When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

eBay and Paypal dispute

marrickvilleboy

Hi guys.

Ok I got a situation. I have sold 2 genuine TAGs (one ladies and one gents) on ebay to two different buyers. However, one has told me that she recieved a gents watch instead of a ladies watch. So i'm presuming i've mixed up the addresses. So i contact the other buyer and told him about a possible mix up, he has yet to recieve the package so i'm waiting for an update from him.

Yesterday, this female buyer files a dispute on Paypal saying "item recieved not as described". On top of that, she insist that its Fake. I can assure you I don't sell fake watches so i'm finding this a little suspicious - wrong watch and now not genuine TAG. Of course, Paypal deducts the amount from my paypal account and now i'm thinking about my own protection.

As of currently, she wants to return the watch and ask for a refund, I'm happy to give the refund if she wants but i'm worried that she's going to mail me a tv remote control instead of a watch - and try to scam me (one guy did, ask for refund and then sends me back the strap of the watch only!)

Question is, what can i do to protect myself from letting such above example from happening? I really don't want to be down a watch and the money.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MB,

Firstly, you can't refund any money, as PP have "grabbed" it.

Tell the 1st buyer that.

Second, until you get a response from the other buyer, you don't really know where you stand...so wait.

(I presume PP got the $$ for the other sale as well)

As much as it is going to become painful, you really are faced with little alternative now, but to go through all the processes, PP and ebay put up.

Maybe find out where the 1st buyer is, and see if you can get someeone local to view the watch for you?

Feel your pain mate...PP sucks!

Keep us up dated, some of us do have a bit of history with PP and ebay.

Offshore

Thanks for the relpy Offshore,

Well paypal have already taken the money out of the account, i'm still waiting to hear from the other buyer, what a pain! but I guess I can only blame myself for mixing the watches up (I remembered double checking...strange). Both buyers located in Victoria, all 100% feedback. Hopefully she sends me the watch so i can get it all sorted out.

thanks again.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I will be as brief as possible, but this is a matter I am VERY passionate about... Chances are there isnt much that you can do. I have nearly $200k go through my business Paypal account every month, and we have similar situations arise at least 5 times per month. Paypal will always find in favor of the buyer. I have never had a television remote sent back, but I had a $1500 guitar sent back in pieces (not taken apart... smashed).

As was suggested above, you will need to go through all of the processes. Document everything, be as polite and understanding as you can physically stand without vomiting and hope for the best.

BUT be aware of this, the buyer may also file a dispute with their credit card company. MOST credit card companies DO NOT require proof that the item was returned. If the credit card company authorizes the reversal, Paypal WILL take the money from you. Even if they find in your favor now and release the funds... They can come back months later and take it again.

I will be as brief as possible, but this is a matter I am VERY passionate about... Chances are there isnt much that you can do. I have nearly $200k go through my business Paypal account every month, and we have similar situations arise at least 5 times per month. Paypal will always find in favor of the buyer. I have never had a television remote sent back, but I had a $1500 guitar sent back in pieces (not taken apart... smashed).

As was suggested above, you will need to go through all of the processes. Document everything, be as polite and understanding as you can physically stand without vomiting and hope for the best.

BUT be aware of this, the buyer may also file a dispute with their credit card company. MOST credit card companies DO NOT require proof that the item was returned. If the credit card company authorizes the reversal, Paypal WILL take the money from you. Even if they find in your favor now and release the funds... They can come back months later and take it again.

wow....thats scary....thanks for the info. I may have to stop offering paypal as a payment method. Too much at stake.

Yes, it's very scary

I don't offer PayPal as a payment option on anything over $300.

I've been on e-bay for ten years.

PayPal does absolutely nothing to protect the seller in any situation and it will only be getting worse.

If you sell something via PayPal, you can be charged back out to 180 days with no reason given that is specific to your transaction. If you terminate your account, PayPal will still have the right to go after you for an indefinite time period and will turn you over to an aggressive collection agency. This is because your buyer can cause a charge back which PayPal will not bother to dispute.

