When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beware of Latest Frequent Scam in Ebay Watch Section

Watchmeister

This may be old news for folks but I thought I would recount my own recent experience as a warning. I was the winner of a PAM at a very reasonable price from a low count ebay member. Needless to say it was the only item he was selling. The person claimed to take paypal. However once I won the seller informed me that the watch had already been deposited with a shipping company which provided escrow service (i.e. you pay the shipping company and than inspect it before the shipping company releases the cash to the seller) so there would be no problem. What amazed me is that the seller created his own virtual shipping company within a couple of days of the auction ending. The Company website (in this case Hayward-Freight Inc.) reads as if it is a U.S. company complete with U.S. physical address (in this case it was in Florida and didn't exist). and demanding payment via Western Union (yeah, too funny I know). In truth there are 10 different reasons why alarm bells should go off but it is amazing how technology facillitates this enterprise. Needless to say I never sent the money. But I do have to give big thanks to an unnamed veteran member who was able to instantly tell me who and where the host for the shipping website was and when the site had been created. He was even able to check with the Interstate Commerce department and establish that the shipping company didn't exist.

I spoke with Ebay and found out it is an increasingly common occurence. I believe the term from the Ebay operator was "flavor of the month".

All the best,

Kruz

But I do have to give big thanks to an unnamed veteran member who was able to instantly tell me who and where the host for the shipping website was and when the site had been created. He was even able to check with the Interstate Commerce department and establish that the shipping company didn't exist.

He is quite the miner of information, eh...

Thanks for the heads up Kruz...

Double T

My god, it's endless!

They always find a way to rip honest people off.

If I could catch one of these bastards and speak between four eyes...

Well, no, I could kill him, not a good option.

Thanks for letting us know Kruzer.

Cheers

Stephane

The can be killed. Just be sure it is done near the end of your life expectancy to avoid undo jail time. I'm waiting for the day I start turning yellow from liver cancer. That will teach them to try to sell me a bogus watch.

Kruz luckely you came out of this deal without any damage.

To be honest i buy a lot via Ebay and up untill know i didn't get ripped off.

But one thing i'm always keen on is changing conditions after de deal is closed.

Carpe Diem

Cats