When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vegas tourneau - disappointed

deltatahoe

so i was in vegas for the long weekend & stopped by the tourneau hoping for some major watch eyecandy, but to be honest was pretty disappointed :wounded1:

sure, they probably had 500 different rolex watches in the rolex section, but they only had 5-10 subs, sedwellers or other classic rolex designs worth mentioning. most notably absent were the gmt's -- they didn't have the ceramic bezel gmt, or any gmt for that matter. pretty slim pickings in the panerai section as well (apart from the ferrari series, which almost matched the number of non-ferrari pams they had available).

the highlight of the trip for me was seeing the new big-size ingy with power reserve indicator. i tried it on, as i felt it should be pretty good proxy of how the big pilot would likely feel on the wrist (given it's nearly impossible to find them in stock at an AD). however, i have to say after seeing it in person -- it is a real looker in it's own right :wub:

probably the most disappointing part of the whole experience was the person following me around the store, who was the snootiest worker i've ever experienced at an AD. she was constantly spouting a bunch of canned b/s in her most condescending tone, yet couldn't answer some pretty basic questions.

one part of our conversation went something like this:

me (trying on the big ingy): i actually dodn't like how much this iwc strap tapers given the heft of the watch....

her: well, you know all watch bands are like this -- it's the way they are designed....blah blah blah (i can't stand to type any more -- she went on a long discourse about this).

me (i didn't feel like arguing): yeah, i guess you just kind of get used to wider straps after wearing a panerai for a while...

her: which panerai do you have? panerai straps taper down like this as well...

me: i have a 112.

her: oh, the seven day power reserve?

me: no, it's a historic model.

her: oh, well you know those were intended to be worn outside of a wetsuit -- that's why the straps were thicker on those. they aren't intended to be worn next to your skin.....

me: umm, ok. :blink:

anyways, you get the idea.....maybe i'm spoiled by the shreve & tourneau here in sf or had unrealistic expectations for the tourneau in vegas, but figured i'd pass along my experience....

deltatahoe

The Vegas shop is somewhat interesting... I like the little sections that they have, such as the IWC area. I've never really been bothered by the idiot staff. In other words, I usually get around to seeing everything that I want without some banal or idiotic conversation with a sales person.

It's a must stop for me each time I go to Vegas - for no reason really aside from seeing what's up in the watch world. Besides, here in L.A., there are vastly superior shops (anybody been to Westime?).

I was just there last month.

I thought the nicest watch gallery I was in was in the Wynn.

Tourneau had a lot of watches...but I was especially interested in seeing if they had a Nautilus.

They did not...said in fact that it was pretty much impossible to get.

Looked at IWC's too, they had no 3717's.

There was also a nice gallery in the new Venetian.

The dealer there remarked on my PPN, on my wrist...saying only, that they did not carry PP.

He was wearing Piaget.

All in all Vegas has a lot of watches for sale...but mostly Rolex.

Higher end swiss are few and far between, with any kind of real selection.

"her: oh, well you know those were intended to be worn outside of a wetsuit -- that's why the straps were thicker on those. they aren't intended to be worn next to your skin....."

You should have responded with "oh, well I was going to buy this nice expensive watch, but since I don't dive or wear a wetsuit, I guess I won't bother..."

And watch her eyes bug out form losing the commission :)

I had the same experience a few months ago, was very disappointed in the Panerai selection. I also found it weird that they had so many high end brands as well as so many cheap ass/K-Mart brands all in one store.

But on the way out of Tourneau, I noticed a little shop right across the way (like 4 or 5 shops to the left on the opposite side of Tourneau), very small shop, but they had some kewl watches. They had 3 or 4 HBB's and they also had a Big Pilot, which i tried on, and fell in love with...

I have found that the shop at the Stanford mall in Palo Alto (can

I was dissapointed in thier new store in Orlando FL. They had NO Rolex, NO Panerai, NO Breitling, NO TAG Heuer and NO Omega, but they DID have Swatch :rolleyes: They had some Zenith, Oris, Hamilton and others though. When I asked about Omega, they told me "we don't get much request for those here" :huh: . Big dissapointment, would never go back.

I had the same experience a few months ago, was very disappointed in the Panerai selection. I also found it weird that they had so many high end brands as well as so many cheap ass/K-Mart brands all in one store.