Carl

Guest carlsbadrolex

AND WAIT... THERES MORE! When the new Ebay feedback policies are rolled out next month BUYERS will have the ability to leave negative feedback for sellers BUT SELLERS can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers! Isnt it wonderful??? Sellers pay all of the fees and Buyers get all the protection!

I have known a similar scenario

Buyer makes dispute

Sends back item

Only thing sent back is a registered letter saying 'F**K YOU'

PayPal accepts their proof of posting !!!!!!

Dont hold your breath

That's absolutely disgusting. I don't know how people can do such things and be able to sleep at night... it makes my blood boil. Unbelievable...

The best tip I ever picked up on this board about selling items online and using Paypal. Never ever leave an amount of more then 50$ on you Paypal account. After you have receive funds from a buyer always immediately transfer the funds to you back account.

I don't think that works very well. my account was $0 when they filed the dispute. Now i'm -$300

I finally realized that ebay is such a POS for sellers. I think cash and bank deposit will be the only way now.

Is there any possibility that you may have sent out a rep by mistake? After all, you are a member of a 'fake' watch website (this one), so you obviously own rep watches.

If you can provide both the buyer & Paypal with a reliable bill of sale or store receipt that demonstrates unequivocally that you at least owned genuine watches of the same models that you sold, it will make your case a little stronger. On the other hand, if you do not have any way to prove that you ever owned the gens, it will make the woman's complaint (that she received a fake watch) alot more credible in Paypal's eyes.

If you are sure you sent both buyers gen watches, you might offer to pay for an AD in the buyer's area to appraise the watch she received. I cannot see how Paypal could argue with that since you are covering the costs of the appraisal. It might also be a good idea for you to contact & set up the appraisal appointment with the AD yourself. That way the buyer cannot forge paperwork or have a friend pretend to be an AD or something like that.

I have known a similar scenario

Buyer makes dispute

Sends back item

Only thing sent back is a registered letter saying 'F**K YOU'

PayPal accepts their proof of posting !!!!!!

Dont hold your breath

lol that is funny as [censored]

of course not for the seller, but thinkin about the picture, its [censored]en hilarious!

I don't think that works very well. my account was $0 when they filed the dispute. Now i'm -$300

I finally realized that ebay is such a POS for sellers. I think cash and bank deposit will be the only way now.

then dont worry about it. they cant just take money out of your bank account. worst case scenario, you wont be able to use your paypal account again. just make a new one under your (imaginary) wifes or (imaginary) sons name

quote =

Ok I got a situation. I have sold 2 genuine TAGs (one ladies and one gents) on ebay to two different buyers. However, one has told me that she recieved a gents watch instead of a ladies watch. So i'm presuming i've mixed up the addresses. So i contact the other buyer and told him about a possible mix up, he has yet to recieve the package so i'm waiting for an update from him.

Yesterday, this female buyer files a dispute on Paypal saying "item recieved not as described". On top of that, she insist that its Fake. I can assure you I don't sell fake watches so i'm finding this a little suspicious - wrong watch and now not genuine TAG. Of course, Paypal deducts the amount from my paypal account and now i'm thinking about my own protection.

As of currently, she wants to return the watch and ask for a refund, I'm happy to give the refund if she wants but i'm worried that she's going to mail me a tv remote control instead of a watch - and try to scam me (one guy did, ask for refund and then sends me back the strap of the watch only!)

Question is, what can i do to protect myself from letting such above example from happening? I really don't want to be down a watch and the money.

/quote

Pay Pal. The biggest bank robber since Willie Sutton. :p

Your story reminds me of my trouble with watchlover david in 2001 and 2002...

I bought a couple watches and paid by pay pal...everything went OK, watches showed up in a week or two.

Bought some more stuff for friends, gifts etc and paid part of it by pay pal from a pp account and part by pp from a credit card.

WLD went silent and sent nothing.

A dispute was filed with pay pal in 27 days.

WLD's pay pal account was closed because of the complaint.

WLD cried like a stuck pig but would not send the items I ordered and paid for.

Pay pal returned $12 a few weeks later after their "investigation" ($12 out of a few $k!) claiming they had done their job and considered the case closed as they recovered all that was in the WLD account.

WLD sent a few watches trying to get me to drop the complaint...then he seized up again.

In the meantime, I filed a claim with the credit card company. They returned the full amount charged on the cc. (the cc person had quite a few words of warning about pay pal even back then)

Pay pal went ballistic! They threatened with all kinds of actions. They did nothing.

WLD was still crying long and loud about his closed pp account...but no more watches.

Finally, I threatened to sic the Internet Fraud Division on WLD. (I obtained his name, address etc through a friend of a friend)

WLD accused me of being an "International Internet Thief" etc, etc but he finally coughed up the correct number of watches...although some were worthless DOA junk.

That was my last WLD deal...and last pay pal deal.

It looks like WLD showed up on TRC a year or so back and skinned a few more "clients" then dropped under the radar.

I posted my WLD story on TRC in 2002 but took it down because as far as I was concerned, WLD was gone and forgotten.

My pay pal fiasco will not be forgotten...until they are gone for good too.

Good luck!

@ Jimmythree am I reading this right?

You had his paypal account closed after just 27 days, you then went on to get a full reimbursement from your credit card provider and yet you still chased and received the watches?

@ Marrickvilleboy find out where she lives and if it is not too far from me I will go and check it out for you.

Ken

Really sorry to hear about your Horror Paypal stories guys, its like they almost have a monopoly, you get basically raped from both sides. First Ebay fees, then paypal fees.

Because paypal is so populair you're like limited if you don't use or have it, and then there ppl who abuse the system and pp don't do crap!

Google came up with GoogleCheckout tho, you guys should check it out. Stop using paypal all-to-gether, Googlecheckout seems to favor the Seller side as well as the buyer.

Long time ago I heard that Google was going to make an auction site, but I think it envolves so much money that is ain't a pretty task.

I remember the old-days when ebay was still in it's child-shoes! Now they are like Microsoft -plaque- (nvm that... I using apple btw ;)

Man, just hope for the best. Unfortunately, you are not protected from dishonest buyers. Were these 2 watches of equal value?

Hi guys.

thanks for the support guys...really appreciate it.

Do paypal have the authority to take money out of your bank account? I always thought that was not within their rights. Does anyone know exactly?

I have yet to hear back from the other buyer, who really should have recieved it by not. Will keep you guys updated with this situation.

yes ,. they do have the right to take money out of ur account.

Just like the credit card companies do when u sign up with them.

But its only with the nominated account that u have asign them with.

Thats why I have a small ( not my major bank account)account in case if I ever

need to cancel my credit cards with all those automatically monthly deducted

bill payments etc. I can just simply close the bank account.

Yes, certainly my understanding too, David, at least here in Oz!

I keep a savings account, with Visa debit , as my Paypal and ebay attached account.

Monitor it to have +/- $20 in it, and top it up from my main account as I need to fund either ebay or PP.

When I receive funds, I immediately remove them from PP, and once they hit that account, then transfer back to my primary,

A bit of messing around, but the b******ds are not getting my hard earned!

Offshore

quote =

Jimmythree am I reading this right?

You had his paypal account closed after just 27 days, you then went on to get a full reimbursement from your credit card provider and yet you still chased and received the watches?

/quote

KB

If you do not file a complaint with pp before their stated time limit, you are out of luck.

Rule #1...If you feel like you are going to get screwed...you are usually right.

Rule # 2...If you wait until you know for sure you have been screwed...it is too late.

Remember this...WLD had gone silent with over $4K of MY MONEY and he started getting a lot of bad reviews about this time.

There was less than $1000 charged on the credit card...that is what I got refunded. The rest came from a pp account.

WLD sent almost a dozen DOA/cheap junk watches worth maybe a total of $300 along with a few runners like I ordered. He sent the correct number of watches so he could try to get his pp account reopened...he DID NOT send all the correct, running watches that were ordered...and paid for in advance.

I lost between $1k and $2K counting the refund. I gave the junk watches away at the flea market.

Btw...this was not my first rodeo with a low rent crook. My first was in 1965.

I have a collector for local crooks. (when he's not fishing in Marathon FL or in Italy chasing women)

WLD was a looong distance crook and I did not want to give him much of a head start.

I have some pretty good stories but I can not tell them on a public message board.