When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Received 1680 Red Mbw Vintage Sub From Luckyyy

Craytonic

Finally received this watch. Wanted to post since people are always wondering about Luckyyy. This is the second watch I have received from luckyyy. Shipping time was 3 weeks on one and 4 weeks on the other.

Truly a beautiful watch. Unfortunate the end links are hollow, I am assuming they are solid on the genuine?

Also the click bezel is a definite improvement in the modern versions, I find the bi-directional one somewhat strange (tight in some parts of circle and loose in others) but somewhat endearing and a piece of history. It is relatively difficult to make a full 360 degree rotation as it gets very tight at some points. I am hoping it will get better with wear.

The dome is beautiful :) Nice, sharp face. Already have a OEM tropic to install; working on the bezel and pearl. Am trying to get a rivited bracelet now; as I believe they were issued with this watch and are very beautiful - hopefully it will come with solid endlinks. Perhaps will have to get a genuine movement for it? Who knows!

cray:

1) hollow endlinks are correct

2) the bezel will loosen a bit over time, if you want to get smooth feel quickly, take a toothpick and a little WD-40 and right where the top of the endlink meets the bezel there is a small amount of room where you can carefully apply the wd40 and then rotate the bezel. i say carefully, because if you 'spray it on' the solvent in the wd40 may also cause the bezel insert to dis-adhere.

3) the bracelet needs a little work to get it feeling smooth... work in some polishing compound, particularly at each bracelet joint. use a dremel tool to buff the inside edges of the bracelet--softens their edges. be careful NOT to polish or rub down the brushed outer surface of the bracelet.

i also had mine mod'd by one of the local masters -- wanted the dial lumed and crowns shaped a bit as well as installing 2mm lug bars.

enjoy... with very little work it is indistinguishable from a gen.

i also had mine mod'd by one of the local masters -- wanted the dial lumed and crowns shaped a bit as well as installing 2mm lug bars.

Is this the same Watchwatcher who used to say that he couldn't understand why anyone would spend the money to mod these reps...good to see you come around :victory:

cray:

1) hollow endlinks are correct

2) the bezel will loosen a bit over time, if you want to get smooth feel quickly, take a toothpick and a little WD-40 and right where the top of the endlink meets the bezel there is a small amount of room where you can carefully apply the wd40 and then rotate the bezel. i say carefully, because if you 'spray it on' the solvent in the wd40 may also cause the bezel insert to dis-adhere.

3) the bracelet needs a little work to get it feeling smooth... work in some polishing compound, particularly at each bracelet joint. use a dremel tool to buff the inside edges of the bracelet--softens their edges. be careful NOT to polish or rub down the brushed outer surface of the bracelet.

enjoy... with very little work it is indistinguishable from a gen.

Love that avatar!

Thanks for the info. I may try to get some solid endlinks anyways since the hollow ones bug me. The bezel has already loosened from me twirling it! I will try that anyways though.

Need sleep but I will try the bracelet work you suggested when I return monday.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! Can't wait to put the work into this one to make it perfect.

You don't understand the big deal about the dome until you have it on your wrist!

Is this the same Watchwatcher who used to say that he couldn't understand why anyone would spend the money to mod these reps...good to see you come around :victory:

most MBWs don't require any further adjustment, in this case the painted hour markers on the face leave something to be desired when the lights go off. besides that, I'm more than half blind, so without the lume, i am not only unable to see the face, but i cannot see the watch, and frankly can't even see my wrist.

if it were not MBW, I'd attempt the mod myself, but this one could only be trusted in the hands of our resident canadian watchmeister... his charges are always fair and quite modest in comparison to the cost of the watch...

most MBWs don't require any further adjustment, in this case the painted hour markers on the face leave something to be desired when the lights go off. besides that, I'm more than half blind, so without the lume, i am not only unable to see the face, but i cannot see the watch, and frankly can't even see my wrist.

if it were not MBW, I'd attempt the mod myself, but this one could only be trusted in the hands of our resident canadian watchmeister... his charges are always fair and quite modest in comparison to the cost of the watch...

Good call; I prefer to use The Zigmeister for all the work I have done and can't wait for him to return. Hopefully I can have him drop a slower-beat movement in it while he has it taken apart. (collecting pile-o-parts right now).