When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen has a new 005 dial

Victoria

Finally got out of my home to pay for the PAM 005, my Holy Grail watch since I started collecting reps.

To my joy, Davidsen announced that his 005's all have a new dial. You may recall his OP logo slants correctly, but it's very big. The markers were also too green.

On Thursday, he'll email me photos of the incoming watch. Then I'll post them here so you can see the "improvements".

I AM SO EXCITED! :group:

P.S.: Credit where credit is due. I saw the 005 on another forum, but mostly it was this photo from member b16a2 which made me fall in love with the 005. :wub:

289209-6485.jpg

THANK YOU! ...already have the Bob Vanilla strap waiting. 2 in fact.

Guest carlsbadrolex

AMAZING... a Dealer making the effort to improve upon an already good rep? Maybe some of the other dealers should consider doing this. And maybe some of the over critical customers should take his efforts into consideration before slamming him!

Good work DSN, I already have 4 of your watches maybe its time for another!

Edited by carlsbadrolex

DSN has been busy making new dials and watches it seems. 005, 202A, 201A, 218A, 203A, new 104 ...

And a new 229 AND 228!

Yes, both. :)

Can't wait for the 228, as I already have the 229 on order with Andrew (I can't go back on my word).

I'd love to see pics of that 005 dial when you get it.

Unfortunately, there's a hiccup. I need your (pl.) expertise. How would you rate this dial?

dscf6608zr3.jpg

(I am going to ask for a new crown. It looks wonky)

Hmmmm, nope.

Numbers and indices are too thin, font is too thin and the logo is still too big, IMO.

He needs to use his 111E dial (which appears to be the same as his 040 dial, just with C1 lume and "L Swiss L" instead of "T-Swiss-T") as that has thicker numbers/indices and just add a logo to that dial.

On the up side, DSN appears to be using the "long arrow" logo, which is more collectible in the gen world than the more current logo. ;)

Notice how fat the markers are on the gen and notice the size/spacing of the logo:

2129_2.jpg

I believe this pic is of a G series 005.

Edited by peepshow

Hmmmm, nope.

Numbers and indices are too thin, font is too thin and the logo is still too big, IMO.

Okay, I didn't want to skew the answers, but this is the deal -- his new 005 didn't pass his first inspection. So he suggested the older dial for me.

THIS PHOTO ABOVE SHOWS THE OLDER DIAL, not the new one.

He needs to use his 111E dial (which appears to be the same as his 040 dial, just with C1 lume and "L Swiss L" instead of "T-Swiss-T") as that has thicker numbers/indices and just add a logo to that dial.

PERFECT. I will ask him for that, and see if he can add the logo.

On the up side, DSN appears to be using the "long arrow" logo, which is more collectible in the gen world than the more current logo. ;)

Excellent. Thank you for your reply, Peepshow! :)

REPLY TO EDIT: Oh yes, I know that gen photo well. I also notice a slight over-greeniness, which was always the knock on the Davidsen 005s. I would trade greeniness, for a more accurate-sized logo...

Awww, thats like seeing an ex girlfriend that your still really good friends with.

Hey b16a2! :)

LOL@ the ex-girlfriend reference. That is exactly what seeing a watch you no longer have, must be like for guys.

That was my first ever Pam, sadly it's not with me anymore.

Indeed. I almost bought yours when I saw it for sale. But you were in the EU, and the dollar was not favourable...

Looking forward to seeing the new dial!

Well, we all might have to wait a bit. Nothing in the rep watch hobby is easy or fast. <_<

@CBR: Nice words for Davidsen. May I have your permission to quote that in the reply-email? I won't use your name if you wish. :)

@PaulW: LOL. You know, the 104 was never big on my list.

@Richyman: I love your 005. A true bargain!

Sorry about all the @ replies...I really miss the ratings. They were so convenient to reply with. :(

DSC_1007-2.jpg

Thanks, Peepshow. That is very appreciated -- I just wrote him an email suggesting the 111e, adding the logo, changing the crown, and applying C3 lume. We'll see. :)

Here is a gen photo I just found (that's a Dirk strap, which coincidentally I already have!):

pam005yw1.jpg

Today wasn't just a bad day for poor jsmith11; for me too. I'm not getting a DSN 005 after all. :(

The new dials won't be ready until very late February due to Chinese New Year. I've been offered a substitute instead, but the problem is, that's the only watch without exposition caseback I want, save for the 228/229. The 201a is not to my taste, nor is the 000.

Possibly I'll exchange it for the Ultimate 113. :wounded1:

FOLLOWUP: It's official. I just bought his 113. Sigh. It's not that the 113 is not beautiful -- but it's like going for a Mercedes, and coming out with a Lexus. Sure, it's nice, but it's not what you wanted.

EDIT: Well...I was just informed I got the last Swiss ETA movement with swan neck! He has about 5-6 Chinese H-series with swan neck left. I knew that from RWI, where he announced it, but for a watch with exposition casebacks, what will people do??

Isn't he going to asian only now? I'd hope he gets more than 5 asian H movts. as that is kinda core to his business :)

I see he has the 104 photos up:

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/watchmmx/Pam%20104/

I can't find his 229 and 228 photos. I guess those aren't up yet.

