at 12?

2. How often should I wind? Can you wind the watch too much, does it stress the movement? Or, should you rely on the movement throughout the day only using the winding crown when necessary?

4. Is there anything I can do to prevent this "seconds at 6 problem"? How will I know... does the watch stop working or just the Chronograph?

All the rep movements are great.... after servicing.. the makers fail at times to service the A7750 properly.. again refer to Ziggy's thread..

Sorry to ask such dumb questions! Just want to make sure I get the most out of my watch. Thanks for such a GREAT forum!

1. Your chrono hands need only be engaged when actually using the chrono..

2. wind the chrono only to start it if it's an auto movement using the crown to constantly wind the timepiece could damage the movement... refer to ziggy's thread for a more expert answer

3. your power reserve should be 48 hours on full mainspring power.. that is if the mainspring is at full 'reserve"

4. A7750 are supposed to be a better movement than the 7750 .. sometimes with reps it's just the luck of the draw..

there are different chronographs for different proffesions.. do a search for this..

** if you do have a chrono movement with day-date or just date.. never adjust the date wheel with out finding the proper am - pm @5:30 or you may do irreputable dammage to the movement

all our rep movement are 100% more efficient when serviced properly as the makers don't always service them properly.. again refer to Ziggy's thread

Questions aren't dumb.. just ....LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL

** if you do have a chrono movement with day-date or just date.. never adjust the date wheel with out finding the proper am - pm @5:30 or you may do irreputable dammage to the movement

Lanikai,

I may learn something here too... could you explain yourself a little more behind the issues that could occur with adjusting the date wheel. I have never heard this before, but it sounds like something I should know. Thanks for any background on this topic.

Cheers

Lanikai,

I may learn something here too... could you explain yourself a little more behind the issues that could occur with adjusting the date wheel. I have never heard this before, but it sounds like something I should know. Thanks for any background on this topic.

Cheers

Some additional 7750/7750b1/7753 Valjoux Movement Information*Please read them before u play with your watch that has above movement

1. How do you set date on 7750 or 7753 or 7750b1 or any movt with date chrono/ automatic?

Do not activate the chrono until you have done all these steps as mentioned

When you receive your piece, please remember to handwind the piece for about maybe 50 rounds, so to generate enough power reserve. Then you shake the piece like a "mad cow" for 3-4 minutes to generate more power reserve (If necessary)

Then pull the crown out to adjust the hour hand manually to determine when is am/pm. See the date change - then you will know when is am/ pm. Make sure you know when is am/ pm before you proceed

Make sure you do not adjust the date between 10pm-3am ever!!! Do not ask me why because it just works this way. if you adjust between 10pm-3am, the date will jam or go half way. After u have confirmed the am/ pm

Thanks Lankai,

I guess that explains why my date one my 3717 got stuck half way. Thanks for the insight. I can't believe I have not heard this before. Great info! Now I will know what not to do when I get my new Aquatimer which should be here any day now.

Some additional 7750/7750b1/7753 Valjoux Movement Information*Please read them before u play with your watch that has above movement

1. How do you set date on 7750 or 7753 or 7750b1 or any movt with date chrono/ automatic?

Do not activate the chrono until you have done all these steps as mentioned

When you receive your piece, please remember to handwind the piece for about maybe 50 rounds, so to generate enough power reserve. Then you shake the piece like a "mad cow" for 3-4 minutes to generate more power reserve (If necessary)

Then pull the crown out to adjust the hour hand manually to determine when is am/pm. See the date change - then you will know when is am/ pm. Make sure you know when is am/ pm before you proceed

Make sure you do not adjust the date between 10pm-3am ever!!! Do not ask me why because it just works this way. if you adjust between 10pm-3am, the date will jam or go half way. After u have confirmed the am/ pm

Thanks Lankai,

I guess that explains why my date one my 3717 got stuck half way. Thanks for the insight. I can't believe I have not heard this before. Great info! Now I will know what not to do when I get my new Aquatimer which should be here any day now.

My buddy had it happen to his Omega SMP chrono.. (genuine) .. I've had it happen to me when i wasn't paying attention to what i was doing.. when this happens to others that don't know this, they usually claim faulty movement..

so out of habit weather it be Chrono or sweep second movement I alway's take the hands to the proper 5:30 before adjusting the day-date :D