When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best PAM36?

kye_lin

I have a DSN 36 and although I love it, the dial compared to pics seems a little off.

Anyways, comparing to pics is NOTHING to compare to the REAL thing. So if anyone has accces to one, please be kind to share their thoughts.

I have had access to a gen 82 and I also happen to have a DSN 82 and he's pretty close!

By the way, hi Kye! I've been loving the 192.

Cheers!

Joshua has traditionally had the best 036 since Eddie departed. His has a nice thick crown and the correct movement - All but Davidsen have the L Swiss L fault which as Ziggy has demonstrated for another member, can be corrected with an artists touch and paintbrush (thanks to the other member for going first :))

DSN's 036 dial lume color is off to me.

DSN's 036 dial lume color is off to me.

Yes it is, but so is the bright white of the "L" rep dials. DSN's is too yellow, the others are too white. Pick your poison, both need a relume to be accurate.

Also the crown on Joshua's/Ruby's 036 is too thick and the teeth are too large and there are too few of them. DSN's Ti crown is far more accurate, IMO.

Yes it is, but so is the bright white of the "L" rep dials. DSN's is too yellow, the others are too white. Pick your poison, both need a relume to be accurate.

Also the crown on Joshua's/Ruby's 036 is too thick and the teeth are too large and there are too few of them. DSN's Ti crown is far more accurate, IMO.

Totally agree. Choose your base and mod to pleasure :)

• 3 weeks later...
So who sells the one with the best CG???

Crown and dial can be modded.... I like the one with the best CG...

Kai

I have 2 036 IMO this is the better of the 2 because of the thicker CG.. this one fits better also.. and it does have the thicker crown

img1693kn4.jpg

Sorry got the pics mixed up... this is the one that DL has also

Correct DL .. sorry guy's long day and I got the pics mixed up a little but DL is spot on .. the thicker CG is the one on Joshua's site..

img1692di3.jpg

again the same as DL's pic but oxidized after I recieved it..

I believe this has also been relumed by Ziggy

Here's a little known PAM0036 fact. The 36 was released with a T dial, but there are 3 with L dials. One was used for the catalog Photo and has a marked case (now resides in the Panerai Museo Firenze. The two remaining examples are shadows (nothing on the case), one with Mr. Bonati himself and the other is unknown :1a: The L and T dials have slightly different colors with the T's being a darker color. I will shoot a scan of the two side by side by the weekend.

Here's a little known PAM0036 fact. The 36 was released with a T dial, but there are 3 with L dials. One was used for the catalog Photo and has a marked case (now resides in the Panerai Museo Firenze. The two remaining examples are shadows (nothing on the case), one with Mr. Bonati himself and the other is unknown :1a: The L and T dials have slightly different colors with the T's being a darker color. I will shoot a scan of the two side by side by the weekend.

This is getting better than TV You da Man :notworthy:

:fish:

Excellent info.. Thanks a lot Jay ;)

More great info ...many thanks ...This is one of my favourite watches ..

Mine too!!...Here's a "quick and dirty" shot of mine on a nice fat "Tootall" black strap...It's one of the newest ones to appear, and was shipped with a nice flush canon pin, a 2mm crown, and marked case...The movement is Asian non Swan neck, but with the incorrect plates...It also has probably a bit too much A/R, and the lume is probably just about right for a supposedly 10-11 yr old watch...And...the best part....: it cost $140. new!!...Sadly these are no longer available at that price...or any price for that matter, since Ti case supplies have dried up!!IMG_5621.jpg

Glad to find this post.

The PAM 036 is my favorite and I am getting one. I have two issues, one you are discussing here. Who has the best one? I see the prices are all different from Josh to Andrew to Silix.

The second issue is that more than a few people posting have said the straps that come with reps are garbage. True? Or are they being harsh? I found more than a few straps I like, but they are all $100+. :(

Any help on the straps? I think were all waiting for some consensus on the best 036.

Edited by Eastwind

Best 036 ...?

I'm waiting a little while as DSN has a new dial coming out ...CNC engraved with filled indices as per the 203/A dial released in Jan.

Initial scans look good , colour is deep dark brown although there is a question mark over the dial text font size ....which is strange considering the font has been the strong point on all DSN's previous 036 dial versions.

I like the finish DSN get's on his Ti cases and the serial markings on his 036/082 are much better than other options.

Unfortunately the CG is wrong and needs considerable re-working to get the right curved shape.

Once this is done though ...IMHO it's one of the best Ti case/cg combo's available for 082/036/040.

I am just hoping that the new DSN 036 has an improved CG / Crown.

Oh an I wish someone would make an Asian Hi Beat 6497-2 with proper engraved OPII bridges .......if the E and H series can be done then surely OPII is a no-brainer.

I hate those stick on foil plates.

Oh an I wish someone would make an Asian Hi Beat 6497-2 with proper engraved OPII bridges .......if the E and H series can be done then surely OPII is a no-brainer.

I hate those stick on foil plates.

Agree fully. This should be easy but as the 036 was the only PAM with a display back that used this movement I doubt if a good rep will happen. You will have to buy a gen B, C or D 001 and swap the movements around. Then you will have 2 apparently genuine watches for the price of one as the solid back on the gen will hide the deception. You can always swap them back again and a 001 of this era isn't too costly to buy and shouldn't depreciate now - may even be a good investment.

If a really accurate dial was available I would do it. I would sell a bunch of reps, buy the gen 001 and get the swap done. The standard of finish on the genuine Panerai movement is miles above the best Asian rep.

IMHO, start with the Josh version as it has the best CG. Not that I know whether I or the seller have any more but the gen ti crowns are handwind and I suspect were actually made for it. Finally, whip out your brass or gold paint, remove the jewels and paint the insert. I do hope DSN makes a better dial though.

I have tried Joshua's case set 3 times and I just can't get away with it but never persevered to re-work the CG.

I prefer the other std rep ti case set on 177/118 etc - I have one with an OEM ti crown fitted and it has so much potential but I am still not happy with the CG.

Also the font on Joshua's dial was too thin for me , I think Lanikai shows the best option that has been available to date.

I am not wanting to steal too much of DSN's thunder " but I think this could be the best dial we have seen yet..

New036Dial.jpg

Gen

Panerai_Marina_Militare_a1.jpg

And credit where credit is due - DSN delivers the best "back-side" for this piece...

DSCF4098.jpg

Just my 2 pence