When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Grandfather's Watch

Virgil Hilts

In 1962, my Grandfather bowled a perfect game. Since it was in a league and since they did way cool stuff like this back in the day, he got a 14K ring (which my brother has) and this Omega. He gave it to me when I turned 18. It's one of my prized possessions. Keeps great time, though I don't wear it often. I may send it to Omega for a service, if they'll take it. The dial has the AMF logo on it and at the bottom it says "Automatic Pinspotters 300 Award."

One last cool fact: My Grandfather bowled his 300 game against a team that was captained by...my other Grandfather. And my parents had just gotten married (I came along a year later) when he rolled the 300.

Anyway, enjoy the pics. I love this watch.

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

DSC03021.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

You'r very lucky to have received sucha wonderful gift!!

On the same note, my grandfather game me his (which was handed down to him by his father)rail road pocket watchI will have to have a look at it again, but if I recall correctly it's a Waltham.

Aren't gifts like that the greatest!!!

In 1962, my Grandfather bowled a perfect game. Since it was in a league and since they did way cool stuff like this back in the day, he got a 14K ring (which my brother has) and this Omega. He gave it to me when I turned 18. It's one of my prized possessions. Keeps great time, though I don't wear it often. I may send it to Omega for a service, if they'll take it. The dial has the AMF logo on it and at the bottom it says "Automatic Pinspotters 300 Award."

One last cool fact: My Grandfather bowled his 300 game against a team that was captained by...my other Grandfather. And my parents had just gotten married (I came along a year later) when he rolled the 300.

Anyway, enjoy the pics. I love this watch.

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

DSC03021.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

What a beauty!

I actually did the reverse just last week...

My grandfather has a few nice Rolex's and such from the 80's when Polaroid was booming (He was a chemical engineer and a VP), but his most prized possession was the Omega he purchased when my mother (his first of two daughters) was born.

A few years ago, he'd left the watch in his car (I guess he was taking it to a jeweler for a new strap) and gone in to pick up some dry cleaning. Someone broke into his car (at the time an older Jag XKE) and took the watch. He was heartbroken as that watch meant a lot to him.

His 80th birthday was this past Valentine's day and as a surprise, I'd worked long and hard to find a Geneve Automatic like his old one. Through a private dealer I was able to purchase post-7913-1203716531_thumb.jpg

for his birthday.

We took him in a limo with my entire extended family to his birthday dinner at a nice restaurant and he started to cry when he received the watch... one of the most amazing moments of my life.

I love stories like this! Vintage watches have such a history.