When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 1680 Dial?

Master Chief

Hi all~

I got this GEN Dial from yahoo auction today.

1680-dial.jpg

And also I need some advice for my 1680 project.

First, I need case, I think TTK's MBW 1680 Red or White,

Second,

- Gen bezel and pearl

- Gen tube and crown

- CG shaving

Last, swap Gen bracelet if I can find..

But I have no experience about these mod, I only have a Dial now.

which case is best (TTK's MBW 1680 Red or White is right choice? if not which is best?), and also I don't have any idea who to contact for Mod (CG shaving, Gen tube & crown, Gen bezel & pearl)

Can you give me some advice?

Thanks.

One of the issues I've noticed with having a genuine dial installed is that there is a little bit of rust that is creeping up from the part that was shaved.

Most of the legit white dials for 1680's are going to be in the $500 and above range. Probably within a year I imagine they'll be hard to find under $1000 in good condition and not re-dialed.

I wish that it was possible to do a 1675 rep with genuine parts. They're relatively available in the market and would be a cool new addition for MBK to try to undertake. I guess Phong might have something that would work. A really nice 5513 gilt dial could be in the cards for me at some point. Any excuse to get a watch into my collection that uses a superdome. I don't imagine gen gilt dials are going for very cheap, though.

I think you're right about re-dials. I like my SD dial, it's one of the better redials I've seen as an amateur, but I still think it has some glaring weaknesses.

When I think back to those MBW dials, I shudder.

Exactly. ;) And I have seen gen dials in those MBW cases. Sorry, but it's rubbish. The side markers are too short after trimming and it just stands out as a big flaw. Totally destroys anything a gen dial is for.

The sad thing is, for the price you probably paid for this fake dial, you could ahve gotten a pretty okay 1680 white dial fully genuine - with a little touch up it would have been like new.

But it still wouldn't have fit though, right?? Or do gen 1680 dials fit MBW 1680's? :unsure:

I still like having the gen dial in there, flaws or not- it looks a lot better than any reasonable alternative. In terms of the shaving down of the dial- it sucks that it's necessary, but apparently someone recently increased the diameter of the case to be able to make it fit, therefore preserving the dial in it's original condition.

I've seen a genuine red 1680 dial being sold that had been shaved down for presumably an aftermarket case. I was very surprised when I saw it considering the price of the dial. It's one thing to risk damaging and de-valuing a genuine white dial, but when you're talking about a red dial worth a few grand, it's a different story. I still think it's going to be rare to see vintage genuine dials in good condition that are not service dials going for $300 in a couple of years. Especially with the way it looks like inflation has been underestimated in the US dollar/economy.

Thanks for many advice!!

Today morning, I communicate with auction seller and confirm that it is re-painted dial (GEN), and dial size is 27mm

toomuchgear said that If it is GEN and size 27mm, it is not fit MBW 1680.

Now, I'm at a loss what to do.... :g::g:

Is there any case fit perfectly in 27mm dial?

Edited by Master Chief

No, there is not.

The genuine dial that is in my 1680 was shaved down to be able to fit- so more than just the dial feet needed to be modded. If you're going to buy a re-dial, then get a red re-dial.

The dial fits, but it doesn't fit without modifications. There is some debate as to whether it is worthwhile, considering you're 'damaging' an expensive part. I think that while some might be able to find them for less than $700, I personally don't see them out there for less than that if we're talking about genuine vintage in good condition. Whether that is a realistic mod for most folks is debatable, in terms of the value of putting that type of $$ into a part that you are going to have a hard time re-selling for as much as you paid, even with the rapidly appreciating vintage parts market.

Thanks mezzanine.

People say that 'don't give up so easily!'

But I would better give it up. :cry:

:blowup:

Thanks guys again for your great advices!! :wub:

No, there is not.

The genuine dial that is in my 1680 was shaved down to be able to fit- so more than just the dial feet needed to be modded. If you're going to buy a re-dial, then get a red re-dial.

The dial fits, but it doesn't fit without modifications. There is some debate as to whether it is worthwhile, considering you're 'damaging' an expensive part. I think that while some might be able to find them for less than $700, I personally don't see them out there for less than that if we're talking about genuine vintage in good condition. Whether that is a realistic mod for most folks is debatable, in terms of the value of putting that type of $$ into a part that you are going to have a hard time re-selling for as much as you paid, even with the rapidly appreciating vintage parts market.

That's my opinion as well... Better cases are available...

Go ahead, trim the case with a lathe so the rehaut is a bit more open and the dial lip is 27mm dia. Then a gen dial can be fit without mods on the dial. But then, with all the works - why not go for a better case and do the whole list, incl. gen movement. :)

You mean one of these "viet-cases"?

I would love to have a properly fitted 1680 case (although it's too late for me), but aren't these viet-cases super expensive? There's a line of diminishing returns for me, where a case that's a few hundred more is probably more than I can spend.

I'm tempted to put a 5513 dial into a project at some point. I'm not holding my breath, nor am I really burning to get into another project. It would be a cool situation if we could arrange wholesale pricing for some of Phong's stuff that would be a "next step" in the quality of rolex rep bases.