When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex Crowns

mucrewbtp

Hello, I recently ordered what were supposed to be two genuine 7MM triplock crowns, I was going to put one on a 1665 DRSD and one on a 16610 sub. Problem is one of the crowns is smaller in diameter than the other, I believe it is 6.35 mm but still has the markings of a triplock. Does anybody know what crown this would be? I am planning on having the seller replace it because it is not what I had ordered, but if the smaller crown was used on the 1665 I may just go ahead and use it. I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer, i have been looking all over the internet ang have not been able to identify these.

Thank you,

Mike

There are two version of the triplock. The older 24-702 and the newer and current 24-703. The older 702 uses a smaller case tube and they are not interchangable unless you install the other tube. The only problem is trying to find an old 702 tube. They just dont seem to exist anymore. You'll see lots of old 702 crowns for sale because if you can find a tube for them, but the tubes are $150+ usually. ouch.

I know the 702 crown is skinnier but i thought it was the same 7mm diameter. Pics would help a lot in this case. Need pics of front and back of crown pls.

What L-d says is correct. A 7mm triplock crown may measure 6.9mm, but not 6.3mm. I've received replica crowns from sellers before. Also, some of these sellers will use old numbers when selling a Rolex crown. You need to make it clear that you're only interested in a 24-703-0 crown and the corresponding tube 24-7030-0. Anything else is essentially an 'antique' and you don't need it. Even a 1665 DRSD would be updated with a 24-703 crown and tube assembly these days.

FWIW, I did see a crown list posted by stilty this week showing an 24-704-0 crown- this is used on Daytonas and the 14060M Sub- don't know anything else about it, so stick to the 24-703 assembly- it's been around for over 25 years.

Yeah be carefull. Guys will sell "Lot of 5 rolex triplock crowns" on ebay and when you get it, you find out they are the older 24-702 crowns and you cant use them. Always confirm exactly what you are getting when it comes to buying gen watch parts online. It sounds like one of your crowns is a rep crown.

I just measured a gen triplock with digital calipers 24-703 and its 6.93mm in diameter. Its used so it may not be 100% acurate but its gunna be pretty darn close to that. A noobmariner crown for example is 6.86mm. A cheap CN sub has a crown thats 7.09mm in diameter. A gen tudor sub crown takes the same 24-703 size case tube but the crown has thicker walls making the crown 7.08mm in diameter. I always assumed the tudor triplock was the same as the Rolex but its slightly bigger. The best way to quicky tell is to look at the backside of the crown where the threads are in the outside wall. The wall of the gen crown is VERY VERY thin allowing for the big diameter casetube to screw inside it. If the crown has thicker walls then its not genuine. If you have a look at yours i bet you can see they are different. The smaller replica crown will have a thicker wall compared to the gen. I wish i had some comparison pics on this computer but i dont sorry.

dizz

Here is a link to the auction where I got the crowns, This might help clear things up.

Crown Auction

The walls of the 7MM crown are not extremely thin, but not overly thick either. The crown looks like a real one to me, and the seller seems to sll a lot of rolex parts with good feedback. He is exchanghing the smaller crown that I got with another 7MM. I would assume that if the 703 crown has been in production for a long time that these are 703 crowns. If you look at his auctions he also offers 6.35MM rolex crowns that also have triplock markings, I got one of the 7MM crowns and one of the smaller ones by mistake. The smaller crown does have a VERY thin wall like you mentioned.

-Mike