When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 5513 questions

gioarmani

Normally, I try to share what little I know with others who are trying to acquire the same, but now I need to ask some questions of the experts. I have zero experience with modding vintage pieces, but this is the only one that strikes my fancy:

6b5da978b51d429e62a2d2686fa65e9bima.jpg

Having no experience with this sort, where would one buy an MBW version of the 5512, or is MBW even worth it? Is the one pictured good enough to work on?

Also, what mods would make this a bit more believable than "straight-from-the-box" (besides the ubiquitous CGs & insert)? Does a T-17/T-19 crystal really make all that much of a difference & why?

I'd also like to throw a folded-steel 9315 bracelet on it, but I'm unsure if an older 9315 was standard on an early 70's 5512. In regards to the older, folded style bracelets, were there any gens that came with clasps similar to that below, or were they all Oyster flip-locks?

f667_12.jpg

Please feel free to post any pics of your 5512s for reference, as well. Thanks again.

Edited by gioarmani

Hold out till you can find a MBW 5512. Most of the nodate 5513s have yellow text on the dial. I like a nodate with white text so I converted my 5517 to a 5513 (remove the T, removed the fixed bars and changed the hands). It's good enough for me but the lugholes are a little larger than they should be but gen springbars work great. I'll bet that Sub pictured above from Trusty is one of the one that has a 27.5mm dial. The 5517 cases accept a 26mm and a T19 fits perfectly.

S6301020.jpg

S6300966.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Gio, the 5512 has a very slender case compared to the 5513 & has the COSC certification on the dial. Judging from Trusty's pic, it should be of the 5513. If interested in the 5512, the Silix Asian version has an accurate slim case. The bezel is not accurate to the watch but it's still a very nice piece for the price.

The gen Tropic 19 is far better than the rep crystals in terms of thickness and clarity in my experience & a very worthwhile upgrade. Gen crystals are stunning on the vintages rollies. B) I haven't compared the gen to the Clark version.

With regard to bracelet and clasp, I've seen just about every combination out there on gens. These bracelets wear & tear and are replaced over time. I have a gen folded bracelet and never use it. :) The MBW oyster hollow mid-links are quite good if you decide to go that route.

Added: Just saw the DH spotted the 5513 dial. :p

My mistake on the 5512/5513 difference--thanks for the catch!

I think I like the 5513 dial better though, so I'll try to change the title of the thread.

As I'm not that into the vintages (albeit, "yet"), I'm reluctant to shell out too much at first to mod a piece I might not keep more than a few weeks. But the one from Andrew I think I like; wouldn;t mind taking a shot at it.

Are there any serious/glaring flaws on the model I pictured at top?

the dial on the one you posted is actually a 5513 dial; the 5512 has the "officially certified chronometer" text on the dial under the depth rating (see JoJo35's pic for the 5512 dial)....

deltatahoe

Thanks Delta.

I was about to ask about that.

So, 5513 can have meters first or feets first like mine, right ?

post-175-1202777530_thumb.jpg

The original 5512, late 50's, only had the two lines of dial print below, but the printing was gilt. When the 5513 came out in the early 60's (gilt printng, also) Rolex added the additional two lines of print to the 5512- Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified, to denote the chronometer rated movement (1560 or 1570), Somewhere around the middle 60's the dial print changed from gold to white. 5513's had the meters first dials up until around say 1970, after that the feet first were common.

The 5513 pictured above came from Paul a year and a half ago. At the time it cost $139 w/ a Swiss eta movt. I recently transplanted a standard 5513 dial (26mm- a 'redial' for $150) into it. I also changed out the pearl for an acrylic one- popped right in, trimmed the cg's and waterproofed it- i.e. basically greased the seals w/ silicone. So I still have less than an MBW in it.

If you want to spend the money, an MBW is a good way to go, but I believe these less expensive watches from Andrew, Paul and Silix also can be fun- and great to practice on- if you screw em up, so be it.