When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Suggestions for gift Caveat:

TeeJay

One of my friends is looking to get a watch for her partner for his birthday, and asked if I could suggest anything. The problem, is that he has severe allergies. Any kind of metal in a watch is likely to bring about a severe nickel reaction (think Vampire wearing silver :lol: ) I suggested a bund strap, which would keep a watch back off his wrist, but, there's still the issue of the buckle. I'm figuring this really only leaves ceramic options, like the Chanel range. I wondered about PVD, and said I would enquire, as to if the PVD coating itself acts as a barrier against contact, with regards nickel allergies, or, if it is just considered 'part of the metal', or, if it is chemically similar enough to trigger a reaction itself.

There's no hurry, I'm just soliciting opinions which I could pass on.

Thanks in advance :)[Edit to add]

I just thought: Would titanium contain nickel?

Edited by TeeJay

TeeJay, just to note that people will suggest you coat the buckle with clear nail varnish.

This past year I went through a highly allergic time in my life. I'm still in a critical moment, with many triggers. So I can say without doubt that the clear nail varnish only partially works.

I'm sure with less allergic others the trick works, but I still have angry rep splotches where the buckle is coated. :(

Looked this up online for you.

Grade 1, Commercially Pure Titanium Composition

Titanium 99.67

Carbon 0.08

Iron 0.03

Nitrogen 0.03

Oxygen 0.18

Hydrogen 0.015

So no nickel...the problem is, most rep watch makers cheat. Many Ti watches are hardly that.

@TeeJay: Quite so, but I meant if you buy the Bund Strap, which would minimise the need for a full watch coating. :) ...I have a Bund strap. Looks hideous on me. So far the only woman I know who looks good with one is our beloved Megan Fox.

TeeJay, just to note that people will suggest you coat the buckle with clear nail varnish.

This past year I went through a highly allergic time in my life. I'm still in a critical moment, with many triggers. So I can say without doubt that the clear nail varnish only partially works.

I still have angry rep splotches where the buckle is coated. :(

Looked this up online for you.

Grade 1, Commercially Pure Titanium Composition

Titanium 99.67

Carbon 0.08

Iron 0.03

Nitrogen 0.03

Oxygen 0.18

Hydrogen 0.015

So no nickel...the problem is, most rep watch makers cheat. Many Ti watches are hardly that.

Thanks for the information. Clear coat might work on the buckle and back (or partially so, as you point out) but, if the watch itself is also metal, the whole watch would need to be coated :lol: That's why I wondered about PVD coatings. I wondered about the titanium option, but wouldn't want her to buy something based on that, only to have him then react to it as well :lol:

A Rock watch. ( Swatch watch ) on a plastic strap. (seriously).

The whole case is made from ( if I can remember), volcanic rock, shaped and polished, ( think lapidiary)

A different alternative for someone with severe allergies.

Clear polish will eventually wear off with use so not recommended in case of allergy.

Do rock, ceramic and other watches have the same material for the caseback or is this SS with nickel in it?

The ones I thought of, still had an SS caseback, which was why I thought abuot titanium.

I don't know why the SS would cause an allergic reaction. I am allergic to nickel as well and so is my mother. I have no problem wearing SS reps. I even bought my mom a SS masterpiece and she wears it regularly. I also bought her a genuine two tone datejust and she has no problems. The high grade 316l or better steel is non allergenic. I have had bad reactions from some rep Panerais however. They may use a lower grade steel on the larger watches due to the cost factor. I also get the red bumps and rash from some gold plated watches. My daytonas, subs, yachtmasters and day dates seem to be the most comfortable watches that never have a reaction on me. You may also want to look into a genuine Seiko. I have recently seen the automatic black and orange monsters brand new for $200. Rubber straps and high grade steel you can't go wrong.

I don't know why the SS would cause an allergic reaction. I am allergic to nickel as well and so is my mother. I have no problem wearing SS reps. I even bought my mom a SS masterpiece and she wears it regularly. I also bought her a genuine two tone datejust and she has no problems. The high grade 316l or better steel is non allergenic. I have had bad reactions from some rep Panerais however. They may use a lower grade steel on the larger watches due to the cost factor. I also get the red bumps and rash from some gold plated watches. My daytonas, subs, yachtmasters and day dates seem to be the most comfortable watches that never have a reaction on me. You may also want to look into a genuine Seiko. I have recently seen the automatic black and orange monsters brand new for $200. Rubber straps and high grade steel you can't go wrong.

As mentioned, this is someone who is extremely sensitive (and to a huge range of things) I had a look into the rock watches, but, they were for the ladies, and this would be for a guy... I think the best option might be something in full titanium. It didn't have to be a rep or even a huge name, just something he could actually wear :lol: