When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looks like water came in ...

lazarini

Great Laz just great :huh:

i was a smart a.. and took a bath with my 1665 today ... all looked to be fine but when latter i was putting some colthes to dry on my balcony outside i noticed fog beginning to form under the plexi :(

this really made my Saturday :bangin:

All comments advice welcome !

Regards laz

a cozy bubble bath?? lol.....

i would recommend unscrewing the crown and letting it sit in heat (sun) for a couple mins/hours to rid of the moisture.

how you doing S btw?....... havent spoken to you in a while ;)

cc

dang.... she is a beauty. again i recommend what i mentioned at the least. if it's still giving you problems, i consider having the movement serviced and while at it, have it modded if you've already planned to.....

this is a minor problem which can be fixed in a flash.. ;)

If water did get in, it probably came in by the crown and stem. If this did happen, it will go inside the movement and destroy the movement very quickly. If the watch was running fine, but now doesn't run, I would suggest you get it opened up, and have the movement taken apart as quick as you can, or it will be destroyed...

No more bubble baths for you.

RG

If water did get in, it probably came in by the crown and stem. If this did happen, it will go inside the movement and destroy the movement very quickly. If the watch was running fine, but now doesn't run, I would suggest you get it opened up, and have the movement taken apart as quick as you can, or it will be destroyed...

No more bubble baths for you.

RG

Hi Zigg

Yea great , i have no tools to open to and no trusty watchmaker where i live i usualy send this abroad ... so if i send this monday can it be to latte ?

regards laz

@ chinkie

Em oka ...

btw this watch is fully modded with gen christal gen tube crown insert springbars gen endlinks the full shebang ...

thats why even more painfull ...

regards laz

Yikes, I feel your pain. Exact same thing happened to my 5517 last weekend , though it was from the sea and not a bath. Thing is I'd swam with mine loads of time before and this time the dome just missted up on me. Been trying to dry it out all week, and The Zigmeisters comment have really concerned me now. Guess you should get your checked over ASAP. Not been a lucky week for my reps

Good luck Laz

Hi Zigg

Yea great , i have no tools to open to and no trusty watchmaker where i live i usualy send this abroad ... so if i send this monday can it be to latte ?

regards laz

If it's not salt water inside the watch, you should be ok for a little while, salt water will totally destroy the movement in a couple of days. Sorry to hear you don't have anyone locally that can help you, I think I would send it out to your watchsmith on monday to get it looked at.

RG

Hi Zigg

regards laz

Laz, sorry to hear this :(

The little good news is that you actually might have an opening tool which you didn't know you had... Some duc/gaffer tape folded into a ball shape will give enough grip to turn open the case back. Most hardware stores sell precision screw drivers (1 mm, 1.2 mm) which you need to screw out the little movement holders and release the stem.

There have been plenty of useful guides posted here that will help you get the movement out.

Good luck!

In the mean time open the crown and place it in a ziploc bag or small tupperwear container with a silica gel pack, you know the little envelopes that you get packaged with beef jerky and electical goods to keep them dry, this will dry out the air inside hopefully, it would be better if you could get the back off but it will help with the drying over all.

@ chinkie

Em oka ...

btw this watch is fully modded with gen christal gen tube crown insert springbars gen endlinks the full shebang ...

thats why even more painfull ...

regards laz

wow!!! not to insult you, but if you could afford to mod this watch, you should also have it waterproofed!!! That don't make sense!!! I'm sorry to say this!

and then you take it for a shower/bath whatever? WOW!

Laz,

sad to hear but as you mentioned this can happen after all we wear REPS and not the 6K euro gens.

Hot water or a sauna enviroment will cause the material to get bigger and will also cause space between the parts since not all the materials "grow" the same .

To be honest a never took a swim or shower with one of my reps , whilst TTK said that the NOOB is waterproof.

Carpe Diem,

Cats

plexi (plastic) crystals will absorb water over time. It isnt like glass/sapphire where it is virtually water resistent.

I'm going to have to disagree on this. Plexiglas crystals don't 'absorb' water in any way. But in my experience, Plexiglas crystals lose their seal to the case much more frequently, and with greater ease, than a glass or sapphire crystal. Based on the fact that this piece was modded with a genuine crystal, I'd look there for the leak (it may not have been a perfect fit), and then the case tube (doubt the crown leaked, but the case tube may not have been sealed very well to the case).

SR

I'm going to have to disagree on this. Plexiglas crystals don't 'absorb' water in any way. But in my experience, Plexiglas crystals lose their seal to the case much more frequently, and with greater ease, than a glass or sapphire crystal. Based on the fact that this piece was modded with a genuine crystal, I'd look there for the leak (it may not have been a perfect fit), and then the case tube (doubt the crown leaked, but the case tube may not have been sealed very well to the case).

SR

I agree. Most aircraft windows (especially small helicopters and airplanes) have plexi windows, and it doesnt' absorb water.

The issue is the fact that plexi ages and gets brittle and cracks with time, as well as expands and contracts with heat and cold. All of these issues can affect the seal between the crystal and the case. If you consider that the crystal just sits on the metal of the case, immersed in hot water, good chance that the plexi is going to expand quicker that the metal, it doesn't take much of a gap to get moisture in the case.

RG

SR

sorry, now that i read my post again I realise the misleading information. You are right - it doesn't actually ABSORB water. But it is more prone to leaking. Thank you for clarifying it. =)