When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Milgauss

dadog13

I think this is repped, but the rep is only 37mm, and the gen measures at 40mm.

thanks for the info (I've looked on dealers websites but found different dial colors - not this one)...I would never consider wearing a 37mm watch...I could close an eye for a 40mm if done properly... ;)

Initially, I hated this watch. Then, after seeing a few well-photographed samples pop up on TZ, it started to grow on me.......at least enough to encourage me to take a trip to an AD to see 1 in the flesh. But as soon as I put it on my wrist, any & all attraction vanished. Orange & green with big, honking index markers.......yuck. And putting that lightning bolt hand on this circus watch just makes things worse. Overall, the impression it left on me was even worse than the LV (which was not good). I think this model will become Rolex's next Edsel -- a great idea (to reissue the classic Milgauss) that was executed poorly (redesigning a classic to appeal to the blingy crowd instead of updating the original to maintain its classic appeal).

I don't dislike this watch, as I always like colorful watches. But somehow all these sports/toolwatches with "smooth" polished bezels look a bit old fashioned today.

It's kinda ironic, people always complain that Rolex doesn't change, but when they change they don't like it, either. I think the new GMT Master II is a nice watch, but somehow it lost all the originality and feel of the original. It's a good looking sports watch, but it doesn't have any "spirit" anymore, just imho.

They didn't touch the white Explorer II yet, but I'm afraid they'll ruin it too. It shouldn't be touched, it's perfect.

But then again, this is probably how people felt when the El Primero Daytona was introduced, too.

It's kinda ironic, people always complain that Rolex doesn't change, but when they change they don't like it, either.

Oddly, I am probably 1 of the few vintage (steel) fans who consider the new Yachtmaster 2 (in yellow gold, no less) to be a pretty striking piece of watch machinery (if you are unfamiliar with the YM2's technical feats, I would encourage you to go to rolex.com & read about it)

ym2.jpg

Of course, I would never be caught dead wearing such a flamboyant watch (I actually find it less objectionable than the original YM with its raised bezel lettering), but it is definitely the kind of thing I might hide in the back of my watch box & ogle (as opposed to google) on cold, winter nights.

Of course, I would never wear a flamboyant watch like the YM2 (or the original YM), but it is definitely the kind of thing I might hide in the back of my watch box & take out on cold, winter nights to goggle (as opposed to google) at on occasion.

You know, that's pretty how I feel about the YMI. I don't wear it much in public, but the rep is very accurate and nice. I love to have it in my collection.

YM is actually much nicer in person. I don't know why, but it's very difficult to show in pictures. Even the technically good shots I've managed to take, somehow don't "capture" the looks of this watch.

YMII is probably quite an achievement horologically, but I think it's just plain ugly. But who knows, maybe it's nicer in person, too.

Initially, I hated this watch. Then, after seeing a few well-photographed samples pop up on TZ, it started to grow on me.......at least enough to encourage me to take a trip to an AD to see 1 in the flesh. But as soon as I put it on my wrist, any & all attraction vanished. Orange & green with big, honking index markers.......yuck. And putting that lightning bolt hand on this circus watch just makes things worse. Overall, the impression it left on me was even worse than the LV (which was not good). I think this model will become Rolex's next Edsel -- a great idea (to reissue the classic Milgauss) that was executed poorly (redesigning a classic to appeal to the blingy crowd instead of updating the original to maintain its classic appeal).

Did you see the GV or the regular? I stopped in 3 or for ADs and none had the new Milguass. I like the green sapphire, it looks cool in pictures, but I doubt the edge looks that green in person. Its probably like regular sapphire, which has a bluish tint that can be seen around the edge of the crystal at certain angles. When you do see it though, it looks pretty blue, almost electric.

Did you see the GV or the regular? I stopped in 3 or for ADs and none had the new Milguass. I like the green sapphire, it looks cool in pictures, but I doubt the edge looks that green in person. Its probably like regular sapphire, which has a bluish tint that can be seen around the edge of the crystal at certain angles. When you do see it though, it looks pretty blue, almost electric.

The area Rolex rep was in the store & she was showing all 3 of the new Milgauss models (the 2 green anniversarys were already pre-sold so I was unable to try 1 on, but I did see it on the rep's wrist). Under the store lights, it was VERY green. I actually thought the green crystal, on its own, was kind of cool. But having the green crystal fitted to that overdone dial & blingy case made the watch look like cheap, costume jewelry. Not at all to my taste. But to be fair, I do not like most of the modern models, which is why my collecting is centered around vintage pieces. But now that the initial newness has begun to wear off, I have been noticing a definite cooling off of interest for the new Milgauss models on TZ as well. So it may not just be me.