When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystals clouding up in the cold

TeeJay

So I was walking for the bus earlier, and it was really cold out. I looked at my watch to check I was on schedule, and saw a wierd cloud-like distortion on the inside of the crystal. At first, I thought it might be something staining the outside, then I thought it might have been some kind of pressure crack (like you get when you fold clear plastic, and it 'whites out') I pulled the cuff of my fleece over the watch and carried on walking for the bus. When I got to the bus stop, I checked the time again to make sure I hadn't missed the bus (according to the schedule) and the distortion was gone. I'm guessing this was temperature related, and probably some kind of condensing of the air inside the case, I've just never seen anything like it on a watch before, and wondered if anyone else had any experiences of it happening. The thing that was most strange, was that it looked nothing like the clouding of getting moisture in the case, but more a cloudy/milky distortion (like folded plastic) :huh:

What watch was this happening to?

I have recently noticed that my 024 Panerai sandwich crystal has started to delaminate - not sure if it is from the cold or what but the affect is like a residue on the inside around the edge - probably from the seperation and seeing the adhesive they use to bond the layers. Sounds like yours went away though?

pam024alellodatewheelcp7.jpg

It was my 127, and indeed, it went away after a few minutes covered by my sleeve, leaving no marks on the inside of the crystal at all (and dried condensation normally takes much longer, and leaves 'rings'/stains on the inside. It was really wierd. I'm guessing it was definitely tempereture related, but it vanished so soon, and as mentioned, didn't look like normal moisture in the case, which was what made me wonder if it was some kind of condensing of the atmosphere present in the case :huh:

I would say you have some moisture in the case, get a small tupperwear box, fill it with silica gell packs take the back off the watrch and lock it away for 24 hours, take it out and seal it up again, making sure you check all seals and lube them. You may get away with just opening the crown but i am sure it is better to get it totaly dry.

Many of my watches have had this occur when they are first delivered, since they sit in -20 to -30 degree C in the mailbox and then go into a warm house, so its a big fog on the inside but it always goes away. Probably wouldn't happen on the real thing, but hey...

I don't think there's any moisture in the case, (as in flooding) as the watch hadn't been exposed to moisture (or even steamy conditions) but, there would be some moisture in the atmosphere inside the case, so maybe that was it. Most strange indeed. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Edited by TeeJay