When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Call to RWGers with Navitimers

andyaudi42

I am certainly not a Breitling expert but AFAIK, functionally the best is the 6 9 12 configuration which comes only in the series speciale 'Fighters' version. Cosmetically the best variation of this watch is the earlier 21,000 'Old Asian' movement because it has a better alignment of the bezel / dial slide-rule scales. Additionally, this 'Older Asian' version can be swapped for a ETA movement without any problem as the hand sizes match, unlike the later 28,800 Asian movement. The gen Fighters Navi is brushed while the rep is polished but there are so many variations of Navitimer that I wouldn't be concerned that anyone outside of the rep world has ever seen a gen Fighters or would spot the difference.

The 3 6 9 configurations are based on a modified Asian 7750 which may be problematic in itself, although not as bad as a secs at 6 modification, but this modification does result in a sunken datewheel and slightly off-position date window. This means that you cannot easily swap to the Swiss 7753 movement, which the gen uses, unless you also get a gen dial to match. However the gen 3 6 9 looks best IMO.

I have a Navitimer and it is the Fighters 6 9 12 with a Swiss movement. It looks and feels like an older Navitimer.

I'll soon be writing a guide to Navitimers and Ill explain all of this there. But for now, the "Fighters" or "Series Speciale" is the least accurate of all Navis. Contrary to popular belief its is not just the brushed case that differentiates it from the gen. The case shape is different, the bezel is different, and the crystal is completely wrong. The best Navitimer rep available is actually the Two Tone 6-9-12 version. It is reasonably close to the "Old Navitimer", and has now glaring flaws. Date window aside, I would rank the 3-6-9 version as a close second, and the Fighters edition a distant third.