When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Eyes Are Up Here!

anton

That's what my wife says whenever we are out and she is talking to me. We are nortorious for going to restaurants often and when it gets a bit warmer, we go to outdoor cafes. We love walking down the street and shop as well.

Although I am very observant about my surroundings, I've seemed to lose a little touch with the outside world for now. What have I been doing? Watch spotting! And my wife hates it. And to think looking at other women was bad enough.

Ever since I've gotten to the fashion of watch collection and the attention to details and tastes, I've found myself peering over to other wrists whenever I have a chance. Maybe one might call me a peeping tom, but of the other kind. I stare and I see the usual suspects: A Seiko, Citizen, a Rolex Submariner, Datejust, and maybe some Tag Heuers. Everywhere I go; whether it's to Ralph Wilson Stadium to the offices by the Financial Markets, to the French Cafe in SoHo, people wear the same kinds of watches. I have been bored. Maybe if I get lucky, I see a Panerai or Breitling. That's when my appetite is whetted and I urge to strike conversation. No; it's not flirting, but the kind of excitement that someone may (hopefully) know a thing or two about their watch and what kinds of taste(s) they have.

Maybe some might see it as a "sick" interest I have, but I'm guilty of "watch spotting". I love to see a Panerai or a JLC of someonw's wrist other than mine. Then I know that there are other eccentric folks like myself. Do you do it also? And if so, does it make you disappointed when the person knows nothing about the watch on their wrist?

I'm doing this right now during the Oscars. On the phone with my boyfriend as we each watch in our countries, I keep mentioning:

"He's wearing a Breitling!" (Travolta)

"That was a Datejust" (some guy leaning over to congratulate the people from "Once", the Irish film)

"RADO! WTF"

I am very lucky, Anton. Unlike your wife, it doesn't drive my bf crazy. Bless him.

I'm doing this right now during the Oscars. On the phone with my boyfriend as we each watch in our countries, I keep mentioning:

"He's wearing a Breitling!" (Travolta)

"That was a Datejust" (some guy leaning over to congratulate the people from "Once", the Irish film)

"RADO! WTF"

I am very lucky, Anton. Unlike your wife, it doesn't drive my bf crazy. Bless him.

HAH HAH...I was going to watch the Oscars for JUST that reason.

I watch spot whenever possible...too bad when the hands are down, the wrists are at the waist and it often makes it look like I'm ogling their booty.

As to driving spouses crazy...when mine spotted I put in my order for the Braun Wristwatch Annual, she just used it as an opportunity to add some more books and take advantage of the free shipping.

HAH HAH...I was going to watch the Oscars for JUST that reason.

Toad, guys, did you catch that guy just behind Frances McDormand, in I swear a shot that lasted 1 second, wearing a Big Bang in RG??

Made an impossibly boring Oscars ceremony, a little less boring...

(Screenshot coming)

she just used it as an opportunity to add some more books and take advantage of the free shipping.

I like her.

Toad, guys, did you catch that guy just behind Frances McDormand, in I swear a shot that lasted 1 second, wearing a Big Bang in RG??

That's QUINCY FREAKING JONES!

hbbfakedh9.jpg

Actually you know what -- I think he was wearing a fake.

That's not an HBB in RG, but the one I have in YG!

289365-6343.jpg

I mean Quincy Jones owns Motown, and is an absolute legend. WTF, he buys from Abay?? :p

That's QUINCY FREAKING JONES!

hbbfakedh9.jpg

I mean Quincy Jones owns Motown, and is an absolute legend. WTF, he buys from Abay?? :p

I couldn't tell a fake or rep frm the screen cap. Heck, if Hublot themselves say they can't spot a rep without viewing the movement with a 10x loupe...there's no way I could.

Good spot...you have eyes like an eagle and Wrists of Bling. :D

Quincy looks like he's wearing an AP to me.

Oh, and today, I spotted a cow-orker wearing a 14060. I said "Is that a 14060 you're wearing?" He looked at his t-shirt, perplexed. I said "No, a Rolex. A Rolex Sub. A Rolex No-date Sub, a 14060." He smiled and said "Yes, it's a Rolex." The guy I was helping said "Damn, that was impressive! How could you tell from here?"

Look how the bezel juts out at the sides, in black "ceramic" on gold overlay. The hour hand is as white and prominent, just like my HBB. It's uncanny.

Is there an AP which looks like this?

Oh, and today, I spotted a cow-orker wearing a 14060. I said "Is that a 14060 you're wearing?" He

He? I thought you were making a pun about a female colleague. :p

looked at his t-shirt, perplexed. I said "No, a Rolex. A Rolex Sub. A Rolex No-date Sub, a 14060." He smiled and said "Yes, it's a Rolex." The guy I was helping said "Damn, that was impressive! How could you tell from here?"

NICE. +1 for the WIS in the shirt with green hoops (as I imagine you are today).

Oh, and today, I spotted a cow-orker wearing a 14060. I said "Is that a 14060 you're wearing?" He looked at his t-shirt, perplexed. I said "No, a Rolex. A Rolex Sub. A Rolex No-date Sub, a 14060." He smiled and said "Yes, it's a Rolex." The guy I was helping said "Damn, that was impressive! How could you tell from here?"

I wonder if that guy also calls his Submariner a "Submarine-er" instead of a "Sub-Mariner"

Oh, and I was doing some watch-spotting too, but again, we come to argument, the wife and I. Apparently she wasn't paying attention to the movie(s) being won and asked me. And though I looked to be concentrating on the TV screen, it wasn't surely for the women's duds or award recipients.

Is there an AP which looks like this?

Um, ok, it could be a HBB, but all the Big Bangs are rip-offs of AP Royal Oaks. Quincy seems more Audemars than Hoolop.

He? I thought you were making a pun about a female colleague. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert

"The strip has also popularized the usage of the terms