When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Orlando Holiday

hyster

Hi guys,

Planning a holiday in Orlando, September/October this year.

Just wondered if anyone had some local knowledge and could advise of things to do and see.

Obviously I will be doing the usual Disney/Warner Bros. stuff but do you know of any gems I would otherwise miss?

I'm going with my wife and my daughter (10& 17) for 3weeks and staying in a villa in Kissimmee.

Probably the last holiday we will have all together for a few years so I want to make it a good one.

Thought about a trip to the Everglades and maybe a trip down to Miami.

Any advice would be warmly received.

Hyster.

Hi guys,

Planning a holiday in Orlando, September/October this year.

Just wondered if anyone had some local knowledge and could advise of things to do and see.

Obviously I will be doing the usual Disney/Warner Bros. stuff but do you know of any gems I would otherwise miss?

I'm going with my wife and my daughter (10& 17) for 3weeks and staying in a villa in Kissimmee.

Probably the last holiday we will have all together for a few years so I want to make it a good one.

Thought about a trip to the Everglades and maybe a trip down to Miami.

Any advice would be warmly received.

Hyster.

Hyster! Bring a lot of cash and several empty suitcases......Orlando is the land of OUTLET MALLS!!!

If you're going to Miami, you might as well enjoy the scenery...take Highway 528 and drive west to Merrit Island/Cape Canaveral, then take the coastal road 1a going South to see the coast and all the beaches along the way.....make sure you have plenty of time to do these so that you could make frequent stops and enjoy the little beach towns along the way! Take this road all the way to Miami Beach,.....then you're in Miami!!! Have fun! I'll update you when I get back from Miami (I'll be there Feb. 23-24). But Miami is always nice and fun! Bring a lot of SUNTAN lotion, too, specially your girls!!! Watch your 17 yo daughter...those Latino guys on the beach are deadly :lol: ....worst than Jelly Fish! ;):)

And for you....you will enjoy these views:

Cheers for that Hike. :D

You know I would be all over this thread, Hyster, because I've been an embarrassing amount of times to Disney World (double digits...).

Sadly, haven't been since the year 2000! Things have changed. Orlando used to be a DUMP. They had all of one club when I was growing up (I used to be big into clubbing). I've been told it's pretty decent now.

But if it's Miami tips you want, pull up a chair. Me, Rxus, Jkpadget, Jfreeman and others will regale you with them. :tu:

"Home Sweet Home"

miamibeachrushhourgo5.jpg

Look how many members are in the Florida part of the RWG map! http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?autocom=gmap

I would highly recommend the Everglades, riding the swamp boats is fantastic and there really is some beautiful scenery and wildlife to be seen. I would also recommend check to see if there are any space shuttle launches during that time frame. You can ride over to Cape Canaveral (about 45 minutes) and check out the launch and the museum while you're there.

Personally I would say that Miami isn't worth the drive for a family trip, it might be great to live there and all but it's not especially interesting for the kids as a holiday spot, and the highway driving tends to bore the kids. What I mean is, when you've already got a million things to do on your doorstep, flogging off hundreds of miles may not thrill all that much IMHO.

I've visited Orlando many times - there is more than enough to keep you busy there, don't forget to factor in some sunshine days lounging by the pool.

As has been mentioned, the outlet shopping is great - wife and kids will love the cheap brand name clothes. [May be a negative for the guy paying the credit card bill !!]. You'll spend more time shopping than you expected :lol:

Cape Canaveral (also mentioned above) is interesting and not too far away. But then you can check out some beaches at the same time, or have a short beach hotel stay.

Have a good one :D

[EDITED for double-negative!]

Personally I wouldn't say that Miami isn't worth the drive for a family trip, it might be great to live there and all but it's not especially interesting for the kids as a holiday spot, and the highway driving tends to bore the kids. What I mean is, when you've already got a million things to do on your doorstep, flogging off hundreds of miles may not thrill all that much IMHO.

I agree with that. If it's the first time, that is.

Miami and its sister city, Miami Beach, are two places which 16-and-overs appreciate SO MUCH more. We have SeaWorld, Vizcaya, Parrot Jungle, MetroZoo, you can go on the Miami Duck tour (an amphibious boat, which takes you from land to ocean!), and a host of other kiddie-related sites.

(You couldn't get me to go back to the Everglades if you paid me in Panerais. Marjory Stoneman Douglas, the lady who "saved" the Glades, must've been on crack)

But really, Miami is a place to go if you like clubbing, living large, fine dining, good entertainment, etc.

Orlando, more specifically Disney World, gives you EVERYTHING you could possible want for kids. One can go there 10x and you'd still wouldn't fill your boots. The amount of Brits there is actually embarrassing -- all wearing their Man Ure or Chelscum shirts. My father calls it Orlandoshire...

BTW, Kissimmee is dismal.

It's one long stretch of highway full of strip malls, tourist-chain restaurants like Shoney's, Applebee's & the Pancake House, and amazing shops like Albertson's. :yuk:

PLEASE do not judge Florida based on Kissimmee. It's like judging England based on Wythenshawe...

