When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Steelfish (Miyota Movement Alternative)

Daytona4me

I see a lot of "My Asian SFSO broke" and people wanting to know about an alternative movement.

There are quite a few threads scattered about that discuss this. Basically the answer is yes, there are other movements available for your sfso.

First and foremost, try the Miyota 8215 cost around $40. Another option is the ETA 2836-2. This option will cost you a lot more money but it will work. The ETA 2824-2 will not work as the case is different on the Asian movement SFSO than the Swiss version (which has the 2824-2 movement). When swapping out movements dont forget to check your hand sizes.

Here is the Miyota 8215 spec sheet for download. Your adobe acrobat will probably ask to update the Japanese language pack before it will open it up (the words translate to english).

You can find more Miyota movement data here: http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/download/index.html

I just pieced this stuff together today after doing some research, please let me know if I have something wrong so I can make corrections.

spec_6T51_8205_8215_821A.pdf

Edited by Daytona4me

Good info!!

I would for sure get the asian version and send the crystal for double AR. I couldnt justify the extra cost for the movement upgrade and AR coating even though i believe the double AR is absolutely necessary on this watch. Ive never really looked to see what the movement exactly was in the asian versions. Ive had so many asian movement watches and to be honest (on average) they've outlasted my swiss ETA watches lifespans and reliability. Ive switched to buying asian movement watches lately.. my PAM127, my Super sea-dweller, my BCE etc etc.

But i guess when the movement does die, its cheaper to get it replaced than to service it for $150+

Hey D4M can you post this over at RWC as well? ;)

cheers!!

Dizz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I see a lot of "My Asian SFSO broke" and people wanting to know about an alternative movement.

There are quite a few threads scattered about that discuss this. Basically the answer is yes, there are other movements available for your sfso.

First and foremost, try the Miyota 8215 cost around $40. Another option is the ETA 2836-2. This option will cost you a lot more money but it will work. The ETA 2824-2 will not work as the case is different on the Asian movement SFSO than the Swiss version (which has the 2824-2 movement). When swapping out movements dont forget to check your hand sizes.

Here is the Miyota 8215 spec sheet for download. Your adobe acrobat will probably ask to update the Japanese language pack before it will open it up (the words translate to english).

You can find more Miyota movement data here: http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/download/index.html

I just pieced this stuff together today after doing some research, please let me know if I have something wrong so I can make corrections.

Which case size is closer to gen the Swiss using the 2824-2 or the asian? Also, I saw some dealers have a swiss that comes with a 2836-2... which case does this one have?