When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kill the Lights! For your eyes only topic on lume

Timepiece

aristo_me262l_lume.gif

Created: 12/02/2008

Edited: 16/02/2008 (added PO aligned hands pic)

FIRST: PLEASE DON'T PM OR E-MAIL ME TO ASK ME HELP TO FIND OR RECOMMEND LUME FOR YOU. I ONLY INVESTIGATED THE SUBJECT FOR MY OWN PURPOSES AND INTEREST! Don't hesitate to reply this thread and give suggestions. There are lots of knowledgeable people in the forums who can (and want to) help.

I am not an expert on the matter and have no connections to any brands or dealers that may appear in the watermarks of the pictures I used.

I gathered all information below on the net.

Marathon_SAR_lume.jpg

I still remember when I was a boy and got my first small

Edited by Timepiece

I will say that a DSN with C3 superluminova not only looks great, but I can say that I can easily view my watch when I wake up in the morning (7a). This applies to the entire dial and the hands. Most of the good Pan reps coming out now have hands that can be seen in the morning. *Sidenote*The last light my watch sees (due to my profession) is around 6p.

Just some food for thought in refrence to the SL being superior to the Tritium.

Night use and especially when diving, SA / Superluminova is the clear winner for these reasons. Nobody who goes night diving or on night operations does so without a flashlight. A quick, several second, placement of the flashlight on the watch crystal will fully charge a Superluminova dial while having little or no effect on the Tritium dial because of the type of tritium sensitive phosphor used. This quick charge of the SA dial will make the watch with a good quality SA dial outglow the tritium dial for quite some time. Also research done indicates that there is no age limit on the SA vs 10 years or so for the Tritium.

This would all depend on intended use. For example if you are going rec. diving or out at night for recreational reasons a 5 second blast of a flashlight on a watch would not be that big of an issue. On the other hand in any military type of role that 5 second blast which could probably be seen for miles, line of sight permitting, that 5 second blast is enough to give away your position. Night operations are handled quite differently, usually red light filters are used on flashlights, just the same most breifing areas, and the inside of transport planes/helicopters are also lit via red lights to maintain your adaptive nightvision, also a red light filter will provide you enough light to see what you are doing without it being spotted from a distance. Blasting a 100+ lumen white light would be enough to screw up your adaptive nightvision for a few min.

Finally if tritium were the superior technology I would think you would find it on more of the high end and other watches. Are Rolex, Omega, Breitling, GP, Blancpain, Chopard, Seiko / Grand Seiko, etc., etc.. really that far off base? I don't think so.

There again it goes back to different issues. Tritium tubes are not the most appealing thing to look at, not to mention the very design of the watch would have to be designed around the tubes from the begining. Someone goes to buy a tritium tube watch they know exactly what they are getting a dial with a bunch of tubes around it. Lets say Rolex decided to use it on their sub and Omega decided to use it on the Planet Ocean, other than the wording on the dial both would look nearly identical. Also you have to be honest, while all of the big player in watches market their watches to be hardened time keeping tools, and they very well may be, how many of them are worn by the people who could really put their dependability to the test? You will find more Timex and Casio's being used under harsh conditions than any Rolex, Omega, or any other high dollar watch.

Again not trying to insult a very good and informative post just adding another angle to it. I think both tritium and SL have their respective place for telling time at night, such is too that they both could be considered superior to the other under different conditions.

Nice write up. There is always a lot of confusion about this.

One thing - Thanks for using my picture of the Breitling and key chain but for accuracy - the Breitling has just a standard lume and it is the key chain dangle that has the Tritium tube in it (Pink).

Usil

Just some food for thought in refrence to the SL being superior to the Tritium.

This would all depend on intended use.

Again not trying to insult a very good and informative post just adding another angle to it. I think both tritium and SL have their respective place for telling time at night, such is too that they both could be considered superior to the other under different conditions.

Thanks jdkno for this informative reply and the other angle on the intended use of different types of lume!!

Seems that the Military came a long way from hazardous phosphor/radium to tritium tubes that does not give away their most precious resources... ;)

Edited by Timepiece

Hey there W!

Damn fine writeup my friend! Well... it's the glow that led me to Panerai. (and you who showed me the way into reps)

Here's my glowing pair.... DSN 183 and the 111H by Navigater.

111183lume.jpg

See ya saturday. G is really looking forward to it as well

Alex

Hey there W!

Damn fine writeup my friend! Well... it's the glow that led me to Panerai. (and you who showed me the way into reps)

111183lume.jpg

Alex

That is a nice compare, but starnge that it not glows as may work...

But as dicussed yesterday i will bring you 183 to the same glow in the dark

Regards Navi

Hey there W!

Alex

THANX Ravage! ...The more souls in RWG, the more fun and topics right!

Your DSN 183 with chocolate TWB strap will probably lead to a 'twin' for me somewhere soon :lol:

CU !!

Great writeup and detailed information. I can't imagine the hours you spent researching and documenting this, thanks for the contribution.

RG

Some of my favorites:

4a.jpg

This one is my favorite. One question for you guys, specially for The Zigmeister:

I bought this watch, as I like the yellow accent thinkging it would lume like the cousteau above, but it does notl. Not even the yellow minute hand, but the hour hand does glow. (I don't understand why would they make one of the hand glow and not the other... what's the point). it does lume at the bottom of those stick markers and all the chrono hands. Any way, my question is, if it is possible to apply the lume to this one so the yellow accent and the minute hand would glow as well. other than that I love this watch. it would be great, the best of both worlds if this can be done.

I'm hoping some of you guys can have answer to this.

IWC-371918-SS-02.jpg