Lastly, you cannot IMAGINE how much I love NASA, and the space programme. I'm a certified fanatic for them. But you know what? Cape Canaveral is rather boring. What can I say? Didn't care for it.

P.S.:

I'm going with my wife and my daughter (10& 17)

Wait, what? Your wife is 10 and your daughter is 17?? That doesn't make sense even if it's the other way around. :o:lol:

Wait, what? Your wife is 10 and your daughter is 17?? That doesn't make sense even if it's the other way around. :o:lol:

:lol:

I'm afraid I was, "Sufficiently refreshed" as I typed that last night.

It should have read, daughters, aged 17 and 10years.

17! , still cant believe it, I'm only bloody 36 too. :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for all the advice and tips guys.

:lol:

I'm afraid I was, "Sufficiently refreshed" as I typed that last night.

It should have read, daughters, aged 17 and 10years.

17! , still cant believe it, I'm only bloody 36 too. :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for all the advice and tips guys.

Wow, you started early.....congratulations! You could be a Grandpa at 41 :lol::thumbsupsmileyanim: !

Hyster, I hope you'll enjoy Orlando as much as I will, because the wife, I, kid and friend are going tomorrow.

Initially, I kind of regretted the idea of going on vacation because

1) I'm the type of person who has IMMEDIATE buyer's remorse

2) I've never been there and to Disney-world (I repeatedly called it "disneyland")

3) I have a 15-year old daughter and her friend whom both put together, are a destructive combo and are at that age where they rebel against you in EVERYTHING.

But now, is it alot to anticipate? I'm hoping out FL members can throw in some more input (Victoria, you come to mind...) on what ELSE we can do besides Disneyland and Outlet Malls. What can just the wife and I do?

And now for the BIGGEST dilemma of all: what watches do I take with me?

1) I'm the type of person who has IMMEDIATE buyer's remorse

Me the exact opposite! I want more the moment I get something...

2) I've never been there and to Disney-world (I repeatedly called it "disneyland")

Big faux-pas in Florida. The locals will correct you. :lol:

3) I have a 15-year old daughter and her friend whom both put together, are a destructive combo and are at that age where they rebel against you in EVERYTHING.

They have loads of stuff to keep these teenies preoccupied. Don't worry.

What can just the wife and I do?

OKAY, don't laugh, it's not one of my sophisticated, or fashionable references -- but I do have a suggestion.

Go to Medieval Times in Kissimmee. :)

http://www.medievaltimes.com/flhomepage.htm

"The Kissimmee Castle is the flagship of the Medieval Times family. Opened in December 1983, it was the company’s first North American dinner attraction. The attraction has doubled in size with an extensive renovation that took place in spring of 2007. This includes an extended Hall of Arms, new entrance with moat and drawbridge, enclosed ticketing area, and a state of the art kitchen.

2008 introduces an electrifying new show to the castle. In addition to a new script, the production includes new lighting, choreography and battle scenes, new horse dressage elements – executed by Medieval Times’ famed Andalusian stallions – and a new soundtrack composed in the USA and performed by the Czech Republic-based Czech Film Orchestra. A new theatrical element, Medieval Times’ first use of a high-output snow machine, also adds an unexpected magical element to the guest experience.

Unique only to the Florida castle is the Medieval Life Village. This authentic village is the only permanent medieval village existing in the United States.The Grand Ceremonial Arena seats 1,100 guests and offers performances each evening plus matinee shows during certain times of the year.

The Kissimmee castle is located only eight miles from Walt Disney World, 10 miles from Sea World and 12 miles from Universal Orlando."

416_20061218_105330_2.jpg

medieval.jpg

Photo from Orlandofloridasucks.com. :lol:

Here's a list of dinner shows.

http://www.orlandofloridasucks.com/Orlando_dinner_shows.htm

Didn't go there, but the Murder Mystery Dinner show looks fun and more importantly, adult. Orlando/Kissimmee is FULL of these. In fact, they have discount coupons on eBay. Too late for you, Anton, but maybe not for Hyster, et. al.

http://www.orlandocoupons.com/directory_view.php?ad_id=80

http://destinationcoupons.com/Florida/Orla...ieval/times.asp

Anton, don't know your watches, so I can't butt in there. You're on your own! :p Good luck, babe.

@Anton below: Sounds like you have that covered! And 2005Sub's idea is fantastic. Might do that myself.

you must check out discovery cove ..

its about $200 per person but you & the kids get to swim with dolphins , you can also swim with rays , shark & barracuda lagoon ;) i was there last september & had a great time .. your kids will love it there .

breakfast & lunch are free ;) .. all snorkleing gear free .. & you get free tix for seaworld ..

ill be there the last week of september ..rock on dude .

Might not be too late, Vic! I can buy the tix from eBay and them have them shipped to my hotel!

And don't know if you remember, but are there ticket purchasing kiosks (computerized, not manned) in WDW and other Attractions?

If you're like me, I hate lines!

And oh yes, my wife also mentioned Medieval times!

Thanks again, Vic and 2005Sub!