He's on fire lately. I really want to see his 229 dial to see if it's better than the one I have. I'll add that to my ever growing list of DSN parts to order if it is.

Edited by bazonkers

Isn't he going to asian only now? I'd hope he gets more than 5 asian H movts. as that is kinda core to his business :)

Indeed! It's the end of an era, if he can't get more.

It puts me to mind when TWP was cannabilising his 036 to make the last 177h.

I can't find his 229 and 228 photos. I guess those aren't up yet.

No, those are coming later in the year.

It's funny you were looking at this Photobucket page, as I was combing over it just now, trying to come up with an 005 alternative. Too bad I don't like the 201a...

He's on fire lately. I really want to see his 229 dial to see if it's better than the one I have. I'll add that to my ever growing list of DSN parts to order if it is.

I think the lack of swan necks may be why he is turning to the closed casebacks/Automatics.

Indeed! It's the end of an era, if he can't get more.

It puts me to mind when TWP was cannabilising his 036 to make the last 177h.

No, those are coming later in the year.

It's funny you were looking at this Photobucket page, as I was combing over it just now, trying to come up with an 005 alternative. Too bad I don't like the 201a...

I think the lack of swan necks may be why he is turning to the closed casebacks/Automatics.

What don't you like about his 201A? You just don't like Pre-V PAMs? I'm hoping he'll put some effort into some of the dials he has too. I'd maybe get his 055 but the dial is a little too purple than brown. I might be able to live with that but he used straight c3 lume so they are green. His 055 is closed back so that would be a good model for him to fix. His 040 dial could use an update as well since the 2 is shaped wrong.

I also wish he'd spend a week and clean up his photobucket. Check out his 005 bucket:

PAM 005 NEW VERSION

new superlumed c3 dials

NEW UP GRADE IN AUG 07

new up grades in april 07

THE MOST UP GRADED VERSION

Hah. Which one is the latest besides the new one he has coming out? I like the last one. MOST UP GRADED. The new dial will have to top that somehow. :)

His 104 looks pretty good. I emailed about his 229 dial and, true, he doesn't have a pic yet. I've always been luke warm to the GMT models but I might buy his 228 if he gets it mostly right.

Sorry for the rambling post that only slightly has to do with the original topic. :)

Edited by bazonkers

What don't you like about his 201A? You just don't like Pre-V PAMs?

Sad, but true.

I prefer exposition casebacks, and wearing a Panerai worth 20k which will be brand-new looking just looks ridiculous. And since I keep my watches in MINT condition, it's not like I'll be vintaging them.

(Ahem, not to imply the 201a is all that vintage, but you know what I mean)

People like Nanuq and Rolli have a knack for wearing vintage watches. But not I. Having said that, if Davidsen had offered a more realistic tone for the 201a dial, I MIGHT'VE taken it. The markers are just 'aged' too darkly.

I saw Mr. Fishgodeep, a Panerista extraordinaire, raving about his 201a in the DSN area on RWI, so perhaps I'm wrong.

I also wish he'd spend a week and clean up his photobucket. Check out his 005 bucket:

Oh yes, I noticed that too. :(

I'll have a word, in passing, next time.

His 104 looks pretty good. I emailed about his 229 dial and, true, he doesn't have a pic yet. I've always been luke warm to the GMT models but I might buy his 228 if he gets it mostly right.

I'm concerned about this lack of Swiss ETA with swan neck, but then, we've known this was coming for a long time.

Despite not liking closed casebacks, my next two Davidsens are the 005 (God willing...), and the 228.

Sorry for the rambling post that only slightly has to do with the original topic. :)

No, not at all. I'll take a look at that 055 now. As with b16a2, I take my inspiration from others on forums. :)

...His 040 dial could use an update as well since the 2 is shaped wrong...

Well, that depends. There was a B series PAM040 with the 2 shaped like DSN's dial, the problem there is that it should be "T Swiss T" without the dashes. (My avatar is a B series PAM040)

There was apparently a Pre-A, or maybe A series version that was the same watch, though perhaps not numbered as a 040 (unless the pics I've seen are of frankenPAMs).

Here are the pics:

B series:

PAM0402.jpg

Pre-A style:

PAM0403.jpg

The reference section of Paneristi.com only shows a B series production for the 040 of 200 units. Thus my thoughts that the Pre-A is either a franken or was numbered as a different model.

EDIT -- Upon some further research in the reference article here: http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_Pan..._A_Panerai.html

It would appear that some of the PAM040 either were made with or had their dials replaced during servicing with some "T-Swiss-T" dials. Here is a quote from the article:

"Oddball Pre-A and T-SWISS-T Watches.

I have seen several PAM 040 Titanium Luminor Marinas with T-SWISS-T dials installed, probably this was done at the factory during the original production run. However, I have also seen a few PAM 040's that had their T SWISS T dials, or even an L SWISS L dial replaced by a T-SWISS-T dial when at an Officine Panerai Service Center. I have seen the same thing happening to some PAM 004's and PAM 001's from the regular A-series.

As long as this was done by Officine Panerai, I see no problem in this. But we must not forget that these watches are not pre-A. I also learned that for some watches (like the first half of the production run of PAM 040), the Officine Panerai spare part code for a replacement dial could either mean T-SWISS-T or T SWISS T. No distinction is made in the stock list."

Edited by peepshow