But on the way out of Tourneau, I noticed a little shop right across the way (like 4 or 5 shops to the left on the opposite side of Tourneau), very small shop, but they had some kewl watches. They had 3 or 4 HBB's and they also had a Big Pilot, which i tried on, and fell in love with...

I have found that the shop at the Stanford mall in Palo Alto (can

I love Tourneau, esp. since they almost all they do is watches.

Near me, Tourneau is great, I was even able to haggle down the price of my new SMP and they sent me a $250 gift certificate to boot (for the next time I spend over 1000)

One of the coolest places I've seen PP's is at Harrods when I was in London studying abroad. That place has an amazing high end watch selection.

I had the same experience in the Vegas Tourneau.

Twice.

The first time was around Christmas 2006, the second was October 07. Both times they acted like they did not give a damn if they sold anything or not. In Oct I went in wearing my gen Seamaster and a suit, could not get a salesman. Some lady was trying to get a guy in a t-shirt and cut off jean shorts to finance a 10k Panerai. It baffles the mind.

I would recommend you check out the shops in the Venetian. The layout is pretty much a knockoff of how the Forum shops used to look (the older part) but they had two small watch shops where I received good service (compared to Tourneau anyway). The names of the shops escape me however.

Just don't buy from Tourneau Atlanta!!!!

I was there in spring '02 and they just acquired a used Rolex Blue SUB TT circa 2000 that I fell in love with and bought on the spot with promises to mail me the Box and Papers.......

long story short? Never got it!!! The watch have been working flawlessly all these years, but no papers and no box!!!!

I'm in Vegas 6+ times a year, so I always visit Tourneau during one of my BJ breaks...huge, but not the best. I'm usually wearing my gen 2 tone blue sub, but they do run a fairly comprehensive list of watches. I was considering a gen Cartier Santos 100 chrono, but didn't pull the trigger. Their Panerai section is always small, but the sales guys always tell me that they can get me certain models that they can make a phone call on...the last time i was there in Dec, they only had 4 panerais. I forgot to ask if they could source a black steel avenger...still hoping this gets made...

Funny thing...they don't carry Hublot...but in the Forum Shops, there is a smaller store on the right hand side heading back to Caesars that does carry Hublot. They had 2 BB, a SS and a Rose Gold...sales lady was doing the big pitch, but let me try them all on. To be honest, I thought our reps were pretty close in overall feel...I'd love to do a real side by side with a SS Ceramic BB.

so i was in vegas for the long weekend & stopped by the tourneau hoping for some major watch eyecandy, but to be honest was pretty disappointed :wounded1:

sure, they probably had 500 different rolex watches in the rolex section, but they only had 5-10 subs, sedwellers or other classic rolex designs worth mentioning. most notably absent were the gmt's -- they didn't have the ceramic bezel gmt, or any gmt for that matter. pretty slim pickings in the panerai section as well (apart from the ferrari series, which almost matched the number of non-ferrari pams they had available).

the highlight of the trip for me was seeing the new big-size ingy with power reserve indicator. i tried it on, as i felt it should be pretty good proxy of how the big pilot would likely feel on the wrist (given it's nearly impossible to find them in stock at an AD). however, i have to say after seeing it in person -- it is a real looker in it's own right :wub:

probably the most disappointing part of the whole experience was the person following me around the store, who was the snootiest worker i've ever experienced at an AD. she was constantly spouting a bunch of canned b/s in her most condescending tone, yet couldn't answer some pretty basic questions.

one part of our conversation went something like this:

me (trying on the big ingy): i actually dodn't like how much this iwc strap tapers given the heft of the watch....

her: well, you know all watch bands are like this -- it's the way they are designed....blah blah blah (i can't stand to type any more -- she went on a long discourse about this).

me (i didn't feel like arguing): yeah, i guess you just kind of get used to wider straps after wearing a panerai for a while...

her: which panerai do you have? panerai straps taper down like this as well...

me: i have a 112.

her: oh, the seven day power reserve?

me: no, it's a historic model.

her: oh, well you know those were intended to be worn outside of a wetsuit -- that's why the straps were thicker on those. they aren't intended to be worn next to your skin.....

me: umm, ok. :blink:

anyways, you get the idea.....maybe i'm spoiled by the shreve & tourneau here in sf or had unrealistic expectations for the tourneau in vegas, but figured i'd pass along my experience....

deltatahoe

Hey Delta,

was she at least some sort of eye candy to look at, or was she dumb AND ugly?