When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3717 and IWC 3714

blade007

Hiya guys,

I am one of the "lurkers" and this is my first post. I finally managed to pluck the courage to say hello and ask a question..

I am trying to get hold of replicas of:

IWC_3717_04_00.jpg

IWC 3717

and

IW371438_00.jpg

IWC 3714 (panda, black dial with white sub-dials)

Is it possible to get this watch in Swiss ETA moment? So far I have only seen the Asian 7750 models (precious-time). I have been quoted by someone in UK for the Swiss ETA but is unable to provide pics.

Initially i wanted to get the asian 7750 models from PT and have contacted him to give me a quote.

I just need advice so I dont get ripped off. Hence I am turning to you guys.

A few questions I need your help with:

1) is there a Swiss ETA version of the above 2?

2) what would be a fair price for the above watches in Swiss ETA? (provided they exisit)

3) is the Asian 7750 versions reliable enough?

4) IWC 3714 has seconds at 6, is that a big no-no for an asian 7750?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

D

Edited by dakku

Hi Dakku, welcome aboard!

3717: I think most members with Swiss versions bought the rep with low beat Asian 7750 and had it swapped for the Swiss 7750. But if you buy a high beat Asian and have it fully serviced you will have a reliable watch as well.

3714: this one has the notorious seconds @6. I wouldn't take the risk. If you're not really anal about accuracy I know that member Pix used to have a fully working quartz version.

thanks for the warm welcome scoobs1971.

I hadnt realised that it would be possible to swap the asian 7750 for a swiss eta. In that case would it be better for me to get the asian 7750 from PT and use it until it dies. once it goes kaboom I can swap the movement for a swiss ETA?

I have been reading some nasty things about 7750 seconds at 6. has anyone had a success rate with it?

Second at 6... You're really putting a great stake on this movement. It's very risky, even after service. It's flawed by design (lacking of jewels for transfer gear for second at 6). Some just disabled this second at 6 but hey... that makes the watch looks "different".

thanks for the warm welcome scoobs1971.

I hadnt realised that it would be possible to swap the asian 7750 for a swiss eta. In that case would it be better for me to get the asian 7750 from PT and use it until it dies. once it goes kaboom I can swap the movement for a swiss ETA?

I have been reading some nasty things about 7750 seconds at 6. has anyone had a success rate with it?

You're welcome :)

The catch is that only a low beat 7750 is a 1:1 swap with a Swiss. However, an unserviced low beat is also very notorious. Most people buy it only for a immediate swap to Swiss.

With an unserviced high beat Asian the odds are better. The one in my 3717 is still working after about 4 months, but I'm planning to have it serviced soon just to be sure. In the end it's cheaper to service a working movement than a broken one - provided it can be repaired at all.

Do a search for Daytona (also 7750 w/sec @6) and you'll find lots of horror stories and just a few guys who got lucky.

I guess IWC 3714 is a no go for me in that case. I had read the horror stories but just wanted to ask anyway. Although I have a "spare" Miyota OS20 from my cheap quartz tag carrera replica. but I guess it would work out cheaper to just buy a quartz rep to begin with instead of gut out the asian 7750.

If you stick to your strategy on the 3717 of keeping the Asian movement in it until it dies the newer High beat 7750 is a more reliable movement. And as someone mentioned if you have it serviced you may never change it. However if and when you want to swap to Swiss you will need a watchsmith who can adapt the hands to fit a different cannon pinion. It certainly can be done but you do need access to a good watchsmith.

The catch is that only a low beat 7750 is a 1:1 swap with a Swiss. However, an unserviced low beat is also very notorious. Most people buy it only for a immediate swap to Swiss.

With an unserviced high beat Asian the odds are better.

Oh, I hadnt even factored in the low-high beat differences. The one that PT has is a 28,000 so I guess the swap is out of the question? do you know how much I could be looking to pay to service / replace an asian 7750?

ps: how much would a swiss eta replacement cost?

Edited by dakku

If you stick to your strategy on the 3717 of keeping the Asian movement in it until it dies the newer High beat 7750 is a more reliable movement.

I think thats the best way to look at things at the moment. Its cheaper than getting a swiss eta rep plus I can get a taste of my first automatic rep.

So far I have been wearing the cheap quartz reps I had picked up from india. haha.

oh and another question:

has anyone bought the IWC 3717 from Precious Time UK? I have read a lot of good things about his service on this forum. Any comments on the build quality etc of his version of IWC 3717 are much valued.

EDIT: just read through scoobs1971's review of IWC 3717 purchased from PT. nice one scoob, its helped me a lot.. excellent pics too.

Edited by dakku

Oh, I hadnt even factored in the low-high beat differences. The one that PT has is a 28,000 so I guess the swap is out of the question?

The subdial and chrono seconds hands of the high beat are bigger than the ones of the low beat/Swiss. The watchmaker will have to fill the gaps to make it fit.

I'm glad my pictorial review answered your question about PT ;)

I am glad I posted in the forums. Within a few minutes I not only got the answers I was looking for but I am now ready to buy the watch.

may I ask the critical question guys:

how much did you pay for your IWC 3717 from PT? Please PM me if you want to discuss this in private..

Edited by dakku

I've got a 3717 with high beat A7750 that'll soon be swapped out with a Swiss 7750.

Wow, lucky you mate, any perticular reason you are going to do the swap? Is it more of a preference or necessity? Mind if I ask re the costs involved (sorry I am new to the whole game)

I opted to have The Zigmeister service my High-Beat 3717 but I am putting a Swiss 7750 into my Slevin 3719.

I was in 2 minds if I should get the 3719 too. I think I might just have to wait.. Does The Zigmeister handle repair/mod requests from UK too? Or is there someone else capable of the job in UK?

Wow, lucky you mate, any perticular reason you are going to do the swap? Is it more of a preference or necessity? Mind if I ask re the costs involved (sorry I am new to the whole game)

I have a fairly small rep collection that I like to be of high quality. For the price I got the ETA 7750, it didn't seem worthwhile to spend almost as much to service the A7750. I also believe (perhaps erroneously) that it'll be easier to service and/or find parts for the ETA movement in the future, and since I generally don't sell my reps I thought that was important.

has anyone bought the IWC 3717 from Precious Time UK? I have read a lot of good things about his service on this forum. Any comments on the build quality etc of his version of IWC 3717 are much valued.

Um, mine is from Precious Time. It's good. You don't need to worry too much about the Asian 7750. They're rather good these days. :D

oh and another question:

EDIT: just read through scoobs1971's review of IWC 3717 purchased from PT. nice one scoob, its helped me a lot.. excellent pics too.

I just picked up one from PT a few weeks ago. The watch is stunning and the AR isn't too bad. PT's service was excellent. I would opt for having him inspect and deliver registered mail unstead of having it drop shipped from who knows where. It takes a bit longer, but worth it. PT will do a QC before shipping out to you.

• 3 weeks later...

hello all,

I received the watch from PT in perfect condition it arrived on friday but I wasnt in the office. I hate to have missed spending the weekend playing around with it. None the less it cheered up my monday morning to see a package from PT sitting at my desk.

I loved it from the moment I opened the packaging. It arrived in under 3 weeks after PT had finished doing a QC check. The communication with PT was a pleasure. Polite and Prompt (PT-PP). The quality is nothing short of what has been described in various reviews (scoob and Pug).

I will upload pics once I have the camera and kit sorted out.